Rare & Unreleased tracks - iTunes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mhowells

The Fly
Without being blunt (though I'm not sure if there's any other way) how exactly can I get my hands on the "rare & unreleased" tracks from the Complete U2 without forking over $150?? Anyone found them elsewhere (for free!!). Many thanks,

Reggie Thee Dog said:
There is one way to get them without forking over a $150 for the Complete U2 Digital Box Set. Buy a U2 iPod and use the $50 coupon to buy it for $99.99.
that's only a deal if you wanted the ipod anyway!

I think it's lame that you can only get the rare songs with the box set. Apple is as evil as Microsoft sometimes! but I still love my U2 iPod.

Popmartijn said:
Why is that lame?
Because i am buying U2 stuff since 1979 and as reward i need to buy the ipod stuff to get rare tracks. Thanks U2
:up:

If U2 were to release a 4 disc box set, do you ask the proprieter to cut it up and just give you the last disc? The one with the rarities on it? Just because you already own the contents of the other 3 discs?
For that matter, did you buy the Best Of Disc 1980 - 1990, even though you had most of that stuff on CD already? I did, because I wanted the B-Sides on CD instead of relying on a copy from my record player.
The digital boxset is expensive, but it is a good value. 37.5 cents a song (if you do the math for 400 songs, not the 446 that you download)
A 12 track CD in the mall can you run you $18 so that's about $1.50 per song. So, in this scenario, you're getting 4 songs for the price of one and you're getting it in the best way. And don't forget that in additon to the Rarities disc, you also got 2 concerts that had never been released commercially and the new album.
Let's price the two concerts at $20 a piece and the new album at $15. That's $55 right there. The rarities and early demos would add another $20. That brings us to $75, or half the price of the box set. And that still doesn't include the b-sides and singles that have never been available in digital format before.
I would defend the pricing because compared to a lot of other bands this is a really cool offering. :up:

starsforu2 said:
If U2 were to release a 4 disc box set, do you ask the proprieter to cut it up and just give you the last disc? The one with the rarities on it? Just because you already own the contents of the other 3 discs?
For that matter, did you buy the Best Of Disc 1980 - 1990, even though you had most of that stuff on CD already?

Bearing in mind the Best Of's were considerably cheaper than the U2 iPod. Irrespective of "value for money" those without a large income most likely can't afford the U2 iPod.

I can't afford the U2 iPod, but I'd buy an album including the rare and unreleased material - if priced at the usual album price.

you don't have to buy the U2 iPod to get the Complete U2 collection off of iTunes. And in reality, you're not really saving anything with the iPod coupon... the U2 iPod is $50 more than the regular iPod, and the coupon is with... ta-da... $50.

but enough about the iPod... just download iTunes off of www.itunes.com and you can buy The Complete U2 for $150. It is WELL worth the money. Yea... I have every U2 album already in CD form. And I have a decent number of singles, concerts, etc. etc. etc. as well. Long story short, I've got a lot of shit. But there's like 150 some odd songs that I have no recordings of what-so-ever that I now have because I bought The Complete U2.

Think of it this way... if you were to try to put together all of the stuff in this digital box set on your own... all of the singles, imports, concerts, bonuses, etc. etc., you would no doubt spend more than $150... frankly, most of these singles you can't even get anymore unless you go through e-bay or somethin'. Some of the things have never been converted into CD form before, so you can't even buy them unless you want vinyl. And on top of all of that, you also get 15 or unreleased and/or rare tracks.

:shrug: It's well worth the price. The cost to buy each and every one of the things included in the digital box set would probably exceed $500, and you get it for $150. It really ain't that much.

Popmartijn said:
What's the most you've spent for a record?

For how many tracks (that you wanted) was that?
Not much more than the regular price but i already payed for that songs, ....do i need to pay a second time for it. ?

Rono said:
Not much more than the regular price but i already payed for that songs, ....do i need to pay a second time for it. ?
Ah fuck, after seeing the news i feel stupid,....it is not worth it.

starsforu2 said:

I would if the proprieter was willing to cut it up and give me the first three discs without batting an eyelid, and then without reason said that he wouldn't do the same with the 4th disc.

I've said this before: if some of the tracks are available for individual download, all of them should be. The only people interested in downloading individual tracks off of AB or JT are casual fans/non-fans, who wouldn't buy the full record. These fans are the last people who would be interested in hearing these rare/unreleased tracks. The primary target audience (at least given the bare minimum examination of the attitudes of the marketplace) of the rare/unreleased tracks are the people who already own everything else the band has officially released.

Since when did everyone become so morally astute around here? I seem to remember everyone as sharks when htdaab came out.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
you don't have to buy the U2 iPod to get the Complete U2 collection off of iTunes. And in reality, you're not really saving anything with the iPod coupon... the U2 iPod is $50 more than the regular iPod, and the coupon is with... ta-da... $50.

but enough about the iPod... just download iTunes off of www.itunes.com and you can buy The Complete U2 for $150. It is WELL worth the money. Yea... I have every U2 album already in CD form. And I have a decent number of singles, concerts, etc. etc. etc. as well. Long story short, I've got a lot of shit. But there's like 150 some odd songs that I have no recordings of what-so-ever that I now have because I bought The Complete U2.

I installed iTunes on my PC and then tried to download stuff - I got a message saying it hasn't been set up for downloading in my country yet and I can only lessen to segments. Now this pisses me off mightily considering U2 are actually from Ireland.

A lot of the "new" material appears to be just umpteen remixes of previously issued singles - how many remixes of Lemon do we actually need?

mwheelonh said:

I would if the proprieter was willing to cut it up and give me the first three discs without batting an eyelid, and then without reason said that he wouldn't do the same with the 4th disc.

I've said this before: if some of the tracks are available for individual download, all of them should be. The only people interested in downloading individual tracks off of AB or JT are casual fans/non-fans, who wouldn't buy the full record. These fans are the last people who would be interested in hearing these rare/unreleased tracks. The primary target audience (at least given the bare minimum examination of the attitudes of the marketplace) of the rare/unreleased tracks are the people who already own everything else the band has officially released.

LOL

They did not cut up the rest of the Complete U2. They were released seperatley and you can buy them seperatley. That "Unreleased" section means that it has never been released (fascinating, heh?). Of course the rest of it you can buy seperately, the same way it has been for years....

I have them.

Tell ya what...for those that don't have the unreleased tracks and want them...

Post your e-mail addys here

Within the next few days I'll put all 18 of those files in a zip file and usendi it. I will send the link to the e-mail addys you post here. That way I don't have to post any links to commercial material on Interference but I can still let you guys have the songs.

I thought I read a post that "Canadian iTunes" or something was offering the ability to download individual songs from the "Complete U2" collection. Is this still true? Was it ever true?

If it still is true, then I was just about to start a thread asking if someone would be willing to download and burn individual rare tunes and HTDAAB extra tracks for me. (I'd pay them to pay iTunes of course - - a legal effort.) All of this because I cannot download iTunes onto my computer (because it won't accomodate my Windows 98 system).

Does anyone know if this is possible????

namkcuR said:
I have them.

Tell ya what...for those that don't have the unreleased tracks and want them...

Post your e-mail addys here

Within the next few days I'll put all 18 of those files in a zip file and usendi it. I will send the link to the e-mail addys you post here. That way I don't have to post any links to commercial material on Interference but I can still let you guys have the songs.

namkcuR, you are my hero!!!

U2Chick@gmail.com

Knuckle said:
I thought I read a post that "Canadian iTunes" or something was offering the ability to download individual songs from the "Complete U2" collection. Is this still true? Was it ever true?

If it still is true, then I was just about to start a thread asking if someone would be willing to download and burn individual rare tunes and HTDAAB extra tracks for me. (I'd pay them to pay iTunes of course - - a legal effort.) All of this because I cannot download iTunes onto my computer (because it won't accomodate my Windows 98 system).

Does anyone know if this is possible????

This WAS true for the first few days when iTunes Canada was launched, but they quickly put an end to that. There are some lucky people out there that were able access the songs individually for a couple of days.

Hey namkucR, that's really good of you. I honestly wanted to download them legally, but being from Ireland, like financeguy, I can't actually do that! Damn you Apple! Damn your oily hides!
Many thanks: alanjsmyth@hotmail.com

Back
Top Bottom