Rate the Song: Original of the Species

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OOTS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Now let's move onto the second round of voting for Hutdab.

Please rate Original of the Species on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

I love this song. It's my favorite off the second half of HTDAAB, and has always been one of my favorites on the album since I heard it. 8.

Probably the second best song on this record, after COBL. And certainly the best song on the second half. Even at that, it's far from perfect, but there are parts of it I quite like, and I love the idea behind the song.

It's probably closer to a 7, but I'll give it an 8 because I remember liking it a little better than I do now.

One of my favorite U2 songs ever. Timeless tune, at least to me. I'll be listening to this song when I'm 90. And I'll be smiling. Bono knocked this melody out of the fucking park.

This is a beautiful, emotional song for me. An easy 10, and my favourite on the album.

Very good song. Lyrics, chorus, everything for the most part. The Killahurtz mix of it alone bumps this up to a 9.

I agree with some of the comments about this being the second best song from the album, and the Killahurtz mix is just too beautiful for words. 9.

Lovely song. Pity about the phony strings on the album version. What, were they too cheap to spring for actual strings? At least the single version is an improvement in that department.

The song is too bombastic for me. It's not a bad thing per se but I don't think it works here. 3

9, and loved the live version and grateful for the people on here that alerted me to it in an earlier discussion on the song.

Never understood the love this one gets. The piano is awkward, the lyrics are odd (and a little unnerving?), just a very strange number. Not a stinker by any means, but only a shade above mediocrity. 6

Like it, I just always cringe at the off-key "doodoot"s towards the end. Even so, I give it an 8- I can't let those 9 seconds ruin the song for me.

Certain aspects of this song are absolutely hideous: the vocals (oh man, Edge's "solo"), the lyrics, the fakey strings, the bombast...it kills the song dead for me. Which is a bummer, because the melody is actually very, very nice. It's decent acoustically. 4.

Not thinking through this statement, but I've got to call this the most overrated song in the U2 catalogue, barring maybe studio Love Is Blindness.

Certain aspects of this song are absolutely hideous: the vocals (oh man, Edge's "solo"), the lyrics, the fakey strings, the bombast...it kills the song dead for me. Which is a bummer, because the melody is actually very, very nice. It's decent acoustically. 4.

Fuck acoustic. Not with that guitar sound.

The Amsterdam electric version destroys the studio recording and any neutered live performance.

July 16th, 2005.

It's also the same night they played that KILLER Wild Horses electric, the best live version I've ever heard.

Those damned lucky Dutch.

July 16th, 2005.

It's also the same night they played that KILLER Wild Horses electric, the best live version I've ever heard.

Those damned lucky Dutch.

They played that full band Wild Horses a couple of times I think, right? I haven't heard that particular version in awhile, but they played a very similar one on May 28 in Boston that year, which I was there for. It was awesome needless to say. The third leg versions of just the acoustic only didn't compare.

9. Another one of my favorite U2 songs. When I first heard it, it was like a warm embrace. (cheesy I know, but that's how I felt...) It meant so much to me emotionally. Not as much now, but I still love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom