Rate the Song: Magnificent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magnificent

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When this was available for a 30 second preview, it was a mind blowing 30 seconds. I loved it so much when I first heard it, but it's diminished somewhat :shrug:. I still give it a well deserved 9 for being a beautiful song. The video on the other hand sucks.
YesyesyesyesYES. Does anyone here actually like it...?

Do you have irrefutable proof that I said that? You and your buddies just follow me around on this forum. You have 18,304 posts. I saved Larry's life. Please take a walk outside. Your logic is incorrect. :)

Anyway, I don't like this song at all. My least favourite on the album in fact. It's really interesting to see how people are rating this song now, because when it came out I seemed to be the only one who wasn't blowing smoke up its arse. Seems like the type of song Achtung-era U2 could have knocked up in five minutes (and probably did, but rightly realised it was nowhere near good enough). In all versions, this is a paltry, boring song. I didn't even enjoy it live. Me! The guy who loves everything live! 2.

Along with TGBHF, my favourire U2 song of the 2000s. It invokes all the uplift and euphoria in me of all the great U2 songs, and oh boy do I love that euphporic feeling...

Love the keyboard opening, the beat and then the soaring guitars. Maybe because I became a father not that long after, but the lyrics really strike a chord in me especially the "my first cry, it was a joyful noise". Also, this again, euphoric song to The Magnificent, to God, really takes me back to a time when I was a lot closer to my faith then I am now. Bono talks a lot about joy, but this song comes nearly as close to it as Beautiful Day.

Only negatives for me are that they didnt go with the opening featured in that clip of them in Fez, with the Moroccan percussionists, that would have been perfect. Also, the line "You and I we Magnify" lines seem a bit forced, a bit crap to be honest and the song does sort of fade away into nothing at the end.
HOWEVER, the rest of the song is so incredible that it gets a 10.

I didn't like the video much though, great idea, but as usual, there's far too much footage of the band playing and not enough of Fez being wrapped in white sheets and then being gloriously unwrapped!

i love this song, and also love the video - i think it's really joyful! think the Fred Falke remix is great too...

sometimes i think the lyrics are a bit presumptuous though and i find myself raising an eyebrow at times and thinking "oh yeah?!" lol

Anyway, I don't like this song at all. My least favourite on the album in fact. It's really interesting to see how people are rating this song now, because when it came out I seemed to be the only one who wasn't blowing smoke up its arse. Seems like the type of song Achtung-era U2 could have knocked up in five minutes (and probably did, but rightly realised it was nowhere near good enough). In all versions, this is a paltry, boring song. I didn't even enjoy it live. Me! The guy who loves everything live! 2.

I hear ya loud and clear, though it's a 4 for me.

Also I don't mind the Christo & Jeanne-Claude clip.

U2 being U2, LOVE the song, still do, since saddened by its lack of success on the radio, I had expected it to do so much better. Live it never lived up to it's potential, so it's one of the few songs that didn't get better live. The album version makes my heart soar.

Back
Top Bottom