Rate the Song: Walk On

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Walk On

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
The 90s are over! We are almost done with this competition. Today begins the first voting round of the 2000s, as we rate the first half of All That You Can't Leave Behind.

Please rate Walk On on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

7. Lately it's been stuck in my head. I was pretty meh after hearing it every time on the 360 tour, and I still think it didn't deserve to be played every night, but the studio version is nice to hear after a while.

10. Within my top 5 U2 songs. It sucked on 360, but I try to block it out. The studio version and live versions from the Elevation era are so great. Love this one to bits.

Another modern classic on this amazing album. A song I instantly fell in love with and understood, and the Slane Castle version gives me chills every time I hear it. Perfect show closer that was misused on 360.

My personal theme song for much of the 00's, even when I was a casual fan and didn't know it was about Aung San Suu Kyi. Just an uplifting and comforting message. 9

Like most of the songs on the record, corny as fuck, but Edge's work here is very, very good. I especially like the guitar riff during the Eclipse-like ending.

When ignoring birds and cages and flying for freedom and taking in mind that guitar riff, I'm feeling generous so what the hell, a 9.

The 360 version was a travesty though.

U2 on autopilot, but this annihilates Beautiful Day.

At its best (if we're talking different live versions), one of their Top 3 or so of the 00's.

I still hate the aches/breaks rhyme though. That's amateur hour and I have to deduct a point for it.

I must say, though I absolutely love Walk On, I HATE the "Halle, halles" in the post 9/11 versions. The "hallelujahs" were great, but I've heard "halle"s in many songs, and they never fail to sound extremely contrived.

I didn't mind the 360 version at all, especially the longer break in the middle. As for the song itself, it's one of the reasons I'm here today. It came out during a time in my life when I really needed some sort of message of hope, and it came through in that regard times 10.

I think I became bored of this song after the third or fourth listen. The imagery is forced and totally cliched. The chorus is corny as hell. Edge does some good solid work here, but it's nothing to write home about. Just a generic rock anthem that Snow Patrol could probably do better. 3

7. This song has had it's ups and downs with me. Every once in a while I start to really dislike it but then I'll give it a listen (the studio version) after a while and BAM! it slaps me across the face, reminding me how good of a song it really is. Not U2's best, and not exactly a classic but a very nice tune. I'm not really a fan of the 360 performances but to say one nice thing about it, I did enjoy You'll Never Walk Alone added to the end of it.

I'm going to step out on a limb here. As much as I love this album and the heart and soul put behind most of these songs, this song is like brushing your teeth with sugar and swishing with syrup. I love the thought behind this song but come on, it's just a shot out there for all the greatness in the world, if there ever was any. On another note, let someone request this song to be played instead of playing it ALL of the time... 7. Redundancy seems to be a common theme here.

My production complaints hold for this one; very glossy and poppy for what is actually a pretty hefty song, lyrically. And the lyrics do occasionally thud pretty hard here and there, really indulging in sap. But it has a strong chord progression, and the last couple of minutes build up to greatness. A well-written song with some flaws. 7.

Easy 10. Loved this song live, and the album version captures the same emotion, in my opinion. Just amazing. Will always remind me of the 9/11 tragedy, as well as the overused topic of Aung San Suu Kyi.

When I first heard this one, on the album, I was stunned to hear a radio-friendly version of The Unforgettable Fire sound. I thought it was way too retro for U2's own good. I still feel that way sometimes, and the lyric is maybe reaching for sublimity a bit more than the song can deliver, but it's yet another enjoyable U2 anthem, so it's all good.

I love it, does remind me of 9/11 time, but still a great song.

Listening it in some studio headphones provides much more depth than you'd think. All songs generally do, but this one even more.

Again, I get all the criticism, but that still doesn't prevent me from loving it unconditionally. 10.

Eclipse-like ending

Roger Waters and Dave Gilmour want their money back.

:love:

I must say, though I absolutely love Walk On, I HATE the "Halle, halles" in the post 9/11 versions. The "hallelujahs" were great, but I've heard "halle"s in many songs, and they never fail to sound extremely contrived.

Really? Not even RTSS on ZooTV?

My production complaints hold for this one; very glossy and poppy for what is actually a pretty hefty song, lyrically. And the lyrics do occasionally thud pretty hard here and there, really indulging in sap. But it has a strong chord progression, and the last couple of minutes build up to greatness. A well-written song with some flaws. 7.

Well put, hoss. 7 for me too.

Back
Top Bottom