Rate The Song: Twilight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate The Song: Twilight

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Today we shall begin the bulk of the Rate The Song series by evaluating the first half of Boy, excluding I Will Follow.

Please rate Twilight on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close 96 hours from when it was posted.

This one doesn't really do it for me. There's something ungainly about the guitar riff, and the rhythm is awkward. Histrionic vocals don't help! I give it a 5.

Question: this song first appeared as the B-side of "Another Day", and it says it's the 'demo' (this track is quite poorer yet, in my opinion -- can anyone stand hearing Bono sing "Twilight! Twilight!" in a fake accent about 100 times in row?). Anyway, my Q is -- does this very same track appear on the Best of 1980-1990 B-sides disc?

Twilight is another one of those 'not bad' songs on Boy. I seriously like the guitar riff that is heard throughout the song, yet the rest of the song is just confusing. Maybe because Bono's vocals are odd and the song goes from fast to even faster at one point.

It's not bad, though. I give it a 6.

I give it a 7 because it's a pretty cool song.

And on a side note, when I'm talking about Twilight, I'm not talking about that god-forsaken movie. It needs to be brought to the attention that 'Twilight' was U2 song way before the title was taken and turned into something about vampires. :shrug:

Easily a 10! A classic song with a wonderful guitar line and a great guitar solo. I also love Larry's drums live, particularly on the RED ROCKS recording in the build up to the chorus each time. So militant and powerful with that drumming!

The best song U2 wrote until Achtung Baby. It has a great melody, is emotionally complex, has vaguely menacing lyrics, wonderful dynamics...and then there's the guitar playing. It is reminiscent of "Pretty Vacant" but takes it to the next level. Each verse has a different guitar part that adds or decreases tension, and the build up to the release of the guitar solo, and then the resolution that comes with the final chorus, is perfect. It is a flawless composition. One the best songs ever written.

The best song U2 wrote until Achtung Baby. It has a great melody, is emotionally complex, has vaguely menacing lyrics, wonderful dynamics...and then there's the guitar playing. It is reminiscent of "Pretty Vacant" but takes it to the next level. Each verse has a different guitar part that adds or decreases tension, and the build up to the release of the guitar solo, and then the resolution that comes with the final chorus, is perfect. It is a flawless composition. One the best songs ever written.

trolololololololol

7: the album version is not that special, live at Red Rocks is a whole different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom