Rate the Song: Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around the World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TTTYAATW

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Now it is time to rate the second half of Achtung Baby.

Please rate Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around the World on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

The only one with an 8 on this album. It's an uplifting song in the middle of a lot of heavy work. But it's a bit too playful, though still a great song with good lyrics. Shame my favourite lyric in it is a stolen one. :wink:

Nice tune that is definitely needed on Achtung Baby. U2 were good at playful songs in the early 90's. 8

Tied with Love Is Blindness as my least favorite track on Achtung Baby. But, TTTYAATW does not suck at all. It's a great, calm tune. Love Adam's bass on this one. Would have been interesting to see it in U2360 after the brief rehearsals in Torino that didn't seem to work out.

In other words, an 8 from me.

This song is all Adam and Larry, with the other two taking something of a back seat. Great bass line and a watery drum beat. A doozy. Ideally I'd give it 7.5 as 8 is a little too high and 7 is underselling it...I'll go with 7 and leave it up to Digitize to add 0.5 :D

A filler it seems IMO, but a very amusing filler lyrically. The lyrics are really note worthy and it's just fun to listen to. 8.

AB's weak link musically and especially lyrically is still a pretty fine tune…which tells you just how good AB is.

Agreed.

It has it's function on the album, a nice come down after the fly and mysterious ways, and lulls you into a false sense of security before the emotianal assault of the next three songs.
Great live as well.

Listening to this album back in 1991/92, this was one of my 3 or 4 favorite songs. I don't like it quite as much today, but I still think this is a killer track. It has a wonderful woozy, late-night after-hours kind of vibe, with that killer bassline behind it. It's probably a better track than anything on No Line on the Horizon (even though it didn't fly live).

Back
Top Bottom