Raising the new U2 generation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NicaMom

Den Mother
Well my heart is where it's always been, my head i
I just had to share this because I'm so proud...
My 11 year old son has to write a report on a country for his Social Studies class and he picked Ireland.
biggrin.gif

He's even going to find a way to bring up U2 in the report.
biggrin.gif

He's in his room right now listening to "Boy", I love how he sings along!
biggrin.gif

I can picture you both there. Way to go Mariana! I bet you can help him...well, a little, LOL

------------------
"To me a rock and roll concert is 3-D, it?s a physical thing - it?s rhythm for the body. It?s a mental thing in that it should be intellectually challenging. But it?s also a spiritual thing, because it?s a community, it?s people agreeing on something, even if it?s only for an hour and a half." (Bono, as quoted in the book U2 The Road to Pop)

I'll help him with the U2 part.
biggrin.gif

This report is a big project, it has to include geography (complete with 2 maps), government, culture, economy, people and history.
*wonders where to sneak U2*

aww, Laura, their sweet little voices singing, it's the best!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by NicaMom (edited 01-19-2002).]

i'm doing my part--i've raised 4 kids completely indoctrinated them into the U2 culture and subjected them to my obsession for the past 16 years. 3 of them have been to shows and my 6 year old daughter is almost as obsessed as i am. i no longer can go to a show with out her. she was in the heart 3 times this tour. and she karaoked beautiful day, mysterious ways and one at my company christmas party this year.although she has now added no doubt to her playlist at home as a result of seeing them this leg.

Originally posted by NicaMom:
it has to include geography (complete with 2 maps), government, culture, economy, people and history.
*wonders where to sneak U2*
you could try economy
I believe that for quite some time U2 was Ireland's second biggest export product (after Guinness of course)

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, does it?
smile.gif

Last summer I was visiting my sister and I asked my 7-year-old nephew what music he was into. He responded, "Well, the only song I like on the radio right now is 'Beautiful Day.'" Talk about a proud auntie. My sister isn't a U2 fan, and I'd never mentioned it to my nephew, so it's obvious the kid just has good taste.

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 01-22-2002).]

That concert/rally for the Yes vote was very important politically... yeah, that's it, that picture of Trimble and Adams (oops, did I get the right guys??) -- hey, wait, who's that fella in the middle...???
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Deb D

------------------
He set my feet upon a rock
made my footsteps firm

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

Well, you can bet that in this house, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I mean come on, as fanatical as I am about U2..Its a given that my 4 yr old son loves U2 too..
biggrin.gif

"beutiful day, beutiful day...mom"

that's my boy!...will take him to the next shows maybe..hmmm or the tour after that..

Peace!

------------------
If you twist and turn away
If you tear yourself in two again
If I could, yes I would
If I could, I would
Let it go
Surrender
Dislocate

hotasahandbag, that's cool that you've taken yoru kids to see U2, I hope I can do the same next time U2 come to town...Along with Amy and her family!
joyfulgirl, now you have an idea what to give your niece for her BD!
biggrin.gif

Thanks Salome! My son asked what 's
"Guinness".
biggrin.gif

LOL Deb!

I took my 14 yr old and his friend skiing yesterday. My son likes Limp Biskit, Stained. They brought headphones along to listen to their own CD's. They actually listed all the way through to my cassettes of War, Joshua Tree, and Achtung Baby, and liked parts of them.

my daughter loves u2, when im shopping, she would always tell me when some stores would be playing them in the background because i can't hear so well(mommy! they're playing U2!), she would sing along to beautiful day and elevation. those are her favorite songs
smile.gif

Just curious.... after what year would you have to be born to be considered the new U2 generation?

Well, I already qualify cause I was raised on it by my parents.... and everyone else in my clan.... my 3 year old sister sings "The Unfogettable Fire" now, and "I Will Follow"... it's so funny to watch!

I am so glad I was raised on U2.... except my parents don't like it when their cd's "disappear"
biggrin.gif

------------------
*~*?*~*~ Katie ~*~*?*~*
A honey child to a swarm of bees...

Take me to that other place...

All three of my kids love Mommy's crazy U2.

They pretend they're The Edge in their bubble bath...with bubble goatees.

"Are you Santa Clause?""No, I'm the Edge!"

almost 7,4 and 2. Favorite songs Elevation, Pride and Beautiful Day!

Oldest asked for (and received) a guitar for Christmas.

We watch the DVD while getting dinner ready.

Im so proud of them!

------------------
If your glass house should crack....POE

Hey,
Don't know whether i qualify here, but i'm only 18 and absolutly love U2, courtesy of my older brother (27) and my Dad, who first bought the Joshua Tree. This is the first music i can remember listening to, and I have become so engrossed in U2 over the past year or so my mates at uni think i'm mad!! But of course, i'm not, and enjoy every minute of it!

Originally posted by wildhoney22:
Just curious.... after what year would you have to be born to be considered the new U2 generation?

Ah, you're a veteran now.
wink.gif

They pretend they're The Edge in their bubble bath...with bubble goatees.
"Are you Santa Clause?""No, I'm the Edge!"
Awww, that's so cute drumkeeran!

critter, I wish my teenage nephews would follow my lead but no luck.
The laughed when they saw me on the VH-1 Boston pre-show.
They think I've gone nuts for U2!
biggrin.gif

Great stories everyone, keep them coming!

nica-- you can definitely include the boys in a cultural discussion of Irish music. [and I have to say it is so much fun when you can incorporate U2 in to a school project].

Well, lemme think. I'm really only the first U2 obsessed fan in the family, although my dad listens to them sometimes, he didn't own any albums. But my older cousin did (he turned me onto U2). Am I a first gen fan? Adn my younger brother and sis, who like U2 b/c of me, are they 1st gen fans or 2nd??

Family trees confuzzle me.

Here I am nicamom and her children, 30 years later and still researching Ireland. Fascinating place. Our municipal library is not that extensive, but it's latest aquisiton I've borrowed is "The Music, Songs and Instruments of Ireland" by Karen Farrington.If you come across it, check out Page 105, a pic of Bono at Bandaid I'd not seen before
eek.gif
leap of faith!!

My youngest had to choose an instrument and someone who played it to research when he was in Year 5. He choose guitar and Jimi Hendrix. I left him to it and was proud of his results. I'll never forget his opening line ( and the drawings
smile.gif
) "Jimi Hendrix was
a very exciting person..." Not perhaps as virtuous as U2, but it did lead to an opportunity to discuss the danger of drugs and the sad toll they extract from creative people.
Crikes, my NY resolution was to be concise in this place...hmmmmmm.There's always something here to relate to. It's all you guys fault, surely 'tis.
My nephew is in Dublin at the moment, wish I was
smile.gif
Put tour heart and soul into it nicamom's boy,"live and learn"(our local primary school motto) and dream out loud. Take your mom to Ireland some day eh?

I'm 17, but I only started listening to U2 a few years ago. You can blame Skeek for that one! My brother claims to hate them and says all sorts of things about them to try and bug me, but I've caught him singing along
smile.gif

I've listened to U2 since I was 9. Both MTV and my mom introduced me to them. I've poisoned my brother's mind as well. He breaks into U2 songs almost as much as I do. I baked lemon bars last week and we kept singing Lemon every time someone ate one! I am such a dork. LOL! ~Jen
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by JennyBean (edited 01-21-2002).]

Originally posted by sharky:
nica-- you can definitely include the boys in a cultural discussion of Irish music. [and I have to say it is so much fun when you can incorporate U2 in to a school project].
Thanks for the idea!
Cass, we're going to the library today, I'll look for that book, thanks for the tip.
Ireland is on Daniel's list of countries to visit, no way he's leaving me behind.
biggrin.gif

It's great to see how music connects a family, my parents and I never shared music taste, you guys are lucky.
smile.gif

--------------------------
She's got a baby
A baby at her breast

My baby is 5 today!!!
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom