Rascal Flatts new video is like City Of Blinding Lights... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-09-2006, 08:28 PM   #1
Refugee
 
theu2fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,258
Local Time: 06:34 PM
Rascal Flatts new video is like City Of Blinding Lights...

http://www.vh1.com/vspot/index.jhtml?vid=75510

Watch the video, they perform part of the song behind LED curtains, and the video reminded me of "City Of Blinding Lights" -- perhaps Rascal Flatts saw U2 in concert?
__________________

theu2fly is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 08:39 PM   #2
Refugee
 
cjboog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington State, USA
Posts: 1,332
Local Time: 11:34 AM
Wow, it does remind me of COBL, maybe they did it on purpose
__________________

cjboog is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 08:43 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life
 
JCOSTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: It's a very, very mad world.
Posts: 14,971
Local Time: 01:34 PM
Isn't copying the best form of flattery!
JCOSTER is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 08:47 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: gone
Posts: 17,902
Local Time: 12:34 PM
they also use confetti at their concerts
Chizip is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 08:57 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 08:34 PM
Yeah I guess... Has no one used light curtains before U2? That's an honest question.

Anyway, forget U2... I like that song, What Hurts The Most.
Zoots is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 09:06 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Girl1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: At the altar of the dark star
Posts: 19,374
Local Time: 01:34 PM
When is this going to stop? Seriously?
U2Girl1978 is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 09:30 PM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,202
Local Time: 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
Has no one used light curtains before U2? That's an honest question.

U2 had this technology specifically designed for this tour.
BVS is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 09:37 PM   #8
Refugee
 
Hallucination's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Posts: 2,364
Local Time: 01:34 PM
The light curtains look like U2's but it's hardly a "rip off' off COBL. If anything up untill the last 20 seconds it's a blatant rip off of Wake Me When September Ends by Greenday Seriously why did that dude crash his truck. he was on a straight, dry road durrng the day. Worst crash scene ever. And what the hell did her dad have to do with it. Pretty good song, bad, bad video.
Hallucination is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 09:39 PM   #9
Refugee
 
cjboog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington State, USA
Posts: 1,332
Local Time: 11:34 AM
Yah I wondered the same thing about the crash, how did he crash??? But yeah, I wouldn't call it a rip off of COBL, if anything it should be flattering.
cjboog is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 09:43 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,257
Local Time: 01:34 PM
I love the song. They're my favorite band right now.

Go get the new CD now. Right now. Go.
2861U2 is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 10:00 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
catlhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 5,665
Local Time: 11:34 AM
Uh I don't think the thread maker was claiming U2 was "ripped off" or anything to that effect. Maybe I read the title/post wrong but all I got was that someone was comparing a Rascal Flatts video to U2's because they thought they were similar.

uh oh, anti-sheep police on the watch tonight!
catlhere is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 10:06 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict
 
kafrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Upside-down
Posts: 19,644
Local Time: 11:34 AM
I saw that the other day. Looks to me like the exact same curtains. If you look at the close-ups of them, they appear to have the same design and everything That's cool though
kafrun is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 10:29 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
angelordevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Inside a sound
Posts: 5,830
Local Time: 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


U2 had this technology specifically designed for this tour.

Exactly.


Quote:
Originally posted by Hallucination
If anything up untill the last 20 seconds it's a blatant rip off of Wake Me When September Ends by Greenday

Yes.


Quote:
Originally posted by U2Girl1978
When is this going to stop? Seriously?

Do you mean blatant imitation, or criticism of blatant imitation? I think the former should definitely stop, but the sameness train seems out of control these days. I'd be ashamed to release this as an original piece of art, or as an expression of my band.
angelordevil is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 11:36 PM   #14
The Fly
 
cypress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Zoo Station, Wisconsin
Posts: 273
Local Time: 01:34 PM
This is nothing unusual in the concert business. Every band out there that's either seen the U2 dvd or gone to a U2 concert probably said "wow we gotta get us one of them!" when they saw the curtain of lights. Take pride in the fact that U2 was the first to use it (as usual). But expect to see differing variations on the technology used from now on by other bands. Much like the cool heart-shaped stage was innovated by U2 and began being used in various shapes by other bands. The Petrified Stones really turned on the xerox machine by using an ellipse in their Super Bowl halftime show.. (gee where have we seen that before.. they even put colored lights around the edges).

Everyone copies but only a few innovate.. our band seems to do most of the innovating and I take great pride in that and have since I first saw Zoo TV right up until today. "Island B-stages", creative use of cutting-edge huge video walls, full-elliptical catwalks, video curtains.. and those are just a few major ones.. I'm not even counting the numerous innovations in various forms of high-intensity lighting debuted by U2. U2 has been responsible for a great deal of the innovations that have occured in the concert industry over the past two decades and we as fans should be proud of it, not whine when someone else thinks it's cool and utilizes it.
cypress is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 11:43 PM   #15
Refugee
 
cjboog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington State, USA
Posts: 1,332
Local Time: 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by cypress
This is nothing unusual in the concert business. Every band out there that's either seen the U2 dvd or gone to a U2 concert probably said "wow we gotta get us one of them!" when they saw the curtain of lights. Take pride in the fact that U2 was the first to use it (as usual). But expect to see differing variations on the technology used from now on by other bands. Much like the cool heart-shaped stage was innovated by U2 and began being used in various shapes by other bands. The Petrified Stones really turned on the xerox machine by using an ellipse in their Super Bowl halftime show.. (gee where have we seen that before.. they even put colored lights around the edges).

Everyone copies but only a few innovate.. our band seems to do most of the innovating and I take great pride in that and have since I first saw Zoo TV right up until today. "Island B-stages", creative use of cutting-edge huge video walls, full-elliptical catwalks, video curtains.. and those are just a few major ones.. I'm not even counting the numerous innovations in various forms of high-intensity lighting debuted by U2. U2 has been responsible for a great deal of the innovations that have occured in the concert industry over the past two decades and we as fans should be proud of it, not whine when someone else thinks it's cool and utilizes it.
cjboog is offline  
Old 04-09-2006, 11:58 PM   #16
Refugee
 
Hallucination's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Posts: 2,364
Local Time: 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cypress
This is nothing unusual in the concert business. Every band out there that's either seen the U2 dvd or gone to a U2 concert probably said "wow we gotta get us one of them!" when they saw the curtain of lights. Take pride in the fact that U2 was the first to use it (as usual). But expect to see differing variations on the technology used from now on by other bands. Much like the cool heart-shaped stage was innovated by U2 and began being used in various shapes by other bands. The Petrified Stones really turned on the xerox machine by using an ellipse in their Super Bowl halftime show.. (gee where have we seen that before.. they even put colored lights around the edges).

Everyone copies but only a few innovate.. our band seems to do most of the innovating and I take great pride in that and have since I first saw Zoo TV right up until today. "Island B-stages", creative use of cutting-edge huge video walls, full-elliptical catwalks, video curtains.. and those are just a few major ones.. I'm not even counting the numerous innovations in various forms of high-intensity lighting debuted by U2. U2 has been responsible for a great deal of the innovations that have occured in the concert industry over the past two decades and we as fans should be proud of it, not whine when someone else thinks it's cool and utilizes it.
I agree with everything you said. The light curtains used by Rascal Flats didn't bother me a bit. Useing the same technology as other bands is no big deal, I even thought the Stones stage at the Superbowl was cool even though it reaked of U2's stage. Its'a cool stage design and everytime I go to a concert I find myself thinking why aren't these bands doing what U2 does. As for the video I found it embarssingly similar to Greendays' video Wake Me When September Ends. Had Greenday's been done years ago that'd be fine but it's only been about 6 months and these guys release the exact same video. Too funny. I guess releaseing the exact same video as other artists has been around as long as Hip Hop though.
Hallucination is offline  
Old 04-10-2006, 12:00 AM   #17
New Yorker
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,846
Local Time: 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cypress
Take pride in the fact that U2 was the first to use it (as usual).
Couldn't agree more , like is something to be really proud of , flattered , I mean imagine if someone starts kind of doing something u do , to me this is like a sign of admiration , not to feel bad about it , or think it's a rip off. This is a reason to be once again proud of u2 , once again why they are so great , and again showing how them are revolutionary in terms of show , they may have not get this point in making albums like beatles , but in terms of live show , dude they are going to be remembered .
J_NP is offline  
Old 04-10-2006, 12:13 AM   #18
Refugee
 
Hallucination's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Posts: 2,364
Local Time: 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by J_NP


Couldn't agree more , like is something to be really proud of , flattered , I mean imagine if someone starts kind of doing something u do , to me this is like a sign of admiration , not to feel bad about it , or think it's a rip off. This is a reason to be once again proud of u2 , once again why they are so great , and again showing how them are revolutionary in terms of show , they may have not get this point in making albums like beatles , but in terms of live show , dude they are going to be remembered .
yeah but they do make albums like the Beatles. Even better actually
Hallucination is offline  
Old 04-10-2006, 12:18 AM   #19
New Yorker
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,846
Local Time: 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hallucination


yeah but they do make albums like the Beatles. Even better actually
Dude I couldn't agree more , but I'm pretty too scared to say things like that Before people burn me alive or something like this , or another but this one is a very strong true , sorry fans of george harrison , but he doesn't compate to edge I would kind like to see his face if he heard edge's intro of the fly in brazil for example .
J_NP is offline  
Old 04-10-2006, 09:07 AM   #20
War Child
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 536
Local Time: 06:34 PM
Good lord that song was shite. The song AND the video both contained the heavy-handed "HEY LOOK AT ME WE'RE BEING DRAMATIC PLEASE CRY!" drama that completely turns me off to country/country-pop.
__________________

Achtung Ya'll is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×