Rate the Song: Staring at the Sun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SATS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Let's now begin voting on the first half of what is perhaps U2's most controversial album, Pop.

Please rate Staring at the Sun on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

Without a doubt, the best song on Pop, by far. Came the closest to doing what Bono wished Pop had done…."Change the mood of the summer" (it certainly did mine...this song, not the album). Nicely evocative, and some of Bono's best lyrics, well, ever. If the world was coming to an end, and they fill a space capsule with cultural artifacts from Earth, and one of those artifacts is a collection of the best of U2, this would be the only song from Pop. The 00/90 B-Side "New" Mix was completely unnecessary, but still pretty good. And the live acoustic version works quite nicely as well.

High 9. It's really great, and there's nothing missing.

One of the few U2 songs that works acoustically. I love the melody. 7

Much better acoustically, probably the only U2 song I feel that way about. The studio version has that HORRIBLE guitar tone in the chorus, total nails on the chalkboard situation there.

That being said, it's a pretty lovely song with some good lyrics. 7.

Shoulda been a bigger song for them. If I'm being harsh I'd say they were trying to jump on the Britpop bandwagon and lost their footing (the chord progression bugs me). But still a shimmering pop song, very listenable. And it features one of my favorite line "Intransigence is all around" (sums up this site :D) 8

Shoulda been a bigger song for them. If I'm being harsh I'd say they were trying to jump on the Britpop bandwagon and lost their footing (the chord progression bugs me). But still a shimmering pop song, very listenable. And it features one of my favorite line "Intransigence is all around" (sums up this site :D) 8

Agreed, very catchy and very good song, but didn't become the all time classic it was close to being.
I can't stand the acoustic live version, but then I don't like any acoustic U2 live songs.

Pretty average for an album full of great songs. I never understood why the band expected it to be a break-through hit. 7 at best.

A bit too Noel Gallagher-meets-'One' in (over-)familar chord structure, but this song has gotten better over the years and I really like it. A couple of lines in the lyric are a bit too obscure, but it's a very interesting lyric which elevates the song, and the sleazy lead guitar really works for me (though it took years for me to appreciate it). Along with "Please", the best song on this album.

Love this song. Works amazingly great in an acoustic setting - Bono & Edge's Clinton Foundation performance of SATS was probably one of my favorite renditions of the song - strings and all.

Amazing song, love it. 9.

Every time I actually participate in these Rate The Song things or whatever, or the Survivor threads we've had in the past, and I actually sit down and try to analyze these songs...these songs that I don't really listen to nearly as much as I used to...I realize again very quickly that Bono is easily my favorite thing about this band.

When I think of positives about a U2 song, it's most often tied to Bono's lyric or vocal. The man really has written some great lyrics in his career.

This song is no different. Good lyrics here. Good summer song.

I really, really enjoy lyrics of this song. And it captures for me a late-summer feeling so well. I like listening to it in August when it gets (where I live) absurdly hot.

I remember back in 1997 all I had heard was Discotheque, and was very worried about POP. Then I heard this song 2nd, a few days before the album's release, and was relieved. I was certain this song would be a HUGE hit. A lot of people in my high school liked it, and it was fairly popular in the spring of 1997. But yeah, there's a reason people don't think of Staring at the sun in the same vein as Streets, One, Pride, BD etc.

Would love for them to attempt the full band version again.

The most musically uninteresting song (aside from the great middle section breakdown) on the album, and therefore my least favorite song on there.

It's not bad, though.

El Mel has a good point about the generic guitar on the chorus. Pretty fucking lame.

Back
Top Bottom