Rate the Song: Flower Child

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flower Child

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
This is the second-to-last round of the 2012 rate the song series! Today, we shall be voting on the second round of 2000s non-album songs. The full list of these songs is:

Stateless
Summer Rain
Always
Levitate
Love You Like Mad
Smile
Flower Child
Big Girls Are Best
Electrical Storm
The Hands That Built America
Native Son
Xanax and Wine
Are You Gonna Wait Forever?
Window in the Skies
Soon
Winter
Mercy

Today's round will cover the second set of six songs, from Flower Child to Xanax and Wine.

Please rate Flower Child on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

I have a friend who is very much on the fence about his status with U2. Respects them, but doesn't quite get the hype I think.

He absolutely LOVES this song. This and TGBHF. Hates SBS, Streets, WOWY etc, but loves those 2 very much.

I love playing this song on my acoustic. It's very colorful lyrically, and Edge's work lets it all flow together. It isn't a masterpiece but it is definitely fun to listen to. 7.

I may be the only one to give this such a high score, but I absolutely love this song. I love the jaunty melody, I love Bono's delivery, and I love the subtle electric touches Edge contributes. It's about a minute/one verse too long, but still gets a 9.

I never minded this one. A solid b-side/unreleased track, if anything. 7.

"The seeds that you sow
You wanna watch them growing"

I may be the only one to give this such a high score
You're not the only one. I absolutely adore this song! I think it's one of the 3 or 4 best melodies U2 have realized since the early 90s. Lyrics are fun in a typically Bono-ish way. I actually think this song is better than all but about two tracks on ATYCLB...

Actually a pretty nice tune, with a Summer Rain kind of feel, only more interesting.

While on the whole I think the 00's b-sides are pretty unremarkable, listening again I'm coming the conclusion the those from the early part of the decade fare better than their 2004/2005 Bomb-era counterparts.

Still not the biggest fan of acoustic U2. And especially not peppy, rock-back-and-forth acoustic U2.
I think this is kind of a strange comment. Obviously, you enjoy U2's more complex, plugged-in arrangements, but let's not lose sight of the fact that so-called 'acoustic' music (like, say, all instruments) is REAL music. To say that you only like the complex, plugged-in arrangements is like saying you only like U2 when they're filtered through technology.

Just imagine what you'd have to listen to if this were 1812...!

This is the first song I've given a zero to. It's my least favorite U2 song. I think the lyrics are dreadful.

Back
Top Bottom