Rate the Song: Sweetest Thing [ORIGINAL VERSION]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swedish Thing

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
I have decided to expand the list of TUF-TJT-R&H non-album songs to poll Interference on, so this will be the second of now three voting rounds on those songs. The full list is (and feel free to suggest adding some):

Disappearing Act
Love Comes Tumbling
The Three Sunrises
Bass Trap
Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come
Boomerang I
Boomerang II
Luminous Times (Hold on to Love)
Walk to the Water
Spanish Eyes
Silver and Gold
Drunk Chicken/America
Sweetest Thing (original version)
Wave of Sorrow (Birdland)
Hallelujah Here She Comes
A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel
She's a Mystery To Me
Deep in the Heart
Beautiful Ghost/Introduction to Songs of Experience
Desert of Our Love
Rise Up
Yoshino Blossom

We will address Spanish Eyes through A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel today.

Please rate the original version of Sweetest Thing on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

flybabe said:
Nope. I hate the 'new' version as it is, but this was just God-awful. 5.

Something seems wrong here. You dislike this more than a song you "hate", yet still give it a 5? :confused:

I really hope Bono gave his wife a much more deserving birthday present cos this song blows in any incarnation. 3

I definitely prefer the 1998 re-do, but the original version is not bad, though Bono's vocals were just terrible. Giving it a 5. :shrug:

:up:

I disagree with your overall score (I gave the song a 6 I think), but :applaud: for deviating from the norm. :)

I do agree that the vocal performance is not as bad as everyone says.

Thanks Nick.

On reflection 9 may be a bit high my judgement may be clouded due to the amount I played it in the 80s :)

Back
Top Bottom