Rate the Song: In a Little While

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

*ducks and covers*

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
The 90s are over! We are almost done with this competition. Today begins the first voting round of the 2000s, as we rate the first half of All That You Can't Leave Behind.

Please rate In a Little While on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

always loved this song (and the whole album for that matter) easy 9 for me

live though it can fuck off simply because it sounds like they're just doing a dull laid back soundcheck run-through......in front of tens of thousands of people in a stadium, wasting a setlist spot that could be given to something else. :wink:

Nice little tune about a hangover that of course is now associated with the death of Joey Ramone. Not great, but not bad at all. 7.

BTW, giving this song a low score is a little like spitting on Ramone's grave. You don't want that on you conscience.

Nick66 said:
Nice little tune about a hangover that of course is now associated with the death of Joey Ramone. Not great, but not bad at all. 7.

BTW, giving this song a low score is a little like spitting on Ramone's grave. You don't want that on you conscience.

And giving Please a low score is like spitting on the graves of everyone who died in The Troubles.

Like the whole album, it makes me feel like watching paint dry for hours and hours. Interrupted by sheer moments of terror (but that's more applicable to manure like Elevation, Grace and Peace on Earth).

Great little song, different style for u2 and beautiful beautiful vocals.

Slow down my beating heart...

And giving Please a low score is like spitting on the graves of everyone who died in The Troubles.

Good thing I gave Please a 9 then. The thousands of people dying from the Troubles are quite more impressive than one musician who got a shitty song associated with him. :wink:

I'm trying to be objective because I really loved this song before it became a 360 staple.

Great vocal, a different sound for them. Lyrics are weak, but that's most of this album.

Good thing I gave Please a 9 then. The thousands of people dying from the Troubles are quite more impressive than one musician who got a shitty song associated with him. :wink:

Funny. I'm Irish, and "impressive" is one word I never associated with the thousands of people who died. In any event, I doubt they or their families are very impressed that a song got written for them.

Odd.

I didn't wish for your death, but simply encouraged you to tempt fate.

It would be a lot more fun than your predictable defenses of conservative U2 fare.

Nice little ditty. 8. And no, I'm not going to grade it down because it's a song Edge and Bono like to play live, haha.

It's a nice song, that's all. A little too saccharine, listening to it too often makes your teeth rot. Bono's vocal delivery is a little grating, he doesn't do blue-eyed soul that well in this particular instance. Should it have been kicked off the album for Summer Rain? Abso-fucking-lutely. 5

i know this song gets a lot of hate in here, but i really love it... i think the lyrics are really poetic and beautiful ("a man takes a rocket ship... scatter of light" is exquisite)

i give it a 9

Going by the studio version alone, it's a 7 for me. Nice track, sweet sentiment, catchy melody, what the hell.

It's so fucking boring live though.

I always wondered if that was true, or .... perhaps a little embellished.

Although I don't think it's something he'd completely pull out of his ass (HAR HAR BONO LIES! ... but no, not really), so it makes me think that someone who would know wanted Bono to know about that moment because they knew he'd be honored.

And then I think, did Joey Ramone tell someone "Hey, I really love that song, play it for me a few times," or someone knew he loved it and played it for him .... or did it just happen to be on in the background as he passed away?

These are the random ridiculous thoughts that run through my head on a Sunday afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom