Rate the Song: Stay (Faraway, So Close!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stay

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Today ushers in voting for the first half of Zooropa.

Please rate Stay (Faraway, So Close!) on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

8. I enjoy Stay a lot, the studio version and '93 live version with the full band are good. But the acoustic live versions? Meh.

8. I enjoy Stay a lot, the studio version and '93 live version with the full band are good. But the acoustic live versions? Meh.

Agreed, the acoustic versions are meh.

Studio cut though is perfect.
Maybe U2's greatest ever video too.

This is my all time favorite song by anyone ever. It's one of a few songs that can really make me cry, it's just so damn beautiful. When I first bought and listened to Zooropa this was one of the first and only songs I really connected with. Holds a special place with me and always takes me back to the time period I first listened to it. The ZooTv Sydney version is fantastic also. :drool: And I have no hate at all for the acoustic performances. If not for acoustic I probably wouldn't have seen Stay in Philadelphia this summer. Made my night when they played it.

There my love for this song has been expressed.:heart:

My favorite track on Zooropa. I would have killed to hear it last summer, even acoustically, as I got North Star at my show (which I enjoyed) - I have faith that I will get to hear Stay in the future. But anyways, an incredible track. Easy 10.

both this song (and wowy, funnily enough) are strange. i never used to understand why people fawned over them and thought they were so amazing. i used to skip past stay most of the times i'd listen to zooropa. then when i heard it live, it clicked for me and i finally "got" the song.

This song is the result of all involved people and forces acheiving their absolute peak at the exact same time. The album version is my favorite song of all time, and I've felt that way since I first heard it at age 13, back in 1995.

If I could give it more than 10, I would. This song, by all rights, should've been a HUGE hit. The fact that it wasn't makes it even more special.

I'm kind of thinking that the first half of Zooropa may be my favorite run of songs on a U2 album ever.

I'm kind of thinking that the first half of Zooropa may be my favorite run of songs on a U2 album ever.

I think so too, Babyface brings it down a little, but Numb, lemon and Stay must be the most musically diverse run of songs in U2's career.

For the high points alone, I tend to agree. I've already given out two 10s, and I only gave out one 10 throughout the entirety of AB.

Only the first half of TUF comes close.

I score this song a '10', and it's far and away the best song on Zooropa, for me. I always enjoy the wonderful lyrics to this one. I suspect if U2 lyrics are isolated on the printed page, this particular song's might hold up to close scrutiny better than any other's. More importantly, though, what a beautiful melody.

I'd give this an 8.5, but decimals round up, so it's a 9. Really enjoy this one. I don't know why, but the progression during the verses really strikes a chord with me (pun extremely intended).

I do enjoy the acoustic version. One of the few U2 acoustic versions I actually enjoy. Nevertheless, the full band version is a cut above.

The live acoustic version is better, but still the best song on Zooropa without a singer named Cash.

the progression during the verses really strikes a chord with me.

+1

I do enjoy the acoustic version.

+1.1

it's far and away the best song on Zooropa, for me. I always enjoy the wonderful lyrics to this one. I suspect if U2 lyrics are isolated on the printed page, this particular song's might hold up to close scrutiny better than any other's. More importantly, though, what a beautiful melody.

Indeed.

Larry's cold, hollow drum tone (how perfectly appropriate) is enough to place the full band version above the acoustic performances. And I've always admired Edge's guitar tone throughout the song...it sounds so inherently melancholy.

This song gives me chills. It is elegiac yet strangely uplifting at the same time, in that way only U2 do best. Vocally and lyrically, Bono is just breathtaking. One of their best ever songs (and the Zoo TV acoustic performance is a real gem). A resounding 10.

broken-heart.gif

:lol: :lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom