Rate the Song: Drunk Chicken/America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MERIKA

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
I have decided to expand the list of TUF-TJT-R&H non-album songs to poll Interference on, so this will be the second of now three voting rounds on those songs. The full list is (and feel free to suggest adding some):

Disappearing Act
Love Comes Tumbling
The Three Sunrises
Bass Trap
Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come
Boomerang I
Boomerang II
Luminous Times (Hold on to Love)
Walk to the Water
Spanish Eyes
Silver and Gold
Drunk Chicken/America
Sweetest Thing (original version)
Wave of Sorrow (Birdland)
Hallelujah Here She Comes
A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel
She's a Mystery To Me
Deep in the Heart
Beautiful Ghost/Introduction to Songs of Experience
Desert of Our Love
Rise Up
Yoshino Blossom

We will address Spanish Eyes through A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel today.

Please rate Drunk Chicken/America on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

4. :crack: I just 're' listened to this song and I can't believe I bought it off of iTunes back when this song was released.

And there are 10's for this, are you freaking kidding me.

One of U2's worst songs ever, close to being the worst. Well, I'm considering this as a song. :yikes: Giving this a 3.

I'm not sure why everyone's so vitriolic. For what it is, there's nothing really wrong with it. Not a song, just a cool little 90 second recording. Not everything has to be taken or judged seriously.

You don't hear of people hating on Frank's Wild Years (though that comparison is egregious).

I'm not sure why everyone's so vitriolic. For what it is, there's nothing really wrong with it. Not a song, just a cool little 90 second recording. Not everything has to be taken or judged seriously.

You don't hear of people hating on Frank's Wild Years (though that comparison is egregious).

This is actually a good point.

Compared to almost every other U2 "song", I guess you could say it sucks and is a 1.

But judged on its own terms, it's the only U2 track featuring a poem by Allen Ginsberg, and is one of a kind. Based on that criteria, it's perfect and deserve as 10.

I might have been too hard on it. Though Beautiful Ghost/Introduction to Songs of Experience is a much better use U2/Eno's music combined w/poetry.

Why the hell did I include this?

This one is pretty much all Eno and completely unique in U2's catalogue (they thought enough of it to put it on the JT deluxe remaster), and for that reason alone you were right to include it Dig.

Back
Top Bottom