Rate the Song Series: God Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate God Part II

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishteen

Blue Crack Addict
And with these two rounds we bring a close to the Rattle and Hum era if I've left out any tracks you want included you have to REQUEST THEM, all remixes, alt versions and demos should be requested if you want them to have a round, if you don't request them and I don't have them on the list I'm working off they don't get a round so if you want something post, the reason for this Achtung is next

You've all got a day to vote

Yeah, I've never connected with this song. Something's always seemed off about it. There are a couple of decent lyrical ideas from Bono but they just don't work within the song for me. I don't know. I'm giving it a 4.

The lyrics are some of their best ever!

The truth is never same without the lies he made up

Don't believe in forced entry, don't believe in rape
But every time she passes by, wild thoughts escape

You glorify the past while the future dries up

Gonna kick the darkness till it bleeds daylight

And Larry kicks ass too.

ETA: This is a Lennon-inspired song that worked well, whereas WITS is a Beatles-inspired song that sounds too sweet not to mention some awful lyrics!

Just to clarify -- that's a line from my fellow Canadian, Bruce Cockburn.

This song is great, like all the R&H tracks. I do think the pretension of titling the song "God Part II" was a bit much (in the context of a project that was already too heavy on hero-worship), but they wouldn't be U2 if they weren't incredibly uncool.

8. Genuinely heavy song, great lyrics, decent workout from the rhythem section and some top moments from The Edge, the song's even better live.

Was gonna go ahead and call the name of the song pretentious, but then I had second thoughts...

I like the bass line, and some lyrics are great

the rich stay healthy
and the sick stay poor

and stuff like that, but for what is supposed to be Part II of one of the greatest songs ever, it falls a little short. 7.

8. It's a great song, love the drums, lyrics and that sudden halt for a stop! :up:

The lyrics are some of their best ever!

The truth is never same without the lies he made up

Don't believe in forced entry, don't believe in rape
But every time she passes by, wild thoughts escape

You glorify the past while the future dries up

What the hell does any of this even mean?

It has always been my favorite R+H song. God Part II, All I Want is You, Heartland - all amazing.

sometimes i think people dont like this song just because its on R&H, and liking songs on R&H is supposed to be taboo or something. if it was on AB (as the band said it should be) you all would be creaming in your pants over this song.

What the hell does any of this even mean?

it's about hypocrisy.

or would you prefer "heart, kneel, soul, heart, kneel, soul etc", "intellectual tortoise", "help across the road like a little old lady", "oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh etc etc etc?"

sometimes i think people dont like this song just because its on R&H, and liking songs on R&H is supposed to be taboo or something. if it was on AB (as the band said it should be) you all would be creaming in your pants over this song.

excellent point. i often think of God Part II and The Fly as cut from the same cloth. The sound, lyrical content, themes, and lyrical style are very very similar to one another. And I love them both

or would you prefer "heart, kneel, soul, heart, kneel, soul etc", "intellectual tortoise", "help across the road like a little old lady", "oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh etc etc etc?"

I sure would!

No, seriously, I'm aware of the subject matter, I just don't think the lyrics are all that. I like other songs on RAH, I just think this is awfully overrated by the fans. :shrug: Sorry 'bout that. Still up for a drink on Friday?

excellent point. i often think of God Part II and The Fly as cut from the same cloth. The sound, lyrical content, themes, and lyrical style are very very similar to one another. And I love them both

i just saw that you wrote F%^& The Fly, haha. Well, it'd be a boring world if we agreed on everything, now wouldn't it?

I sure would!

No, seriously, I'm aware of the subject matter, I just don't think the lyrics are all that. I like other songs on RAH, I just think this is awfully overrated by the fans. :shrug: Sorry 'bout that. Still up for a drink on Friday?

:weekend:

i just saw that you wrote F%^& The Fly, haha. Well, it'd be a boring world if we agreed on everything, now wouldn't it?

:lol:

well i like the fly too, but i just think GP2s guitar riff blows the fly's out of the water, which i assume is the minority opinion. :rockon:

i should add that bono came up with the riff in a dream, which is even better.

If you're right, and people on this forum are trying to "fit in" with others' opinions, then U2 fandom is indeed pathetic. However, that wouldn't surprise me (especially after seeing someone score this tune a '0', which is obviously irrational and attention-seeking).

it's about hypocrisy.

I personally wouldn't take the song as only about hypocrisy.

In Lennon's "God", he tears down all of his "false idols" from his culture, youth, and Beatle-days (including The Beatles themselves), to conclude that he "just believe(s) in me" (and then he adds, "Yoko and me").

U2 obviously come from a more spiritual place than Lennon, and their song is to state that the singer "believes(s) in love". The contradictions are obviously examples of both the duality of existence and the extremes that our culture/society sets up for us and that we all get trapped into (like "the rich stay healthy / the sick stay poor"). Cutting through all this bullshit is the spiritual affirmation that "I believe in love".

This is much the same process -- though with a different conclusion -- as in Lennon's tune, which cuts through all the "bullshit" as Lennon saw it (Jesus, Buddha, yoga, tarot, Kennedy, Elvis, Bob Dylan, etc.) to arrive at a more individualistic affirmation.

I also think it's a clever tribute by U2 in that their song sort-of determines (as a kind of tribute to Lennon) that his music is really about "love", and isn't just a selfish thing as Lennon at his most cynical (ie., in 1970) would have seen it. I've always wondered if the "presence I can feel" in U2's song is Lennon himself, or God. (Or, maybe both.)

The original of the borrowed lyric, as I stated above, is Canadian Bruce Cockburn, and his brilliant "Lovers in a Dangerous Time", one of the greatest songs I've ever heard. The section from which the line is drawn is thus:
"When you're lovers in a dangerous time
Sometimes you're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
But nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight --
Got to kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight
."

In this context, the lyric makes perfect sense in U2's song, as the theme is the struggle for "love" against the forces of materialism and corruption.

If you've never heard "Lovers in a Dangerous Time", the definitive version (for my generation) is Barenaked Ladies' cover of it, which was their first big hit in Canada. It's apparently been pulled off of YouTube, but you can see it here:
Dailymotion - Barenaked Ladies - Lovers In A Dangerous Time - une vidéo Musique

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom