Rate The Song: "40"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

"40"

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Happy New Year, everyone! It's time to finish up rating War.

Please rate "40" on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

Also, Interference ranks October as follows:
1) Gloria
2) Tomorrow
3) October
4) Rejoice
5) Scarlet
6) I Fall Down
7) I Threw A Brick Through A Window
8) Stranger In A Strange Land
9) Fire
10) With A Shout (Jerusalem)
11) Is That All?

This is quite a significant song in the U2 history, but somehow the studio version pales beside all those live ones. Still a cool song, but you kind of wish they'd had more time to polish it a bit.

While I love the live versions of this song, and I agree that it's a very significant song in U2's history (the show 'closer' for most of U2's tours), the album version is just bland. Still great, though. Gets a 7 from me.

U2 are great at doing final tracks on album, like WUDM, LIB, MOTD The Wanderer and Shadows for example, 40 is up there with some of those.
I love the studui version, very understated, a true prayer.

My first 10 and one of the few I will hand out. U2's done a lot of great rock tunes and anthems, but it's when they make enchanting and moving songs such as this one that they are at their very best. So simple, yet so...almost hauntingly beautiful, both live and in studio.

Unique in every sense, agree the fact that live is better than on record, and it makes a great ending to a live show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom