Rate The Song: Pride (In The Name Of Love)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pride

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Finally, we have made it into the second quarter of our competition! Today we shall begin rating U2's second era of music, beginning with the first half of The Unforgettable Fire.

Please rate Pride on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

For the record, U2 rates War as follows:
1) New Year's Day
2) Sunday Bloody Sunday
3) Drowning Man
4) "40"
5) Like A Song…
6) Two Hearts Beat As One
7) Surrender
8) Seconds
9) Red Light
10) The Refugee

In two days, when the round for the second half of unreleased songs through the War era is finished, I will release rankings for every song so far.

endpitnol.gif

9. Great song, and important song. Their first US top 40 hit, and still gets regular radio rotation. Like many, I'd rarely seek it out, but I crank it up when it comes on the radio.

While it's been backlashed throughout Interference, Pride is definitely my favorite track on The Unforgettable Fire, and like many fans, one of U2's best songs in their 30+ year career. I was extremely happy to hear this song live last year.

Gets a 10 from me. It's definitely another U2 anthem. Love it. :drool:

I personally find it absurd that anyone who claims to love U2 would give the studio version of Pride less than a 7. It has everything U2 is beloved for, and does it extremely well. Historically inaccurate, but what the hell. 9.

I never knew that... :ohmy: Though this song does at times get overrated, it will always be a staple of U2 greatness and will quite possibly live on through all generations... 10.

Obviously a '10'. The bad has beaten it to death in increasingly disappointing live versions, but that's not the song's fault!

gave it a 7. a lot of passion, but doesn't hit my personal ethereal heights for a sort of homecoming and unforgettable fire.

also, anyone who dares question it live - after one tree hill in auckland in 2010 the show was going to die, because the pike river tribute had the stadium in tears. what did they triumphantly follow with?

and yes it worked.

also you can probably hear me on the nashville bootleg giggling when suddenly everyone knows the "a shot rings out in the memphis sky" part.

Studio version is a certain 10. Shame they never did it justice live.
The most important song in their history.

Studio version is a 10 easily. I think it's underrated having only made it to number 33 on the US charts. It should have been at least in the top 10. Live version is only a 6.

I gave it an 8, but wanted to give it a 9. I guess that can't be changed anymore?

Oh well, I love Pride, but certainly prefer TUF which I gave a 10, so no perfect score for Pride.

I gave it an 8, but wanted to give it a 9. I guess that can't be changed anymore?

Oh well, I love Pride, but certainly prefer TUF which I gave a 10, so no perfect score for Pride.

If it was an accident, I'm willing to change the vote when I tabulate the final numbers.

Also, I think it is important to keep in mind that these ratings are not based on comparisons with other songs on the album, but compared to U2's collection as a whole. There's nothing wrong with giving two songs on an album each a 10.

They actually did -- once. At Wellington, New Zealand, on Aug.31st 1984. (Before anyone nominates the 1986 Conspiracy of Hope one, that's a little too much ham for me.)

I'll have to check that one out, I agree with you about The Conspiracy of Hope one.

ZooTV Pride was great, but once it hit the Pop era it began stinking pretty bad. Some of its appearances on the final leg of 360 were good, though.

Anyway the studio version is utter perfection and scores a 10. It just makes me feel so fucking good and leaves me in a great mood whenever I hear it. Can't deny the breakthrough that this song was to the band either. And let me say that this will always be one of Edge's best ever guitar riffs. Just fucking brilliant.

If it was an accident, I'm willing to change the vote when I tabulate the final numbers.

Also, I think it is important to keep in mind that these ratings are not based on comparisons with other songs on the album, but compared to U2's collection as a whole. There's nothing wrong with giving two songs on an album each a 10.

Yes, it was an accident, thanks!

I know, but while for example TUF (or NYD,...) has always been one of my absolute favourite U2 tracks, Pride never was although it's a great song and I love it. That's why I made the comparison :)

Back
Top Bottom