Rate the Song: The Playboy Mansion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Playboy Mansion

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Today we shall begin voting on the second half of Pop.

Please rate The Playboy Mansion on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

For a song about the playboy masion, it's not very sexy:wink:
Nah, I like this song, nice break from U2s usual style. Lyrics are a little dated now, but I don't think that's such a big issue.

Another song that has really grown on me - still one of my least favorites on Pop, but it's good. Different from the other songs on Pop, which is why I seem to like it now. Great lyrics and melody. 6.

This song is hilarious. It was originally called 'Hymn to the Universe'. I like the lyrics mainly but the overall song is just meant to be a *rimshot* it seems. 4.

What's not to love? Awesome funky guitar that sounds like no other U2 song but still sounds like Edge, groovy and catchy melody, witty and intelligent lyrics, and the theme fits in perfectly with the rest of Pop. Fantastic track.

I do wonder what the 2002 (or 3?) version sounded like. It was supposed to be a B-Side to one of the singles of The Hands That Built America, but that particular single was scrapped.

Either way, do like this song a good bit.

This song gets knocked around way too much. Yes, the lyrics are too on-the-nose at times. But the music is just awesome, such a cool and fresh groove for the band.

love it! it's a little bit different but beautifully understated and gorgeous, works for me :heart:

This is a song that soon grew for me after getting POP and has remained pretty consistent in my affections. I agree with mama in saying that it is a little different (certainly for u2) and notice that people i know who would not describe themselves as u2 fans get into this song. I have always loved the way the lyrics seems to me both playful/throwaway on the surface yet very affecting.

I also find it more than a bit moving with it's comment (or so it seems to me) on the old but also very modern trend of how "if i just had this appliance, this amount of luxury (as opposed to necessisty) i would be happy. I rate the song a 9 and if anybody is interested what i have written below are some of the big reasons for that.

The lyric in the song

love come on down

Seems to really get to me, as if you just buy the right thing/the right ticket you will find love (romantic/spiritual). It also seems to correspond to me to to the ammount of self help/fake spiritual charlatans out there who want your cash and pertains perhaps to u2s rattle and hum comments.

i think even in subtle ways modern media can seduce and cajole and i am not preaching from any pulpit here. I have been caught on occasions in my own life.

Favourite other lyrics

what have we got to lose
another push and maybe we'll be through
the gates of that mansion

Finally i find the end both beautiful and a little heartbreaking in desperation in the way it is repeatedly sung and the music within it.

then will there be no time of sorrow
then will there be no time for pain
then will there be no time of sorrow
then will there be no time for shame

Back
Top Bottom