Rare Recording Featuring Three-Fourths of U2 for Sale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lila64

Blue Crack Distributor
according to @U2

Rare Recording Featuring Three-Fourths of U2 for Sale

Message from 1981 described as 'fresh and relevant'

@U2, July 03, 2006

Scott Calhoun

A company in Littlehampton, England, offering an eclectic line of products, from holiday packages to financial advising to books and CDs, is selling copies of a presentation Bono, the Edge and Larry Mullen Jr. made 25 years ago to a weekend retreat for Christian musicians.

Dream Depot advertises its U2's Vision CD as a "never before available" recording. Its web site says: "Be inspired by Bono, the Edge and Larry talking about the spiritual roots of U2 at a music seminar in 1981. Drawing heavily on Old Testament prophets, they explain their vision for the band and sound a warning to the Christian music scene."

The January 1981 retreat was held at the Gaines Christian Center in Worcester, England, and organized by Laurie Mellor as a Ghettout Music event. Mellor started Ghettout Music in 1980 as a recording and management company for motivating Christian musicians to leave the Christian music sub-culture behind for the mainstream music world.

Now a director of Dream Depot, Mellor said he met Bono, Edge, and Larry in the summer of 1980, just prior to the release of U2's debut album, Boy. After getting to know them later that year, he asked them to come speak at his retreat.

"I invited the band because I felt their presence would be inspirational, and so it proved," Mellor said. "The invitation to speak was accepted at once, and I believe the three felt their presence was very beneficial."

whole article here: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=4320&Key=&Year=&Cat=

I saw that too. It's $32.95, I'm willing to chip in few dollars to hear this.

I ordered a copy of this but never received it. @U2 later reported that the vendor had been asked by PM to stop selling this item.
And yes, it was talking only, no music. And (no surprise) most of the talking was done by Bono. Mullen was present at the event but didn't speak at all, and Edge said very little.
U2Sermons had a fuller report on the content when it first went on sale. They were apparently extremely fervent and open in their remarks on their faith and its relation to their work as musicians.

Back
Top Bottom