Rate the Song: The Ground Beneath Her Feet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Ground Beneath Her Feet

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It was only played live for one leg of the Elevation tour (hence the word "hardly"), and it was never officially released as a single (hence "not a single") and got very little airplay (hence "relatively unknown outside U2 fandom").

Here's the relevant excerpt from Wiki:

..:: U2 Discography - The Ground Beneath Her Feet Promo Single - U2 Wanderer.org ::..

This was the first release by U2 in the 2000s. The promotional version was released to radio on February 8, 2000, to promote the movie "The Million Dollar Hotel". The movie itself had been co-written by Bono, and was a project he also makes a brief cameo appearance in. The song was written by Salman Rushdie for his book, "The Ground Beneath Her Feet". U2 recorded the song for possible inclusion for their album due in the fall of 2000, but the song was given to the soundtrack album instead. It would still appear on All That You Can't Leave Behind as a bonus track in Europe, and Japan.
The Ground Beneath Her Feet was released as a promotional single only. The accompanying video that was shot got very little airplay. Two versions of the promo were released, on in the UK and one in North America. Only the UK version featured the multimedia trailer for the movie.

Like I said, it was a promo single. Hence, "promo single."

I was relying on the whole "it wasn't released as a single" thing when I said it wasn't single:

"The Ground Beneath Her Feet" was originally intended to be a single, therefore a music video was created for the song's release. However, Interscope Records declined to give the song a single release because U2 were on the verge of completing their new album, All That You Can't Leave Behind, and record executives did not want to confuse fans by releasing a non-album single. Instead, a promotional single was released to media sources, but it received very little airplay on both radio and television.

I love that people here are bickering about how obscure this song is or isn't, while the other day, a cafe near my place was playing The Ground Beneath Her Feet and I thought "wow, that's a really mainstream thing for them to play".

Anyway, who gives a shit how obscure a song is; I give a shit how good a song is, and this one is one of U2's few 2000s gems. 10. There are a few strong 9s to come, but I'm not sure I'll be dropping a 10 again.

We should just ask Digi to set the end result already. Who cares about different opinions? They're just bullshit anyway if they don't agree with me. :tsk:
Don't worry, all of the results will be totally doctored by me anyway.

I work for the same statistics team that was hired by Newt Gingrich's campaign to tell him that he still has a chance to be President.

Sad that it took them almost ten years to return to this type of exotic atmosphere, vaguely middle-eastern sound.

And as LM said, better than almost everything on ATYCLB, not necessarily writing-wise, but in execution. The playing and the production are perfect.

th_shootself.gif

th_shootself.gif

th_shootself.gif

th_shootself.gif

th_shootself.gif

th_shootself.gif

Nick66 dating profile

Hey ladies, want to get it on with the motherfucking HAN SOLO OF INTERFERENCE?? (it's a U2 website) I'm looking for a girl who can take a daily regimen of insults, but also rock my world with statements I can dissect. That would be rad. Come and fucking get it.

Turnons: Conformity, discourse
Turnoffs: Obscurity, subjectivity

Proudest achievements: Saved Larry Mullen Jr. from looking like a pansy back in the '80s, pointed out 25 unique post counts this month

The last time I listened to this song was about 3-4 years back. I finished listening to it (twice already), and wow - love it now. Such a great vibe, as well as a Middle Eastern sound.

In my opinion, much more experimental than all of the tracks on ATYCLB. Weak start, great finish. 10.

Nick66 dating profile

Hey ladies, want to get it on with the motherfucking HAN SOLO OF INTERFERENCE?? (it's a U2 website) I'm looking for a girl who can take a daily regimen of insults, but also rock my world with statements I can dissect. That would be rad. Come and fucking get it.

Proudest achievements: Saved Larry Mullen Jr. from looking like a pansy back in the '80s, pointed out 25 unique post counts this month

:lol:

This song and Stateless are my two favorite U2 songs of the last decade. And neither appeared on an actual U2 album. I'm sure they were both recorded in late '99, so you could still call them 90s U2 songs...before the horror that was to follow in the dreaded 00s :wink:

That's because the comment was originally posted in that thread. Which is where my response to it is now.

I am pleased to know that I am not losing my fool mind, and am able to differentiate between the different song threads I'm posting in.

Yay for U2 multitasking!

Fucking gorgeous tune. One of the best post-Pop U2 tracks.

Love Rushdie's words and the sentiment behind them, the lead keyboard/synth line, Bono's delivery, Edge kicking in for the last minute of the song to bring it to a high-energy finish.

Yes.

Nick66 dating profile

Best shit ever.

Song's pretty damn good, too. 8 for me.

Nick66 dating profile

Please tell me you're no more than 15.

Damn, I've got some bad news for you.

Ah, so you can't come up with anything but insults, so you'll just make up quotes. Classy. At least if you were 15 you'd have some other excuse for behaving like this and having nothing better to do with your time.

LemonMelon
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 02:17 AM

Back
Top Bottom