Rate The Song Series: A Day Without Me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate A Day Without Me

Votes: 1 4.0%

Votes: 4 16.0%

Votes: 10 40.0%

Votes: 8 32.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Irishteen

Blue Crack Addict
The last round saw four songs go up to vote with Stories for Boys faring best of all getting a 6.59, the Ocean was just behind it with a 6.4. The b-side Touch managed to get a decent 5.65. While Tonight went straight to bottom with a 2

Interference's Top U2 Songs
1 11 O'Clock Tick Tock 8.15
2 An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart 8.12
3 Out of Control 7.79
4 I Will Follow 7.48
5 Twilight 6.91
6 Stories for Boys 6.59
7 The Ocean 6.40
8 Touch 5.65

9 Trevor 5.20
10 Another Day 5.12
11 Boy/Girl 4.41
12 Jack in a Box 3.92
13 Twilight (Demo Version) 3.62
14 Inside Out 3.41
15 Tonight 2.00

This round we'll be voting on A Day Without Me, Things to Make and Do and False Prophet

As always you can vote on any version of the song you want be it demo, studio or live

8. Not sure there's a song out there that makes contemplating suicide sound so joyous. :lol:

8 as well. Strong song, almost worthy of a 9.

Funny choice as Boy's lead single, though.

Live, it scores an easy 10, but the studio version isn't as good. I scored it 7.

Plus it's about Ian Curtis so it deserves recognition.

Plus it's about Ian Curtis so it deserves recognition.

I've honestly come to question that. There's a demo of the song from 1979, when Ian Curtis was very much alive, not to mention a couple of live performances from early 1980 too.

I've honestly come to question that. There's a demo of the song from 1979, when Ian Curtis was very much alive, not to mention a couple of live performances from early 1980 too.

good point, and i have wondered the same thing, Bono has said that it was influenced by the death of Ian Curtis, but you know how bono talks....however I'm pretty sure the bridge photographed for the cover of A Day Without Me is the same bridge as used in several iconic joy division photographs. So at least there's a link there.

good point, and i have wondered the same thing, Bono has said that it was influenced by the death of Ian Curtis, but you know how bono talks....however I'm pretty sure the bridge photographed for the cover of A Day Without Me is the same bridge as used in several iconic joy division photographs. So at least there's a link there.

Yeah, that's close to my feelings on the matter. This is how Bono introduces ADWM on 26 February 1980 (before Curtis's suicide): "Would your schoolmates get on without you? Would your mummy and daddy get on without you? Would your girlfriend get on without you? A Day Without Me." Seems Bono just bundled Ian Curtis up in that whole theme afterwards and sold it as the main subject of the song. After all, saying it's about Ian Curtis is an easy way to deflect any "is Bono ok?" speculation.

Back
Top Bottom