Rate The Song: Drowning Man

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drowning Man

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Today we shall begin rating War! We're moving along fairly quickly in this Rate The Song Series.

Please rate Drowning Man on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

Meant to give it a 5 :|

Accidentally gave it a 4. Excellent song, but often forgettable in my mind. Lyrics are the strongest part, but other than the fun little marching style drums, the music is simply average.

7 from me. Great imagery in the lyrics, and a must needed change in atmosphere in the middle of the album. Wish they'd have at least tried it out live in 2009. It obviously wouldn't have made it past the first couple of shows, but at least we'd have a decent youtube version of them playing it live!

One of War's least memorable tracks, in my opinion, but I'm starting to like it. Giving it a 6.

I'm giving this a '10' (along with 'Sunday' and 'New Year's Day'). Superior melody, haunting sounds with the choir and electric violin, good lyrics.

(Interesting note: in the mid-80s, Adam Clayton chose this track as his favorite U2 song.)

Perfect 10. I adore this song. Evocative, transcendent...music that really takes you to another place. I'd also rank it as the third best mid-album song on a U2 album (after So Cruel and RTSS).

I have never liked this song that much, but the live version from the rehearsal in Barcelona in 2009 was a great one. The three first album has to much "too young sound", but some of them went tp be real masterpieces. Out Of Control from 2001-2011, Electric Co(Vertigo tour) and Scarlet(360).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIpUcjJUBow

calling Scarlet a masterpiece is the strangest post I ve seen in years..... :doh:

10 and second best on War after NYD. I still remember where I was sitting, what I was doing and wearing when I first heard this song. Floored me.

The centerpiece to War for me, giving this one a 10. This song has such an ethereal beauty, the instrumentation is absolutely gorgeous, and Bono's lyrics are haunting. In my opinion this track also provides the best hint at the direction the band would take with the next album.

I don't have much to say about this one. It's really cool, but it reminds me of something to do with westerns - don't ask me why. I give it a 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom