Rate the Song: Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WGRYWH

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
As I explained in the results thread, I have waited off on starting to post rating threads for the 90s until the forum had cleared out a bit of all of the gazillion rating threads that were open in it for several days. But now it is time to start ranking the songs of Achtung Baby!

Please rate Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

It took me quite some time for WGRYWH to grow on me, but it really has. It's somewhat dark, maybe uplifting by the last chorus. I love Bono's lyrics and Edge's strumming on this one as well.

9. Amazing to listen to.

10. Loved since the day I first heard it. And I still do. The double guitar in the album version is just unmatched by the live versions, yet they did come close a couple of times doing it well. I love the emotional vocals, the drums, so different than Larry's standard hi hat and snare stuff. Great, great song.

You couldn't drag me away from this one. Like a beautiful, wet salt water kiss, this one sounds a little different than anything else on this brilliant album.

For some reason this one reminds me of R&H.

^ Well said!!! :up:

I was hooked the first time I heard it. The lyrics are incredible, and the video, well, don't get me started. I was lucky enough to hear it live. :heart: An easy 10 for me.

Also the song that hooked me and made me a U2 fan. This video was in constant rotation on MTV, but I never got sick of it. Even one or two cringeworthy lyrics don't diminish its power. 10

The song would probably only get a 7 from me if it wasn't for the bridge. The whole bridge is so beautiful and powerful that it takes the song to higher level. 9

This song deserves a huge 10 rating! The imagery of the lyrics is so beautiful.

Took a drive in the dirty rain
To a place where the wind calls your name
Under the trees, the river laughing at you and me
Halllelujah.
Heaven's white rose
The doors you open, I just can't close.

I absolutely adore the song, but some lyrics make me cringe, so I was going to give it a 9.

However, then I remembered the video so I gave it a 10 again.

Another Achtung 9. Great vocals, plus a good drumbeat. The distorted guitar at the beginning is soooo... atmospheric. It's lovely.

6ro4nq.gif

:shifty:

This song (especially the chorus) is the most out of step on AB. In fact, with a few minor alterations, it would fit more snuggly on R&H. In that respect, it sticks out like a sore thumb on the album, but that doesn't detract from the fact it's superbly crafted (the violin and guitar clashing intro is pure magic). 9

Please change my vote to a 10. No idea how people can say this would have fitted better on R&H, it works perfectly on this album. Without this song, I don't think I'd be as big a U2/music fan as I am today. What a chorus.

A very beautiful and haunting song. The lyrics, to me, seem as if are coming from a tortured lover that accepts the fact that she has won and lost at the same time. 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom