Rate the Song: North and South of the River

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NASOTR

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Let's continue today with the second round of voting on 90s non-album songs. The whole list is:

Alex Descends into Hell for a Bottle of Milk/Korova 1
Lady with the Spinning Head
Salomé
Where Did It All Go Wrong?
Slow Dancing
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Viva Davidoff
Holy Joe
North and South of the River
I'm Not Your Baby
Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad
Sweetest Thing (new version)
Blow Your House Down
Heaven And Hell
Oh Berlin
Near The Island
Down All The Days
Everybody Loves A Winner

This round will have the second set of six songs, Viva Davidoff through the new version of Sweetest Thing.

Please rate North and South of the River on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

6 for the studio version, 9 for the Omagh performance.

Did absolutely nothing for me until the Omagh performance. Horns >>> strings made a big difference. 7.75 (rounded up to 8).

I do prefer the Omagh version (love the pre-recorded horns), but I do think the studio take is fantastic as well, and for me better than half the songs on Pop. And I like every song on that album.

It's a great blend of modern sounds and folk vibe, and the lyric is obviously something very personal for the band. Bono's vocal is a tad forced at times, but certainly impassioned, the falsetto is perfect, and the harmony with Edge near the end...gives me chills.

I've only ever heard the original and that does nothing for me whatsoever. i can't stand Christie Moore either and I think he's involved in it somehow isn't he? Maybe that's why.

Studio version - 8
Omagh benefit live performance - 8

Very beautiful song, the synth in the studio version reminds me of the synth in 'Kite'. Bono's vocals are really good as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom