Rate the Song Series: So Cruel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate So Cruel

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishteen

Blue Crack Addict
So another day another round, this time it's So Cruel and Wild Irish Rose (A little late but still); so anyway you guys have a day to vote on these and can vote based on any version of the song you wish

I'll be one of the only ones to give it a 10, but fuck it. Been one of my favorite tracks since I first bought AB all those years ago.

Worst from AB. It's too long and slow but it still has great lyrics and I do love the chorus. 6

Pure beauty.

I agree with those who call it boring, if by boring you mean gorgeous melody, wrapped around dagger-sharp lyrics and rhythm section in a complete groove.

7. Weakest song on Achtung Baby IMO, but it's far from being a bad song. It just doesn't interest me as all the other ones from the record.

My 15 year old self had his mind blown by this song. The concept that a song by a rock and roll band could contain such stunningly gorgeous poetry was new to me. I remember riding around in the back of my parents car with the headphones on staring at the Achtung Baby liner notes with my mouth agape, thinking I'd never read such perfect song lyrics.

Of course, I've heard countless thousands of songs since that day and come across countless great lyrics, and the luster has faded a little bit...but this song and its poetry will always be special to me.

5. Not very interesting at all. Lyrics sound good but have little substance, even in the context of the album (where I can defend most things). The music is just there.

some of bono's most jaded lyrics about a relationship...classic lines throughout

"between the horses of love and lust we are trampled underfoot"

"i disappeared in you, you disappeared from me"

song ventured into new territory for the guys...well done.

For a much-maligned song, this is doing staggeringly well.

Personally? Good lyrics can't save this song from being a snoozefest that I have no desire to play.

My 15 year old self had his mind blown by this song. The concept that a song by a rock and roll band could contain such stunningly gorgeous poetry was new to me. I remember riding around in the back of my parents car with the headphones on staring at the Achtung Baby liner notes with my mouth agape, thinking I'd never read such perfect song lyrics.

Of course, I've heard countless thousands of songs since that day and come across countless great lyrics, and the luster has faded a little bit...but this song and its poetry will always be special to me.

:up:

My experience of this one back in the day was somewhat like GirlsAloudFan's. Aside from the awesome lyrics, the funky-drums, and the sheer menacing drama of the song, what pushes this one over the top is the gradually-building tension that escalates until the final bars of the song. I also think this song has a very sweet melody, which I used to find myself singing often in the shower.

Another plus: this sounds like nothing they'd done before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom