Rate the Electrical Storm.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate Electrical Storm.

• 10 - A perfect U2 song.

Votes: 13 6.3%

Votes: 23 11.2%

Votes: 74 36.1%

Votes: 39 19.0%

Votes: 31 15.1%

Votes: 15 7.3%

Votes: 4 2.0%

Votes: 6 2.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1. - Bad. Not like the great song, Bad. Just bad.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This song is at best mediocre by U2 standards, so I gave it a 5. Although I enjoy Bono's vocals, the lyrics are pretty lame and the sound is nothing new. The guitar strumming at the beginning reminds me a lot of Summer Rain but at a slower tempo and then certain parts of it remind me of WILATW. This song sounds like a leftover from ATYCLB. I hope this is not the direction they're taking with the new album. I'm starting to wonder if U2 is just interested in making radio fodder.

grace said:
i know this is a bit harsh, but i'm giving it a 5 right now because as much as i love this band, i think the song could be better. i agree with michael griffiths in that i think it has a lot of potential, but lacks focus. i don't know what it is, but i keep waiting for the song to start, to take off and go to 'places no one else has been,' but it doesnt for me. not yet anyways.
i will probably change my mind as soon as i hear it live though.

I agree 100% except I like it slightly more as I gave it a 6. Hearing it live will probebly change my mind. I will say I like it more the more I hear it but it just sounds like it could have been so much more.

Bonos vocals sound great though. The best they have sounded since The Joshua Tree IMO. Sounds like he has really been taking care of his voice this time out. Very encouraging for the new album.

Last edited:
I'm really thrilled about this new song, and right now I LOVE it, but compared to other great U2 songs, I think this one deserves a 7.

I :heart: the guitar (90's U2 sound to me in some parts), the dynamics, and Bono's singing.

The lyrics aren't overly great- like the parts "the sea swells like a sore head" and the part about the truck and luck. Although some parts aren't bad.

The plinking xylophone sound could have been mixed out as far as I'm concerned. I also agree that hopefully the newer versions will have a little *spice* added, although I'm not totally sure what I mean!

I like though. New U2 is always refreshing!

I'll give it a 7 for now. I really need to listen to it walking around the city to fully appreciate it. It's nice to have something new though. The lyrics seem almost too U2 at times to me, but Bono's voice sounds great. It also has a kind of a SATS/TGBHF vibe to it musically, although those tunes are 10's in my book. Nice to see that William Orbit produced it. Should sound good with the other 90's stuff.

Is the B-man taking lyric writing lessons from Lenny Kravitz?

This song has potential - and does rock without being spastic or sappy - so it has potential.

In relation to the other U2 classics, I only gave it a 3.

Hopefully the finished product will be in the 7-8 range.

however i get the feeling its going to be a typically u2 grower..

mmmmmmmm

Okay.
I gave it an 8.
But that was a while ago!LMAO!
It makes me feel.....:censored:
It's very very very sexaaaay.
Not their best EVER....but still...I....I....just FEEL it.
What is it with Bono and his sexaaaaay lyrics?:drool: :drool:
Anyhow.
I like it. In fact...I'm liking it more than an 8 now.
I'd give it a 9 now.
The swollen head.....2 lovers lying on the bed with no sheets...:drool: :drool: :drool:
oxoxoxo
Autumn

Dammit Bono why did you have to do it again? Take my :heart: with your words :sad:

ill rate it too

this song has an okay beginning. the late beginning is good as it segues into the early early middle. things pick up there and you don't even notice the early early stage before you're into just early stage. the early middle is awesome. the middle drops off a little bit, it's kinda jerky and uncomfortable and there's a hint of edge trying to be mainstream-which i don't like. then the late middle starts, which is really just a continuation of the middle. i've always been a fan of the late late middle of U2 songs-they do it better than anyone else in the industry i think. but the late late middle of this song is atrocious-i couldn't wait for it to be over. things pick up with the early end and edges big phat guitar and then its the end.

overall id give it a 69%. BUT that is with late late middle in, which only gets a 17%. if the song had no late late middle(just imagine!:no: ) i'd probably give it a 78%.

I'll give it a 7. i like the music quite a lot. for me it is easy to see a little 'summer rain', a splash of 'walk on' quite a bit of 'baby face', and to stretch it a little, some influence from 'the working hour' by tears for fears. this is all good. let's face it, after 50 years of rock you can only bend the chords so many ways. i like to write lyrics myself so that is probably what i look for first. i see u2 trying to get an easy rhyme out of this one. i'm still listening to it over and over though. i keep hearing that there's up to 5 versions of this song so far. i wonder if that is true? with all the obscure, oddball songs and remixes that make their way to the internet it's hard to imagine that someone has another version out there and they are just sitting on it. of course, maybe only u2 has the other versions, and they have perfect self control and good business sense.

I gave it a 4. I thought the singing was sloppy, the lyrics were forced, the production is bad. It does sound like an unfinished demo, but production won't save this song unless major changes are made. It sounds like something you'll hear on those adult contemporary stations. It doesn't rock at all, and Edge sounds like he's got at least one hand tied behind his back. The music industry claims that downloading is stopping people from buying records; it did here. Unless this song gets better, I won't be buying it. :tsk:

I don't think this song sounds adult contemporary, as it does "rock" more than, say, most of ATYCLB. I do believe it's a grower -- kind of "mood" song. Probably good to wake up to. Or maybe go to bed to. My only gripe, really, is that it won't stick out on the radio at all. This is the most mainstream U2 has ever been.

Last edited:
Well after going through what is being said and going through the song over and over again, I have rated it 8.I dont know much but there is a fire in this piece of music, there is a drive that will make it stand apart from the rest of the music scene.Its not groundbreaking, but then it does not have to be groundbreaking to be good.The best part is, that it sounds quite familiar but when you think hard, it doesnt sound like anything else, U2 or non U2.

I still cannot belive that Bono's voice can be so good again.I still have faith in the man, but then its too good to be true.I am specialy digging how Bono and Edge dictate the tempo of the song.... this is a classic stuff from U2.

This song has a good scope and I wont be surprised if it becomes a highlight of the live shows.

Sky can crack...is certainly one of their best pieces of music

cool 8

After reading all of the posts here, it has got me to thinking.

Maybe U2 released this prematurely in a crappy format, to disguise themselves. Maybe they want the fan's reaction to the song and then they are going to go back and finish it?

I realize this seems very un u2-like but you have to wonder. It sounds like a good song but very unfinished from the responses here.

I , of course, haven't heard the song yet. I want to hear the official released version.

I honestly love this song.

It has an AB sound, and an ATYCLB sound too, and as somebody else mentioned it is better than it's predecessor (in it's position) 'sweetest thing'.

I hadn't listened to it since sunday and I tinkered with my interactive sound volume control raising the volume(s) up and I was able to get a much better perspective on :edge: !

Since I don't know how to rate U2 songs I gave it a 10 for now because I am overjoyed with the newness and anticipation. Plus it is beautiful!

As far as U2 songs go and rating them, On this scale I would give 'Pride' a 10 and 'stateless' a 1. Thats just my thinking.

________

:der:

I like the song. I like the music, love love love the vocals... but I really don't like the lyrics. I think it'll be better live though. I only gave it a 6.

z edge said:
I honestly love this song.

It has an AB sound, and an ATYCLB sound too, and as somebody else mentioned it is better than it's predecessor (in it's position) 'sweetest thing'.

I hadn't listened to it since sunday and I tinkered with my interactive sound volume control raising the volume(s) up and I was able to get a much better perspective on :edge: !

Since I don't know how to rate U2 songs I gave it a 10 for now because I am overjoyed with the newness and anticipation. Plus it is beautiful!

As far as U2 songs go and rating them, On this scale I would give 'Pride' a 10 and 'stateless' a 1. Thats just my thinking.

________

:der:
Ah, that doesn't surprise me. I would have given 'Statless' an 8.5 or so. I do agree with you on 'Pride' though.:)

Good

This is the best that I have heard Bono's voice in some time. Bono must have laid off the cigarettes and liquor a tad bit, because his voice sounds great.
I do NOT like the soaring guitar part when he sings:
"You're in my mind all of the time
I know that's not enough
If the sky can crack
There must be some way back
For love and only love"
The guitat noise better emulates an airplane soaring, than part of the song. I hope that his voice on the other new songs sound this good. Overall I rate the song 7.49 out of 10. I am picky.
:wave:

They just played it in Minneapolis radio station Cities 97. The DJs (both big U2 fans :)) rated it:

BT: Nice song. Nice song. I give it about an 85 or so right out of the box. How about that? Its got that classic U2 feel, its got that middle ground value of production and sound and we'll see how that grows as we get a better copy--even with the crunchiness of the Edge and the not so great stereo separation and all the things that happen when you get a bootleg.

Kelly: I have to listen-You know I'm a huge U2 fan and I don't necesarily always love each song the first time I hear it. But I find them INFINITELY LISTENABLE. and songs that didn't strike me necessarily the first time, I end up liking ALOT later on. So I'll have to see, the jurys out on that.

Just thought it would be fun to get a DJs point of view in here!!! :dance:

I feel I should check out the lyrics a bit more
the demo version reminded me of a b-side at time (absence of a quality chorus) but I really like the ending (especially Edge's guitar)

so far a 6
but I think the final version might be quite good

Good song, maybe a 7

I rate the song a 7. Its good but not exceptional. But one thing it's not is boring and trite like many songs on ATYCLB. Dont get me wrong, I dont hate the album. Just dont like certain atrocities like elevation or stuck. But if E-Storm is any indication about the direction the band is heading in, I think it could be a good sign.:)

I like it, but it sounds like an ATYCLB song. I was hoping for something newer sounding, a preview of the new album. (Which Bono claims is more old school/punkish, right? :confused: ) So, in that way, I'm disappointed. But the song itself is nice.

I question it's radio play-ability here in the US. It's a weaker song the Beautiful Day, and BD hardly got the radio play it deserved.

Back
Top Bottom