Rate the Song Series: The Unforgettable Fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate The Unforgettable Fire

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just wanted to help even things out a bit. This song doesn't deserve to move ahead of New Year's Day and ASOH.

Nothing against GAF, he's entitled to vote however he wants

I just hope the further we get into this doesn't lead to more down voting. I mean people are entitled to give 0s but I hope we don't get people giving out tonnes of them just to lower a song's rating

This will be very boring if ppl start giving songs a 0 just because it would move ahead of another song blabla....

Just wanted to help even things out a bit. This song doesn't deserve to move ahead of New Year's Day and ASOH.

You're supposed to rate on how much you, as an individual appreciate the song out of ten, not as to whether you believe it should be number one or not.

This is like the preview for Streets :lol: One might need to downrate Streets a little to stop it beating Tuf :hmmm:

Honestly, I'm not sure I'll be rating Streets that high. 7 or 8, probably.

Though there are a few live performances I'd easily give 10 ... 26 December 1989 being most prominent amongst them, I'd say that's the definitive Streets.

This will be very boring if ppl start giving songs a 0 just because it would move ahead of another song blabla....

Seriously, the whole point of this thing was to try and find a new way to rank the songs without strategic voting coming into play...I thought.

Honestly, I'm not sure I'll be rating Streets that high. 7 or 8, probably.

Though there are a few live performances I'd easily give 10 ... 26 December 1989 being most prominent amongst them, I'd say that's the definitive Streets.

I might also put it below a ten... the performances from the 26th and 30th of December of 1989 are downright incredible, and it's still a great song (especially live), but I think we overrate it somewhat here.

I think strategic voting has become fairly inevitable, really.

I wonder if not publishing the list of results would've been a good idea - or only publishing it once per album or something.

I might also put it below a ten... the performances from the 26th and 30th of December of 1989 are downright incredible, and it's still a great song (especially live), but I think we overrate it somewhat here.

Seconded entirely. It's a great song, but it's not the be-all and end-all of U2.

Point Depot Streets :drool:
Popmart Sarajevo Streets :drool:

Can't choose which is best, but I don't think Streets is overrated at all in here.

I wonder if not publishing the list of results would've been a good idea - or only publishing it once per album or something.

I think this is an excellent idea. People can still do their own 'calculations' if they are that obsessed with it, because the votes and comments are public, but it will lend to the credibility if the overall rankings are withheld until the polling is complete. The goal should be to rate the songs honestly and individually on their own respective merit, not strategically rank them.

Also...just something to consider..if we allow our feelings about how a song has taken a turn, say, for the worse, over the years due to being played live so many times, is that really fair to that song? Example: Acrobat. Never been played live, but I would say give it a 9 in all likelihood. Would it have gotten better or worse live? Yet then some rank Pride lower based on their dislike for how it's played live now. Is it fair to bring the live performance in the equation when not all songs have been played live? Tough call.

I think I'm gonna go with only publishing the list at the start of each album round, which will hopefully curve it a little. We'll see how that goes but anyway no more results for you all until Joshua Tree :wink:

Here's how much I love UF. Had to go potty during SIAMYCGOO----but as soon as I heard the opening synth to UF...I RUN back to my spot to bathe is in its vast, utter beauty. :drool: :drool: :drool: I want this song played at my furneral.

This song gets a 9.421052632, even with the zero factored in.

Epic win. We can be heroes, Interference, if only just for one day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom