Rate the Song: One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

One

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does something subjective really need a convincing argument, especially when your opinion is already set in stone and that's perfectly okay so let's not argue?

I see no reason to absolutely despise One except for the the fact that it's overplayed and that's not a valid reason imo.

Does something subjective really need a convincing argument, especially when your opinion is already set in stone and that's perfectly okay so let's not argue?

First of all, no one is "arguing".

Secondly, no, it's not "subjective." Normally, yes, I agree with you, taste in any work of art is purely a subjective thing. I certainly have no problem with anyone "hating" One, or "despising" One, or thinking it's the worst thing in U2's catalogue. Those are all just subjective opinions. If people want to hate One, and rate it a 1, I and others may disagree, but it's just an opinion and that's their right...they don't have explain it to anyone. You have just as much right to rate One as a 1 as others have to rate it as a 10.

But the comment I was responding to was whether there's ever been a "good argument" to rate the song ZERO. Here it is:

I've hung around with you guys for years and have never heard a good argument for giving this song a zero.

That assessment is correct. There's hasn't been (and won't be) a good argument for rating One as a ZERO. I can see rating a U2 song 1. I haven't done it yet, though I'm sure I will before this is all done. If you intesenly dislike a song, and think it's awful, then 1 is an appropriate score, and by all means vote away.

But when someone rates One as a ZERO they're essentially saying the song has no intrinsic artistic value whatsoever. It's just a ZERO. That, in my opinion, is not a reasonable assessment of the song under any criteria, and no matter how much you may hate the song, it certainly has some value, artistic and otherwise. It's not a matter of subjective opinion whether One has artistic merit. Objectively speaking by any standard, it does, and that's not a matter that's debatable by reasonable people. So no, I don't take a score of ZERO seriously, and the statement made by someone else that there has never been a good argument for rating One as a ZERO is a completely correct one.

It's pretty arbitrary.

Even after hearing explanations for it, the distate seems arbitrary. I love you guys, but giving One a zero is as ridiculous as me giving Drunk Chicken a 10. I did that, though, and I realize it's one of those Interference things. A running joke that is growingly detatched from reality.

As of right now, One is doing a bit better than Promenade and marginally worse than I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, in thirteenth place overall. Take that as you wish.

I really love the version from Montreal 2 (the internet broadcast). Most other 360 versions were pretty bland to me. ZooTV through Elevation versions were great, Vertigo versions were pretty decent, and 360 ones weren't all that fantastic (except for a few great stragglers).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulUZkZr6ngk

digitize said:
As of right now, One is doing a bit better than Promenade and marginally worse than I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, in thirteenth place overall. Take that as you wish.

:hmm: Maybe Axver can get it below Promenade

First of all, no one is "arguing".

Secondly, no, it's not "subjective." Normally, yes, I agree with you, taste in any work of art is purely a subjective thing. I certainly have no problem with anyone "hating" One, or "despising" One, or thinking it's the worst thing in U2's catalogue. Those are all just subjective opinions. If people want to hate One, and rate it a 1, I and others may disagree, but it's just an opinion and that's their right...they don't have explain it to anyone. You have just as much right to rate One as a 1 as others have to rate it as a 10.

But the comment I was responding to was whether there's ever been a "good argument" to rate the song ZERO. Here it is:

That assessment is correct. There's hasn't been (and won't be) a good argument for rating One as a ZERO. I can see rating a U2 song 1. I haven't done it yet, though I'm sure I will before this is all done. If you intesenly dislike a song, and think it's awful, then 1 is an appropriate score, and by all means vote away.

But when someone rates One as a ZERO they're essentially saying the song has no intrinsic artistic value whatsoever. It's just a ZERO. That, in my opinion, is not a reasonable assessment of the song under any criteria, and no matter how much you may hate the song, it certainly has some value, artistic and otherwise. It's not a matter of subjective opinion whether One has artistic merit. Objectively speaking by any standard, it does, and that's not a matter that's debatable by reasonable people. So no, I don't take a score of ZERO seriously, and the statement made by someone else that there has never been a good argument for rating One as a ZERO is a completely correct one.

Jesus fucking christ.

It's just funny that One, of all u2 songs, gets this hate.

i'm not sure you could really class a poll where 67% of respondents rate the song as perfect as something that is "getting hate".

it seems the 67% are the ones hating about this little thing called a subjective opinion. one doesn't tick my boxes and that makes me a horrible person apparently.

could you be any more condescending? i gave it the score i thought appropriate, because it's my opinion. there's been oodles of songs i've thought people have ranked too highly or too lowly, yet did i attack those people? no.

what's hilarious is (though i can't speak for bonnie) had someone simply asked why i gave it a zero, i might've explained. but no, several people, especially you, have had to pile on about how our opinions are basically worthless. so no, i don't think you're going to hear any reasons why it should be zero, at least not from me. there's no point.

what's hilarious is (though i can't speak for bonnie) had someone simply asked why i gave it a zero, i might've explained. but no, several people, especially you, have had to pile on about how our opinions are basically worthless. so no, i don't think you're going to hear any reasons why it should be zero, at least not from me. there's no point.

I was actually going to ask respectfully why some people marked it so low, out of sheer curiosity of different tastes and ideas, but I was afraid of opening a can of worms and starting something that could get ugly. Guess it happened anyway. :reject: Bummer.

If there is one song that can give you goosebumps every time you listen to it, this has to be it. The turning point that this song produced is amazing, and it is beautiful lyrically and sentimentally. 10.

i'm not sure you could really class a poll where 67% of respondents rate the song as perfect as something that is "getting hate".

it seems the 67% are the ones hating about this little thing called a subjective opinion. one doesn't tick my boxes and that makes me a horrible person apparently.

Heh. I see what you did there. :shifty:

It shows how great an album Achtung Baby is that although One gets a 10 from me, it's still possibly in my bottom 3 for the album!

Yeah. That's what's amazing about this record...I'm giving almost every song a 9, but it's only my third favourite U2 album. It's a testament to just how strong all the songs here are, and it's easily U2's most "complete" recording.

one doesn't tick my boxes and that makes me a horrible person apparently.

Nah, it doesn't, but it does seem like a bit of strategic voting or just plain being sortof contrary to vote it a zero. From your statement it doesn't sound like abject hatred, but just basic dislike. I mean, I doubt you're clasping your hands firmly over your hears screaming "lalalalala" every time it comes on or at a U2 show, amirite? So...a ZERO? Cmon now. ;)

eta: ok, you gave it a 1. Good job :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom