Rate the Song Series: Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
7/10. I only really enjoy the first verse then it gets kinda blah, onto the next track. Ironic that this is where I got my user name from though.

When I first heard the album, this was easily one of my 2 or 3 favorite songs on it. Time hasn't dimmed it much. Catchy, soulful, and what a great bassline. Love everything about it (well, I could have done without the cliche "a fish needs a bicycle" line, but Bono seemed to want to throw in one cheese-ball line to almost every song on Achtung).

7. Fun song but nowhere near the greatness of other songs on the album.

fucking TEN.....I've always loved this song...I think it's my most listened to AB track :drool: :drool:

Always considered it among the weaker AB tracks, but just this year I've begun to enjoy it immensely. I think viewing some live versions (such as that on the ZooTv bonus) has been a factor.

Last year, a 5 or 6.

This year it's 9worthy.

8 foh shur!

One of the weaker tracks on Achtung, but that doesn't take much from the song at all. Stuff this, the "like a fish needs a bicycle" line is all sorts of cool.

Well, I didn't say the "fish needs a bicycle" line wasn't cool, I just said it was a cliche. The whole Achtung Baby thing is kind of "cheesy-cool".

8 on the album. Nice little drunken lullaby, but I don't know why the guitar is so low in the mix.

Live, it's really amazing. Almost a 10. That bridge is something else.

Worst song on the album. I actually gave it 0 but that's harsh, probably should have given it a 1 or 2. Still, weak song.

I gave it a ten, always really liked it. Just love that overall dreamy atmosphere, the deep, booming bass, and that wonderful little synth (or guitar, maybe?) sound that repeats throughout. If it's a "throwaway" or "filler" song of Achtung Baby, it's miles better than any of the throwaway tracks from the more recent albums, IMO.

Ya know, thinking about these ratings... I think we all have some idea of what we give 10's, 9's, and 8's to. But how do we distinguish anything below 6? Some people hate a song and give it a 5; others hate a song in the same way and give it a 0 (I could say that some people gives 0's as loudly as possible, but let's not get into that again).

I guess what I'm thinking is, if Irishteen is going to keep statistics on these things for posterity, it might be better to have some sort of general (not overly specific) guideline, such as: "a 5 means it's a medioce U2 song and one of the weaker half on an album", or "a 2-4 means it's one of the 2 weakest songs on the album", and "a 0 or 1 means it's one of the worst songs you've ever heard by anyone". Okay, those are a bit messed, but you get the idea... There's no point really in keeping statistics now because I think the lower rated songs are going to skew the results completely.

Maybe ask a math major... not my strong point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom