Rate the Song: Breathe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Breathe

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Believe it or not, today we begin voting on our last round of album tracks, from the second half of No Line on the Horizon!

Please rate Breathe on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

My favorite on the album.

It gives me a big ol' happy, the bit from "we are people born of sound" through the end is amazing.

Sing your heart out, indeed. One of my mottos. :)

It never worked as a great opener, but oh well.

8. Great song. A good rocker from the band. I didn't like it as an opener, but it's not the song's fault, it's the band's fault for refusing to open with Fez-Being Born.

A bright side on an otherwise lackluster second half of the album for me. Solid rocker that ranks an 8 from me.

Unlike Magnificent, this song is how an anthemic U2 song should sound. I love the ending and the solo. The violins add a lot as well. And the upllifting lyrics actually work here. 9

Punchy track that really grew on me over time. When I heard this song was the show opener I was a bit skeptical. Then I saw it and realised immediately that it worked. Later, I saw a show that they didn't use this song to open with, and I realised even more so just how well it works.

Lyrics are hit and miss, but the overall impression the song leaves is pretty solid.

This one has 8 written all over it.

10. Best on the album, and one of the best of the decade. Was fantastic live, but was indifferent to it as an opener. The title track should've taken that job.

Like the title track, it's a real shame it didn't make it out of 2009.

It was a better opener than Beautiful Day, but not as good as Even Better Than the Real Thing.

Am I missing any? Did they do some one-off weird ones like Magnificent as the opener?

corianderstem said:
Am I missing any? Did they do some one-off weird ones like Magnificent as the opener?

Yes, in Boston in 2009. And there was one Euro show in 2010 that opened with Stingray into Magnificent.

It was a better opener than Beautiful Day, but not as good as Even Better Than the Real Thing.

No, unless you count Stingray Guitar (which I'm assuming you've grandfathered in to Beautiful Day in this case).

Call me crazy, but I've always thought that Sunday Bloody Sunday could work as an opener. If they're gonna play it anyway, they should rework it a bit (maybe work the tempo up a bit) and get the crowd going. Imagine an energetic crowd already and then Larry comes in with that drum beat...

Yeah, Magnificent opened the 9/21/09 Foxboro show. Caught me by surprise. Was hoping they'd play Bad or something that night, or Breathe later in the set, but they didn't. Shucks.

8. Great song. A good rocker from the band. I didn't like it as an opener, but it's not the song's fault, it's the band's fault for refusing to open with Fez-Being Born.

Hell yeah!

Some of the lyrics are a bit hit and miss but unlike IGCIIDGCT the music is so ggood that they get away with the dodgy lyrics!

Good song. One of my favorites on the album. A nice breath of fresh air in the midst of some of the darker, more downcast tracks on the second half of the album.

Also, a cockatoo.

Great song, SO uplifting. Possibly the most uplifting song U2 have. And the special timing makes it even better. :love: :love:

Next to MOS and CT my favourite on the album. Man, even after 3 years I still love this album so much.

This used to be a 100/10 for me. This is still the best rocker of the 00s for U2, pairing stunningly great production and arrangement (consider how natural this is compared to SUC) with a powerhouse chorus. Beats the ever loving shit out of Elevation, Vertigo, GOYB, All Because of You, etc. etc. etc. lyrically as well. 9.5/10, rounded down.

The best rocker of the 00's, Edge's guitar soars throughout the entire song and it was a better opener than most people gave it credit for.

Didn't deserve to be dropped and I thought it should've taken the closing spot during the later parts of the tour, right before the encores started, forcing Walk On to, well, walk on :rimshot: (I think we all wanted that). Would've made an excellent closer.

I used to hate this song, but it has really grown on me. Indeed, the second best opener on U2360 - much better than Stingray / Beautiful Day, but slightly lacking compared to Even Better Than The Real Thing. Love Edge's solo, the drumming intro. Great, great song. Love it.

For sure, not a ten-inch cockatoo. :D 9.

939.jpg

Bourne

This song's got balls. Larry owns, great energy throughout, with some powerful guitar work, but in a live setting this would have worked so much better after, say, the Crazy Tonight remix. Not meant to be an opener!

I would have made it the encore opener myself. Everyone's chatting, waiting around for U2 do to something because Bono may be a big fat liar but he doesn't play 90 minute sets like Coldplay, and out of the din rises Larry's drum solo. Crowd goes wild, etc.

Never been a big fan of this one. Sounds like three or four different ideas shoehorned into one. They've done the same thing before a lot better. Some great moments, but overall leaves me feeling pretty meh. 6.

This used to be a 100/10 for me. This is still the best rocker of the 00s for U2, pairing stunningly great production and arrangement (consider how natural this is compared to SUC) with a powerhouse chorus. Beats the ever loving shit out of Elevation, Vertigo, GOYB, All Because of You, etc. etc. etc. lyrically as well. 9.5/10, rounded down.

What caused the 91-point drop-off?

wow... i'm amazed at all the love this is getting...

i do love the drum intro, think it's gorgeous, but then after that i just go meh and skip and lump it together with SUC, Boots and Crazy

maybe i should have another listen

eta: or maybe not lol

Back
Top Bottom