Rate the Song: Gone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gone

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Today we shall begin voting on the second half of Pop.

Please rate Gone on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

Always felt this one was just a little bit overrated. Still a good song, though. I feel the changes they made to the live version take away from the ambience of the song; however, I realize that they had to do it to make it more interesting for 50,000 people.

Third best song on the album in my book, great opening, very like The Verve. Great lyrics and vocals.

My favorite song on Pop, by far. Altough I prefer the Best of 1990-2000 version, the song live is just incredible. What a song -vocal and lyric-wise, and everything else. 10.

I prefer the studio Pop version to the live version. Edge's guitar during the chorus is screaming and I miss that live. The last chorus is a highlight. 10

Best Of version does not exist. The live version does not exist. This is the only version and it is bottled perfection. 10

I don't know how even the Pop haters could dislike this one. Fucking badass rock n roll right here, with lyrics that are a giant middle finger to the whole lifestyle. Brilliant. 10

This should have been the lead single in the US off Pop. Maybe the album wouldn't have been such a sales dog (relatively speaking) in the US, if 1M+ copies is considered a sales dog.

The live version grabbed me by the throat the first time I heard it, and I am not ashamed to admit that I've been running it into the ground the last few days.

Plus how many other songs sound great when everyone at a U2 party in Chicago is quite drunk and belting it out at the top of their voice?

I completely agree that Gone should have been the lead single. No one could say no to that badassery.

I'd call this one a 'minor-great' song, though it falls short of "U2-Classic" status. It's actually a very generic-sounding rock song, which is rather at odds with the more notable moments on Pop (or Zooropa). It actually could fit well on Rattle & Hum if it had been given a Jimmy Iovine production job. Anyway, it's a good song -- not a strong enough melody to have been a hit single, but in context a very good number. On the album, the highlight is the bridge ("'cause I'm already gone", etc.). Unfortunately, the beauty of that moment was desecrated on the Best of remake, which is cleaner and sharper but somehow doesn't catch the essence of the song.

Best Of version does not exist. The live version does not exist. This is the only version and it is bottled perfection. 10

I prefer the studio Pop version to the live version. Edge's guitar during the chorus is screaming and I miss that live. The last chorus is a highlight. 10

There's a special place in musical hell reserved for people who prefer the abomination that is the Best Of version. If you can't understand the soul that's missing on that re-recording, I feel sorry for you.

And I was never crazy about the live version, either. In addition to the guitar lacking mentioned above, I just don't like Edge's background "Gooooonnnne" in the chorus.

There's a special place in musical hell reserved for people who prefer the abomination that is the Best Of version. If you can't understand the soul that's missing on that re-recording, I feel sorry for you.

And I was never crazy about the live version, either. In addition to the guitar lacking mentioned above, I just don't like Edge's background "Gooooonnnne" in the chorus.

:love: I'll send you a postcard from there Laz.

The new mix is exactly how the safe, generic U2 of the past decade would make the song.

so i do agree with you about Discotheque. though i highly prefer the album version of Gone, i don't feel that the best of mix completely killed the spirit like it did Discotheque.

Back
Top Bottom