Rate The Song: 4th of July

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4th of July

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Time to rank the second half of The Unforgettable Fire!

Please rate 4th of July on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

Obviously 3 Sunrises Boomerang 2 or Love Comes Tumbling would have been much better than this on the album, but it still offers a rather chilling, sombre colour to the proceedings that I really like.

An important piece in pulling together perfection.

This song should not be rated less because of the sublime synchronicity in the way these tracks compliment each other.

Eno.

Mysterious, dark, ambient, moody. Sums up the ethereal sounds U2 explored on this record and is a cool break between the two halves of this brilliant album. Give it a 9.

Purely based on the song the song itself, and I'm going to do this for every song, I can't give it more than a 2 compared to other U2 songs. In the context of the album it works but outside of that it's nothing special.

As others have put it, it's just another beautiful piece of music. Ambient is how I would describe it. Giving it a 7.

I gave it a 6 because it barely registers until you have the volume up high enough. It's cool though, I like the cascading guitars.

I love this song. It is yet again, another atmospheric song and I think that they knew they could pull that term off. It gets a 9 from me.

I don't know, I think it should. The poll is song vs. song, right? It has nothing to do with albums as such.

I believe Digitize asked us to rate the songs using whatever criteria we wished.

In the case of TUF, for me, that means taking into consideration how each song fits into the whole surrealistic dream landscape U2 has created with this album. Fourth of July is part of that.

Of course, this has resulted in my giving almost everything on TUF a 10. But don't worry, the Bell curve will return to normal when I start dishing out 2's & 3's for most of everything on Pop.

Nick66 said:
I believe Digitize asked us to rate the songs using whatever criteria we wished.

Yep, and I'm glad that you're taking advantage of that. I haven't been voting the same way as you, but part of me is now regretting that I haven't.

In the case of TUF, for me, that means taking into consideration how each song fits into the whole surrealistic dream landscape U2 has created with this album.
Okay, but what's the point of rating at the 'song' level if you're really evaluating albums?

Back
Top Bottom