Rate the Song: Electrical Storm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heavy as a truck

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nick, being continuously told that my tastes on some songs are invalid because they are just part of a "hive mind" gets old, and it's mildly insulting.

I still fail to see why people liking a song is inexplicalbe if you don't agree. It isn't a hive mentality. I know plenty of casual fans who like this song. This gets so tiring.

It's very clear to see when you're convinced your own opinion is the truth. Common trait of most jackasses. :rolleyes:

Nick, being continuously told that my tastes on some songs are invalid because they are just part of a "hive mind" gets old, and it's mildly insulting.

Is there someone here who said your taste was "invalid"? Did I say that?

If someone here said your taste was invalid, you tell them I find that insulting also. You have as much right to your opinion as anyone else.

Of course, I never said that.

If you want to see examples of posters calling other people's taste in songs here "stupid", etc., there's plenty of that to be found in these threads. Just not from me.

But there seems to be a hive mind mentality about certain songs here...this being one of them.

I find this insulting. The fact that I must have a hive mind mentality if I like this song. I liked it way before I joined here in 2009.

ETA: Digitize, I just read that you posted almost exactly the same thing!

You were giving out 10s to obscure TUF b-sides. I would think giving Electrical Storm an 8 is quite okay. Different people have different tastes, and I'm not sure why you want the results of this poll to reflect the outside world's opinion of U2 songs.

I find this insulting. The fact that I must have a hive mind mentality if I like this song. I liked it way before I joined here in 2009.

Yes, exactly. Attributing my tastes to a "hive mind mentality" is akin to saying that they're not actually mine... that I only like them because Interference likes them. It invalidates my opinions as actual products of what I enjoy and don't enjoy, and sets Nick up as the only person on this forum immune to it (coincidentally, when all of Interference goes and ranks TUF highly, that is not a hive mind mentality at all).

Yes, exactly. Attributing my tastes to a "hive mind mentality" is akin to saying that they're not actually mine... that I only like them because Interference likes them. It invalidates my opinions as actual products of what I enjoy and don't enjoy, and sets Nick up as the only person on this forum immune to it (coincidentally, when all of Interference goes and ranks TUF highly, that is not a hive mind mentality at all).

Um, I didn't even know how you voted on this particular song.

Would it be better if joined some others in these threads and just called opinions of songs "stupid", said people were "out of their minds"?

That's OK Dig, these are your threads, I'll respect your rules. I'll just be the only one who doesn't comment on how other people are voting!

No, that's not at all what I want, Nick. I just want you to understand why many people get upset when you attribute their opinions to a "hive mentality" while putting yourself on a plane above it. I've stayed out of this for a long time, but it has always bugged me, and I suppose it boiled over a bit this time. I like Electrical Storm a lot, and I feel like I should be allowed to have that opinion without other people telling me that my reasons for liking it are not what I think they are - in other words, that this song is actually not an important one to me that I have really enjoyed through the years, having emotionally really captivated me at some points in my life. That's all.

No, that's not at all what I want, Nick. I just want you to understand why many people get upset when you attribute their opinions to a "hive mentality" while putting yourself on a plane above it. I've stayed out of this for a long time, but it has always bugged me, and I suppose it boiled over a bit this time. I like Electrical Storm a lot, and I feel like I should be allowed to have that opinion without other people telling me that my reasons for liking it are not what I think they are - in other words, that this song is actually not an important one to me that I have really enjoyed through the years, having emotionally really captivated me at some points in my life. That's all.

It's a good point...I'm just merely making an observation that certain songs...this one, Acrobat, and a few others, for whatever reason are held in much higher esteem than the "outside" world does. I'm not calling out the specific opinion of anyone...never have. Nor have I ever said someone had bad taste for liking X song, etc. Though MANY others have here. You only need look look through the threads to find them...variations of "you are all idiots" "you all suck", "you all are stupid", etc. Most from very long time posters...who I guess have immunity.

But perhaps "hive mentality" was not the best way to express what I was trying to say. I apologise if you were insulted by it. But really, don't take it personally, it's not meant as such.

Acrobat is one of Bono's favourite U2 songs. Oh, and I know some people from the so-called outside world that adore that song.

Mindfuck, ain't it?

And that "hive mentality" thing will get people far more riled up than some typical "you're all idiotz lol" internet smartassery. I'm fascinated by the assumption that you are not aware how ignorant and insulting that kind of a statement actually is.

8. I think it's a very cool song. Some of my favorite lyrics are: "Car alarm won't let you back to sleep. You're kept awake, dreaming someone else's dream. Coffee is cold, but it'll get you through. Compromise, that's nothing new to you."

Nick66 said:
If you want to see examples of posters calling other people's taste in songs here "stupid", etc., there's plenty of that to be found in these threads. Just not from me.

Nick66 said:
Fast Cars #6.

:lol::coocoo::lmao:

Well there's one example for you.

But I'll agree that other members have been more hostile in their posts when it comes to the results so far.

But there seems to be a hive mind mentality about certain songs here...this being one of them.

Yeah, I've stayed out of most of this bollocks, but I'm going to weigh in here because this strikes a chord with me. Nick66, ye of so little imagination, why don't you just stop assuming that the average non-fanatic only knows certain songs and that the popularity of certain other songs on Interference is completely atypical and the result of a hive mind without any resonance beyond its pale blue walls?

Once upon a time, I only casually knew U2. The year was 2002 and I was 15. I had only a couple of U2 CDs and they were just one of a number of bands I enjoyed. So I picked up the nineties Best Of, and you know one of the songs that stuck out straight away? Sure as hell wasn't One or MW. It was Electrical Storm. Some of the very first "top ten U2 songs" lists I ever made included ES, generally in the top five. Sure, the more I explored U2's catalogue, the more it was displaced by other songs, but the fact I'm giving it a 9 here (solely for the original mix; always thought the Orbit mix was a neutered poor man's version) is not because I've long since assimilated with an Interference hive mind, but based on attitudes I've held even before I fell in love with U2 and registered on this site. Yes, such a time existed.

Oh, and one of my family members who only casually listens to U2 went to a Vertigo Tour concert and was absolutely stunned they didn't play Silver And Gold. Just throwing that out there.

At least 1,000 of them about One Tree Hill alone. Can I claim credit for some of the hive mind?
No matter how amazing One Tree Hill is, it's not on The Unforgettable Fire. So yes, can claim a chunk of the hive mind.

Damn that Joshua Tree. :angry:

o·pin·ion (
schwa.gif
-p
ibreve.gif
n
prime.gif
y
schwa.gif
n)n.1. A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/opinion

Axver made me like One Tree Hill. At gunpoint.

Before I vote on any of these polls, I look to see what everyone else is voting and then pick the most popular choice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom