rare video???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

retro

The Fly
I work for a music video channel in North America (that shall go nameless) and I stumbled upon a rare video in the archives. The video for the club version of Discotheque. I believe it’s the DM Deep Club Mix of the song. To my knowledge I had no idea such a video existed. It’s not on the Best Of 1990-2000 DVD and I had never seen it air. (although I’m sure someone has)

The video contains a few shots from the normal video….but for the most part it’s filled with trippy animated bits.

So how rare a find is this?? Just wondering..

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I saw it aired a few times when it came out, nothing great.

I never said it was great :) (Just wondering on how rare it is ...)

Although it does havea funny shot of real Lemons dressed in dolls clothes, like the members of that band in the video.

There is no link to post :) sorry guys

Damn...I think I had that video at one point. I think it got lost when one of my hard drives got fried a while back. I didn't realize it was so 'rare'.

I just recently saw this video actually... for Christmas I received a "U2 Video Anthology" 5-disc set from E-bay. The seller noted if a music video was RARE or MEGARARE. This DM Deep Club Radio Edit version wasn't labelled as either :shrug: Apparently it was released in February '97. It looks like this was the 3rd and final version behind the Original Version 1 and the Steve Osbourne Remix.

The dancing lemons are very funny. Sorry, I don't have a link to provide either.

This 5 disc anthology u speak of ....who put it together? how do they make the determination of what is rare ? just curious.

retro said:
This 5 disc anthology u speak of ....who put it together? how do they make the determination of what is rare ? just curious.

Here's a link to the item, it's up on ebay now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/U2-Bono-Music-V...oryZ2356QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's put together by Blitz Productions. I'm noticing that they've added SYCMIOYO, COBL, OOTS & a couple of "making of" videos to disc 5 since my parents ordered it for me... anyway it's real cool to have, I hadn't seen like half of what's on there. There are many versions of the same video in some cases, so it can get a little redundant... but us serious U2 fans can appreciate it.

I went through that list... there's a lot of of stuff there that I would not classify as rare at all. There's also alot of stuff I would classify as rare. Too numerous to mention. But I guess that's their opinion.

Achtung_Bebe said:
I just recently saw this video actually... for Christmas I received a "U2 Video Anthology" 5-disc set from E-bay.

Could you please tell me what the picture quality is like on these DVDs, especially the older/rarer stuff like Sun City, In A Lifetime, Christmas (Baby Please Come Home), Save the Children.

Thanks.

retro said:

A bootlegger put it together. As far as what is rare. A pro bootlegger trying to sell something likes to use the term "rare" because it makes it seem more valuable. Thats where the determination came from for this item.

As far as what is really rare. I would define it as this. Not available for sale, trade or download and very few people have the item. That is a rarity to me. Nothing on this anthology deal fits that criteria.

Last edited:
chocky, the quality is fine... the discs are broken up into 5-minute chapters. The videos have been either taped off of t.v. or downloaded off the internet. This is obviously a bootlegger's work, as Blue Room said, and yeah I guess bootleggers' would claim things to be "rare" when they really aren't.

Blue Room, I like your definition of "rare," it seems like nothing would fit this criteria now, with all the trading done on the internet. You wouldn't consider the Rattle and Hum outtakes to be rare then?

and david on volume III #68 there's God Part II (Live Australia 1989). Is there any other God Part II video I should know about??

Does anyone know where there's an official "master list" of all U2 music videos ever released? On u2.com maybe (I'm not a member).

Blue Room said:
As far as what is really rare. I would define it as this. Not available for sale, trade or download and very few people have the item.

That's true. And this bootlegger calling Two Hearts as rare....get real !

But some of the videos on this DVD are only available as poor downloads on the internet (eg. Christmas Baby Please Come Home, Sun City). If his versions are high quality, then they are rare IMHO.

Achtung_Bebe said:

Blue Room, I like your definition of "rare," it seems like nothing would fit this criteria now, with all the trading done on the internet. You wouldn't consider the Rattle and Hum outtakes to be rare then?

Actually I would not. That has been available on VHS, DVD and I think it has been torrented. I remember seeing it on VHS for sale at a record show back in the early 90's. Its been out there for a LONG time. Its no rarity in any way to me.

chocky said:

That's true. And this bootlegger calling Two Hearts as rare....get real !

But some of the videos on this DVD are only available as poor downloads on the internet (eg. Christmas Baby Please Come Home, Sun City). If his versions are high quality, then they are rare IMHO.

All you need to do is some trading rather than just looking for the easy download. Both of those are available in perfect quality by most people that trade video. I dont think of those as rarities at all.

Back
Top Bottom