Radiohead discuss the "madness" of static setlists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Excessive song rotation would also cut out many of the social and political messages in the shows (which some people might prefer). But in that case there would be no messages of Coexist, Journey of Equality, One Campaign (ok that one's a bit long), etc. I don't think U2 would want to sacrifice those messages just for setlist variation.

those messages are nothing more than standard u2 fodder anyway.

i wouldn't miss them. play the fucking music.

ntalwar said:
I think Radiohead need to look in the mirror first. They are playing in only 10 cities in North America versus over 30 cities for U2 in N.A. And the overall length of their current tour seems rather wimpy.

what a stupid thing to say. or maybe 7ust ignorant.

this is a warmup tour. the full tour is next year.

and their setlists are completely different from one night to the next, so why should they look in the mirror.

YOU go look in a mirror before i mirror your face.

Zoomerang96 said:
those messages are nothing more than standard u2 fodder anyway.

i wouldn't miss them. play the fucking music.

agreed , if anything it ruins the show , especially the 'One thing'

ntalwar said:
Excessive song rotation would also cut out many of the social and political messages in the shows (which some people might prefer). But in that case there would be no messages of Coexist, Journey of Equality, One Campaign (ok that one's a bit long), etc. I don't think U2 would want to sacrifice those messages just for setlist variation.

What? I totally don't buy that. With a catalogue as deep as U2's, there's multiple songs they could choose to convey a particular message. To use Vertigo's themes:

Early days: 21 songs to choose from on Boy and October, plus b-sides and unreleased material (hey, if they can play Party Girl, why not Touch or Cartoon World?).

War/violence: LAPOE, SBS, Bullet, NYD, Like A Song, Exit, God Part II, Please.

Social activism/Africa: Pride, Streets, One, MLK, In God's Country, RHMT, MOTD, Peace On Earth, WILATW, Crumbs, Miss Sarajevo, RTSS, Bad, Wire.

AB/Zoo: Twelve songs from Achtung, plus b-sides, and maybe even the Zooropa stuff could fit in.

If U2 drew from just that selection, they could have an incredibly varied setlist without sacrificing their message.

Bono never needed a song to start talking about politics, if you know what I mean :wink:

Well, here's a different proposal: what if U2 played a fixed setlist, and left a single loose spot for a surprise every night? That would be a very simple way to satisfy everyone...

Fan 1: Wow, I almost screamed my lungs out when the beat from "Sunday Bloody Sunday" began!
Fan 2: What? Sorry, I'm not paying attention... I can't believe they f***ing played "SHADOWS AND TALL TREES"!!!

Axver said:

What? I totally don't buy that. With a catalogue as deep as U2's, there's multiple songs they could choose to convey a particular message. To use Vertigo's themes:

Early days: 21 songs to choose from on Boy and October, plus b-sides and unreleased material (hey, if they can play Party Girl, why not Touch or Cartoon World?).

War/violence: LAPOE, SBS, Bullet, NYD, Like A Song, Exit, God Part II, Please.

Social activism/Africa: Pride, Streets, One, MLK, In God's Country, RHMT, MOTD, Peace On Earth, WILATW, Crumbs, Miss Sarajevo, RTSS, Bad, Wire.

AB/Zoo: Twelve songs from Achtung, plus b-sides, and maybe even the Zooropa stuff could fit in.

If U2 drew from just that selection, they could have an incredibly varied setlist without sacrificing their message.

Excellent point :up:

U2 din't change their setlists much because they din't want it, ignoring their loyal fan base. Simply as that, there's nothing you could say to defend that extremely selfish and lazy attitude. It's the easiest way to go on tour, I mean, to have a bunch of songs and playing them night after night.

When they set four or five nights at some venue, how come they don't surprise the fans more?. I mean, five nights listening to the same old obligatory numbers?, that's pretty tiring and dissapointing :(

Axver said:

Yeah - but I still think speeches attached to too many songs is bad.
The flags fit Streets, the One Campaign speech obviously fits One,
and they want SBS to be the song for the "next generation" (or something like that).
Bono already has trouble remembering lyrics. I think rotating 6 speeches would only add to that.
And U2 can sell out with just locals - they don't need to impress people from other U2 stops or other nights.
There are already too few tickets as it is. I see it as similar to a circus show - if people want to go multiple nights they can.
Just don't expect much difference from the night before.

Last edited:
ntalwar said:

Yeah - but I still think speeches attached to too many songs is bad.
The flags fit Streets, the One Campaign speech obviously fits One

Oh, yeah, I'm not necessarily advocating dumping any kind of setlist plan and not repeating a single song from the night before (though that WOULD be cool!). Though I think there's no defending the long One speeches - I think Bono makes his point far more effectively and influences more people when he keeps it short, succinct and to the point (less than 3 sentences).

and they want SBS to be the song for the "next generation" (or something like that).

Whatever that means. What a change from the band who didn't think they could top the RAH performance of SBS and stopped performing it.

Bono already has trouble remembering lyrics.

Which I think is frankly a disgrace. I know of no other lead singer with such a poor knowledge of lyrics he wrote himself. Even the bands I like who have fairly static setlists can, on a whim or a request, pull out something they haven't touched in a while and either nail the lyrics or get close. Really, if it's your own lyrics and one of your biggest hits, you shouldn't have trouble remembering it like Bono has with songs like Angel Of Harlem and The Fly.

Just don't expect much difference from the night before.

See, when I see a band, I do expect something different (even if I'm seeing them just once and I'm only a casual fan). To me, rock and roll is not a Broadway production or a movie. It's an unpredictable, spontaneous, exciting event where there's electricity in the air and anything can happen. I don't want to see a band who's just going to stroll out and play same old, same old. I want to see a band who'll lay things on the line, take some risks, and keep you guessing. That's what a rock gig is meant to be all about.

LemonMelon said:

You forgot Mothers Of The Disappeared. :wink:

:huh: Am I missing sarcasm? Because I did remember it:

Axver said:

See? :wink:

ponkine said:
U2 din't change their setlists much because they din't want it, ignoring their loyal fan base. Simply as that, there's nothing you could say to defend that extremely selfish and lazy attitude. It's the easiest way to go on tour, I mean, to have a bunch of songs and playing them night after night.

Yeah, the way I see it, the main defence for static sets relates to casual fans who only see one show. Frankly, I think they're who a band should be least concerned with. Those casual fans may drop off if the next album doesn't have a hit to grab their attention when they're surfing through radio channels. I think a band should, first and foremost, focus on its loyal fans, the people who will buy anything, always see the band live, and support the band no matter what. The kind of people who actually have faith in what the band is doing and find meaning the band's work, not a casual fan who just thinks "oh, Beautiful Day's fun to sing to, maybe I'll buy a Best Of and check out a gig". I'm not trying to be elitist here - when I see a band I'm only a casual fan of, I like to see them give nods to their loyal fans because they're the people who I think matter the most. I just enjoy the music; the loyal fan has a far stronger attachment to the band.

Axver said:

Yeah, the way I see it, the main defence for static sets relates to casual fans who only see one show. Frankly, I think they're who a band should be least concerned with. Those casual fans may drop off if the next album doesn't have a hit to grab their attention when they're surfing through radio channels. I think a band should, first and foremost, focus on its loyal fans, the people who will buy anything, always see the band live, and support the band no matter what.

I think the original Radiohead reason was:
"Her musicians literally went mad". There was no mention of the fans.

We may disagree on this. But I believe that if U2 are playing to 4 million people on a tour, they would prefer that those be 4 million unique fans. Some bands would love fans to follow them around -it varies by band. I think U2's loyal fan base is larger than most big bands' total fan base. I literally saw grown men without tickets on the verge of tears outside of arenas, begging for tickets. And most of the U2's money is made from touring. Even with a mediocre album, they know they can sell out a tour with high ticket prices this decade.

Last edited:
I think U2 Girl summed it up best. Apples and Oranges. Comparing U2 to Dream Theater and Radiohead is just that. In fact its more like Apples to peanuts. :laugh:

U2 and their crew have explained why they do the setlists they way they do numerous times. Its the same arguments every single time here. We are the diehards and certainly we would love for them to mix it up and pull out something completely obscure. For most of us its because we are going to so many shows. Its kind of greedy when you really think about it. We have seen them play X song so many times, we want something different. What about that new U2 fan that has never seen them before that WANTS to hear Streets, NY Day, Pride, etc.. and would be disappointed if they skipped them? They dont matter, we are the DIEHARDS! :laugh:

Of course then U2 DOES make an effort to mix it up some by pulling some more obscure songs. IE: The First Time and Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses as an encore. Then there are those here that rip on them for doing that, because, of course, its not the songs THEY wanted them to do. Its a no win for U2 regardless of what they do and these threads go round and round with no point.

U2 are not changing the way they do things, they have done this for over 20 years and seem to be pretty successful at it. They have NEVER been a band that has been about mixing up their setlists drastically. Why does everyone expect them to start now?

Vertigo
I Will Follow
Elevation
All Because Of You
New Year's Day
Miracle Drug
Beautiful Day
Crumbs From Your Table
All I Want Is You
City Of Blinding Lights
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Kite
Fast Cars
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Love Is Blindness
Where The Streets Have No Name
Gloria

MOFO
Discotheque / If You Were That Velvet Dress
Electrical Storm
One

Party Girl
Yahweh
Walk On

ntalwar said:

I think the original Radiohead reason was:
"Her musicians literally went mad". There was no mention of the fans.

Yeah, I said the "main defence" in general, not what started this thread. But now that you bring it up, I don't know how someone could play the same set for a whole tour and not go crazy.

We may disagree on this. But I believe that if U2 are playing to 4 million people on a tour, they would prefer that those be 4 million unique fans.

OK, but what's that got to do with anything? I'm arguing there should be setlist variety even if no person goes to more than one show.

Really, look at it this way. When U2 come to Australia, there are fans who'll see just one show, just like they saw one Popmart and one ZooTV show. They've already heard UTEOTW, NYD, WOWY, Mysterious Ways, One, Bullet, and all that. Why not play them something they've never heard before instead of the usual standards? Why not treat them to In God's Country, Van Diemen's Land, 11 O'clock Tick Tock, WGRYWH, Exit, etc.?

Axver said:

Really, look at it this way. When U2 come to Australia, there are fans who'll see just one show, just like they saw one Popmart and one ZooTV show. They've already heard UTEOTW, NYD, WOWY, Mysterious Ways, One, Bullet, and all that. Why not play them something they've never heard before instead of the usual standards? Why not treat them to In God's Country, Van Diemen's Land, 11 O'clock Tick Tock, WGRYWH, Exit, etc.?

Because that was 9 years ago. ALOT of the people that attended Popmart wont be at the Vertigo shows. 3 of those songs you listed U2 werent even playing every night on Vertigo either.

After all 2 tours before Popmart they played Van Diemans Land, why bring that back? People have heard that already in Australia. :wink: :laugh:

Radiohead setlist:

01) 2+2=5
02) Airbag
03) Paranoid Android
04) My Iron Lung
05) Where I End And You Begin
06) Creep
07) Like Spinning Plates
08) Sail To The Moon
09) I Might Be Wrong
10) Morning Bell
11) Talk Show Host
12) Sit Down, Stand Up
13) Go To Sleep
14) There There

15) Planet Telex
16) A Punch Up At A Wedding
17) No Suprises
18) Fake Plastic Trees

19) Bulletproof (I Wish I Was)
20) Karma Police
21) Nice Dream

LemonMacPhisto said:
I think I'll make a Coldplay setlist next, to round it out.

Make sure you include a cover of that Coldplay-esque hit U2 had last year, Fix You or whatever it's called. :wink:

Radiohead avoids playing material from Pablo Honey, much as U2 avoids playing POP material...

theu2fly said:
Radiohead setlist:

01) 2+2=5
02) Airbag
03) Paranoid Android
04) My Iron Lung
05) Where I End And You Begin
06) Creep
07) Like Spinning Plates
08) Sail To The Moon
09) I Might Be Wrong
10) Morning Bell
11) Talk Show Host
12) Sit Down, Stand Up
13) Go To Sleep
14) There There

15) Planet Telex
16) A Punch Up At A Wedding
17) No Suprises
18) Fake Plastic Trees

19) Bulletproof (I Wish I Was)
20) Karma Police
21) Nice Dream

Everythiiiiiiinngggg...........................

Okay...I'll bite:

1. There There
2. 2+2=5
3. Sit Down. Stand Up.
4. Lucky
5. Where I End and You Begin
6. The Gloaming
7. Packt Like Sardines in a Crushed Tin Box
8. Fake Plastic Trees
9. Go to Sleep
10. No Surprises
11. National Anthem
12. I Might Be Wrong
13. My Iron Lung
14. Climbing Up the Walls
15. Exit Music (for a film)
16. Paranoid Android
17. Idioteque

18 Aigbag or Planet Telex
19 Knives Out
20 Just
21 Street Spirit or How to Disappear Completely

22 Karma Police
23 Everything In Its Right Place

if radiohead can do this, anyone can.

http://www.lders.nl/

compare night to night. nothing is sacred. not paranoid android, idioteque, there there - nothing. i think there was a show recently where they played none of those.

rem's another good example.

Rotating setlists my ass.

Listen, I appreciate that a lot of people who have careers or the money can save up for several non-tour years to attend a marathon string of eight shows in several states/provinces.

You make up about 5% of the audience.

I considered myself lucky enough to attend ONE Vertigo show, considering how hard tickets were to get, and I only got to get GA tickets by chance and a very lovely, friendly person from one of the mailing lists.

What I'm getting at is.... don't complain about the frigging U2 setlists. They're there so that Little Miss WOWY can hear the song she danced to at her prom, Mr. Pride Oldypants can listen to the tired rendition of his favourite song, and I can hear Until the End of the World live.

Just about anything live that seems spontanious is planned to look so, and there is no Santa Claus.

That is all.

the last U2 show I went to someone almost passed out due to excitement because the band played New Years Day

I wouldn't mind if the band played something different (though I tend to think that whenever the band decided to play something out of the ordinary it sounds crappy compared to the rest of the show), but I would be very surprised if a band like U2 (and comparing U2 to Radiohead and the like is indeed absurd) would make setlists having hardcore fans in mind

theu2fly said:
Radiohead avoids playing material from Pablo Honey, much as U2 avoids playing POP material...

That's because Pablo Honey sucks with the exception of Creep and Stop Whispering.

Pop is a great record, one of my favorites, but the way some people defend it on here like their first-born child is ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom