Rate the Song Series:I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate: I Still Haven't Found

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
People who are rating this song anything less than a 10, here's the song again in case you've forgotten how amazing it is.

YouTube - U2 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

One of their best intros ever! The song just screams Quintessential U2 in every way. Fantastic vocals and the band look happy and playful in a colourful stylish video. This song simply came alive on the remastered Joshua Tree for me. :heart:
I love that video. Bloke with big hair in an Alarm shirt. :love: Edge being narky :love: Bono attacking random vehicles :love: Adam pissing off to find a lapdancing club :love:

Wow! That is just complete bollocks and you know it! I know your taste well enough by now to know that you don't mean that. Listen to the 2 songs back to back and tell me you meant that!

I mentally file it away as "boring religious singalong that occasionally has decent snippets live".

Like I said, it has nothing to warrant or reward repeated listenings. Once you've sung along to it a few times, you've got everything you can get out of it. Vertigo is the same deal, hence my comparison.

you've got to admit though -- for what it's worth, it's pretty amazing.

his voice in this song is incredible, and those chorii very nearly for me drag the song from an 8 to an 11.

I mentally file it away as "boring religious singalong that occasionally has decent snippets live".

Like I said, it has nothing to warrant or reward repeated listenings. Once you've sung along to it a few times, you've got everything you can get out of it. Vertigo is the same deal, hence my comparison.

I only gave it a 7 but that's bullshit.

Well then, explain why rather than having a pointless go.

I feel that rating something a 3/10 implies that it is way past simply something along the lines of "oh, I'm just so damn sick of this song", and instead implies that you think it's totally abhorrent.

I couldn't be less religious, but to imply this track is just a "boring religious singalong" is, well, completely missing the point, to put it bluntly. I mean, the lyrics aren't exactly praise be ta jaysus or anything, are they? It's about uncertainty, which I'd consider to be about as deep a part of one's faith as you could think of.

Really, I can understand why someone wouldn't like it, absolutely, but your criticisms really just seem contrary for the sake of it.

I would lay off on Axver - at least he has the fortitude to back up his position while other people torch songs with no commentary. It seems to be a considered opinion. While I do not share the opinion, I think it is a testament to the band's depth and range that fans can disagree completely on some songs. For me the opening trilogy on JT is the best opening trilogy of any album, U2 or otherwise that I have heard and all three are 10's for me (as is In God's Country and RTSS).

I feel that rating something a 3/10 implies that it is way past simply something along the lines of "oh, I'm just so damn sick of this song", and instead implies that you think it's totally abhorrent.

I suppose I'm using a different scale to you then. I'm using 5 as my marker of "neither particularly like nor dislike" and then working in each direction towards U2's best or worst songs. I'm not going to pretend I've stuck to this accurately, but here's a rough representation:

10 - Excellent, U2's best songs
9 - Great
8 - Pretty good
7 - Good, but not that remarkable
6 - Decent
5 - Neither particularly like nor dislike ("meh", "it's not that bad", "it's OK", that sort of stuff)
4 - Weak
3 - Poor
2 - I never listen to this
1 - Atrocious
0 - Inside Out and its friends at the sewage works

So I wouldn't say it's totally abhorrent, that'd be 0-2, but it's something I think is well below what U2 are capable of, and that I have little desire to hear.

I couldn't be less religious, but to imply this track is just a "boring religious singalong" is, well, completely missing the point, to put it bluntly. I mean, the lyrics aren't exactly praise be ta jaysus or anything, are they? It's about uncertainty, which I'd consider to be about as deep a part of one's faith as you could think of.

Really, I can understand why someone wouldn't like it, absolutely, but your criticisms really just seem contrary for the sake of it.

Well, by "boring religious singalong", I'm not saying it's particularly CCM or anything (if anybody can find a Newsboys song I'd rate above a 1, I'll be very astonished). The lyrics aren't too bad, I even have somewhat of an appreciation for a couple of lines here and there, but ... I feel like it's saying things Bono's said elsewhere in much better ways. He's dwelt on uncertainty and internal conflict with the ideals of faith on multiple occasions, and I think this is simplistic relative to other examples.

And like I said, I find there's just nothing there to reward returning to it any more. It just falls away, a shell of a song. At least, that's the case for me. Nice sentiment and all, but why should I keep caring? If I've been skipping the song consistently for years (even before I was an atheist, lest anybody say anything), why give it over a 3?

I would lay off on Axver - at least he has the fortitude to back up his position while other people torch songs with no commentary. It seems to be a considered opinion. While I do not share the opinion, I think it is a testament to the band's depth and range that fans can disagree completely on some songs. For me the opening trilogy on JT is the best opening trilogy of any album, U2 or otherwise that I have heard and all three are 10's for me (as is In God's Country and RTSS).

Thanks. I once actually shared the opinion that JT's opening trio was something truly superb. Obviously that didn't last too long and ISHFWILF has fallen off markedly, but I still appreciate the other two a fair deal. That said, I'll defend to the death the notion that JT's closing trio is superior in every way to its opening trio - all three of those will be getting 10s from me without a minute's hesitation.

3. Not down-rating, I'm genuinely totally bored by this song. There's no depth to it, once you've sung along to it a few times there's nothing left and no reason to keep listening. As hollow as Vertigo.
You gave the childish, immature and boring The Dream Is Over a 9 didn't you?

You gave the childish, immature and boring The Dream Is Over a 9 didn't you?

I gave the catchy, fun, post-punky The Dream Is Over a 9, yes.

Not sure I'm aware of this childish, immature, and boring version you speak of!

"The anthem for the restless spirit"
10/10

Fine work boys, fine work indeed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom