Rate the Song: Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TSOHOSOD

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Let's continue today with the second round of voting on 90s non-album songs. The whole list is:

Alex Descends into Hell for a Bottle of Milk/Korova 1
Lady with the Spinning Head
Salomé
Where Did It All Go Wrong?
Slow Dancing
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Viva Davidoff
Holy Joe
North and South of the River
I'm Not Your Baby
Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad
Sweetest Thing (new version)
Blow Your House Down
Heaven And Hell
Oh Berlin
Near The Island
Down All The Days
Everybody Loves A Winner

This round will have the second set of six songs, Viva Davidoff through the new version of Sweetest Thing.

Please rate Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

Wait... now, everyone's giving this a '10'? Yes, it's clearly the equal of 'Where The Streets Have No Name' or 'Bad'... (shakes head in stunned disapproval, then goes back to the beer-nuts)

LadySpinHead said:
Oh crap- I didn't know we were only allowed two 10's. Sorry I broke the rules, everyone! :sad:

It's okay, I'll arbitrarily correct all of your votes for you.

I'm not sure how I feel about this one.

I remember hearing for years that Bono wrote a song for Sinatra (I think I might have read about it the first time in Flanagan's book) and always wanting to hear it. Then when I finally did, it was a bit of a let down. The song has its moments, but it's more just Bono trying to play at being a crooner rather than actually doing it...i.e. he never feels completely committed to the song while he's singing it. And the lyrics...on one hand, I love them, and on the other hand I think Bono writing in the first person about Sinatra, and then singing it, seems a bit pretentious frankly. I know the song was written both for and about Sinatra, but I think it would have been more interesting (and more challenging) for Bono to simply write a song for Sinatra to sing, without it being auto-biographical. Now that I think about it, he took much the same approach with The Wanderer as he did w/this song, but to a generally more effective result.

It's not bad by any stretch (U2 has recorded much worse songs when experimenting w/different genres), and it definitely has more to it than most of the era's B-Sides, but there's just some ingredient missing. Probably Sinatra, in whose honour this song gets a lucky 7.

Wait... now, everyone's giving this a '10'? Yes, it's clearly the equal of 'Where The Streets Have No Name' or 'Bad'... (shakes head in stunned disapproval, then goes back to the beer-nuts)

Yea, it's clearly nowhere near anything on TUF. So it can't have a 10 as only that album deserves it.

OH WAIT...

One of my least-favorite non-album songs. I will only give this a 5 because Bono's vocals are just so great and very fitting for a song like this one. :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom