Radiohead best band...Who the fuck are the add-wizzards that came up with this one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gherman

New Yorker
Their last two albums were aclaimed? The only thing those 2 peices of shit can claim is the fact they suck! Well... their OK(maybe if your Prozac stopped working and you feel you need something that will bore yourself to death). The people in UK probably haven't seen the light of day for the past to years because they must have had thier head up their asses!

Jesus Christ!

Sorry, I just needed to get that off my chest.

yes thank you for pointing that out. americans are sooooo much superior when it comes to music, and we must let the world know that. i mean, what other nation can generate yearly britney spears albums, yearly n'sync albums, while still having such brilliant musicians as j-ho and p diddy reigning supreme? yes, we must applaud the american music industry for what it is: a true gem in a world of bad music.

mad.gif

------------------
~whortense wiffin
walla walla, washington

Originally posted by Whortense:
i mean, what other nation can generate yearly britney spears albums, yearly n'sync albums, while still having such brilliant musicians as j-ho and p diddy reigning supreme

mad.gif

The UK did give us The Spice Girls and Take That. Oh, and I forgot Kylie Minogue.

~ME 3

[This message has been edited by U2ME3 (edited 10-29-2001).]

Originally posted by gherman:
The people in UK probably haven't seen the light of day for the past to years because they must have had thier head up their asses!
Jesus Christ!
B]

I think that's a little harsh. Radiohead is a great band!

~ME 3

------------------
ice age coming
ice age coming

They shouldnt have beat U2, I'll say that much. But... they are not pieces of shit.

radiohead.jpg

20010809161204.jpg

radiohead.JPG

------------------
Rats and children follow me out of town

We got all the best music covered along with Ireland....

Radiohead were voted by the readers of Q,and the editor of Q gave U2 a special award in recognition of their blistering talent and contribution to the music scene internationally.
I think that evens the score a little.

Originally posted by gherman:
Hey Whoretense I go to UofM. What program you in?

i go to michigan state actually, the better of the two schools. i'm into web design and video production, amongst various artistic endeavors, all of which u of m lacked. of course, if i wanted to get into boring professions, i surely would have picked u of m, if it's any consolation.
mad.gif

*whortense is being a supreme cutlas tonite, that's for sure
icon28.gif

------------------
~whortense wiffin
walla walla, washington

That's pretty fuckin' cool! My best friend is going to State. It's good school and I'll be there this weekend to do a little drinkin'. I'll give you guys credit on one thing, you shure can live it up on weekends. You have to stay in touch through Interference so we persue this heated "Rivalry."

Radiohead are a great band but they've definetly entered their Pearl Jam post Vitalogy phase. A great band that releases mediocre albums but still sounds great live.

MAP

In my opinion Radiohead used to be a fine band, but over the years I have felt that their music has just become wierd noises with warbling Thom Yorke vocals, but hey this is just my opinion, and it is as if they have this very, very cool musician personal about themselves, they to me , seem very 'too cool for school' anyway I just dont get em anymore and truly dont understand what the big fascination is with them- for me they lost it after the Bends
smile.gif

I don't know why people are so quick to dismiss Radiohead after "OK Computer." To me, this sounds like a case just like when 80s U2 fans came in to crash U2's party starting with "Achtung Baby." Radiohead is probably bigger than ever, only hampered by the fact that they really didn't want to promote nor tour for "Kid A" or "Amnesiac." Yet, both still sold solidly.

Personally, I found their stuff before "Kid A" to be boring and overdone--yet another whiny Brit-rock/pop band consigned to fall apart after a handful of overhyped albums. Can anyone say "The Verve" or "Mansun"? "Kid A" has completely allowed "Radiohead" to come into their own and redefine music on their own terms, and truly become revolutionaries in a dying music industry.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

I once did a video montage using Wesley Willis' "Cut the Mullet." Then, most recently, I used Wesley Willis' "I Whupped Batman's Ass," not to mention images of his head, for a "Space Invaders" clone. Always the bulwark of creativity Wesley is...

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Radiohead's great, but U2's got them beat by a long shot.
They have soul, Radiohead just has gadgets IMO.

Can't win em all.

------------------
In an interview with BP Fallon:
BP: What do you do if you have the blues?
LARRY: Sing.
BP: What gives you the blues?
LARRY: Singing.

-April
(AIM-POPLemonGirl)

i believe that kylie minogue is from australia, correct me if i'm wrong. she's a nobody in america, so i don't catch up on her shit.

------------------
~whortense wiffin
walla walla, washington

Actually I'm from Canada not the States. I just rip on the UK because I think the monarchy is a krock of shit, but the music over there is better than in the states.

heh....going to university of michigan, my archnemesis, in the meantime perhaps?

the monarchy is pretty useless. has no power, but still gets a tax base, correct me if i'm wrong.

------------------
~whortense wiffin
walla walla, washington

'Oy! You knock the UK one more time I'm gonna paste ya to yer hen's head. Our music ain't fookin depressing, by which I mean the sounds we make in OASIS. Don't know and don't care if you find the other stuff depressing. Maybe yer mum gave you fookin uppers and made you dance around naked as a kid or something like that. Geez, get a grip.

------------------
Reporter: Can you sum up Oasis in one word?
Me: ME!

i believe that kylie minogue is from australia, correct me if i'm wrong. she's a nobody in america, so i don't catch up on her shit.

sorry. i belive your right. *puts in new mariah carey cd*

Originally posted by MysteryGirl:
Bottoms-up!!!

Where did Radiohead beat U2? If you mean the AOL poll, U2 wpn at 75%. Radiohead was 12%.

Press Association
October 29, 2001

Radiohead Voted 'Best Act In World'
Martin Evans

All conquering band Radiohead received more plaudits today when they
were named Best Act In The World Today at a prestigious music awards
ceremony.

The Oxford-based band, one of the few British outfits of recent years
to score huge success on both sides of the Atlantic, collected the title
at the Q Awards held in central London.

The quality of the other nominated bands - which included Irish legends
U2, American superstars REM, Welsh bands Manic Street Preachers and
Stereophonics and Scottish outfit Travis - underlined the significance
of the achievement. Held annually, the Q awards are voted for by readers
of the music magazine and are well respected within the industry.

Last year's ceremony was most memorable for a bust up between Oasis
singer Liam Gallagher and Robbie Williams who stormed out of the
ceremony.

Other winners at this year's show, held at the Park Lane Hotel in
central London, included Ash, whose single Burn Baby Burn was named Best
Single, and Scots quartet Travis who added the Best Album title to best
single gong they collected last year.

Manic Street Preachers, who performed a series of concerts in Cuba
earlier in the year, were named Best Live Act while the Best Newcomer
Award went to Lancashire lads Starsailor.

Gorillaz, the cartoon band formed by former Blur frontman Damon Albarn
and illustrator Jamie Hewlett, beat competition from DJ Fatboy Slim to
collect the award for Best Video for their track Clint Eastwood.

Former Sex Pistol and Punk icon John Lydon got this year's Inspiration
Award which honours artists who have left their mark on the industry and
influenced the direction of today's music scene.

As singer Johnny Rotten, he and the rest of the Sex Pistols created
waves in industry with seminal tracks such as Anarchy In The UK and God
Save The Queen.

Brian Eno, founding member of Roxy Music, turned ambient guru, was
recognised with this year's Special Award while seventies star Kate Bush
collected the Classic Songwriter title.

While U2 were nominated in three categories but failed to collect an
award, they were honoured with the Q Editor's choice title, for their
consistent success.

The full list of winners was:

Best Single - Burn Baby Burn, Ash

Best Album - The Invisible Band, Travis

Best Live Act - Manic Street Preachers

Best Video - Clint Eastwood, Gorillaz

Best Act In The World Today - Radiohead

Best New Act - Starsailor

Best Producer - Nigel Godrich

Q Classic Songwriter - Kate Bush

Special Award - Brian Eno

Q Merit Award - Elvis Costello

Inspiration - John Lydon

Q Editors Choice - U2

------------------
Remember the goul.

Shake n' bake
Do whatever it takes

i go to michigan state actually, the better of the two schools.

I know a girl at MS on an athletic scholarship. The most tedious individual known to humankind. I think she's studying gym or something.

Radiohead will always be an 'alternative' band, which is the term used these days to name bands which make music so screwed up that no one gets it.

Originally posted by U2@NYC:
Radiohead will always be an 'alternative' band, which is the term used these days to name bands which make music so screwed up that no one gets it.

Come on, millions of fans has to prove that lots are getting it. I'd say that Radiohead pushed past the old style of "alternative", with all the groups like Pearl Jam et al when they recorded KidA and Amnesiac. I'd say it goes out of the boundaries of popular music, but there's a lot of depth in its experimentation that people enjoy listening to. I've seen it played in concert and it comes across very powerfully.

I think I disagree that they beat out U2 though. There's a synergy in U2 that is lacking in Radiohead; they haven't produced enough different material to show they can outclass hits like Pride, Streets, One, etc.

I wonder how U2 feels, since they have been emphasizing the "best band in the world" job thing this past year, and also been criticizing Radiohead for not stepping up to the plate. Funny now they are put right in the number one spot anyway. (Wonder what Thom and co are thinking). Fine state of affairs Q magazine has created. What do critics know.

one last little note: gherman, I know you're upset, but could you please not take the Lord's name in vain? Thanks!

Originally posted by U2@NYC:

Radiohead's music connects with me in a very real way. It is different from the majority of music that's out there right now, and I think it can only be viewed as being "screwed up" or "weird" relative to that other music. I honestly have never thought of their music as being screwed up, but I have often thought of it as being something new and refreshing. For me, there is an integrity and consistency at the heart of the music that's every bit as strong as anything by any of my other favorite bands.
I think they feel a need to be adventurous with their music, but that it only adds to, and is in fact a part of, the emotions they need to express and is not just experimentation for its own sake.
I hope they always continue to be an alternative to the regurgitated music that makes up most of the mainstream and that we are comfortable with.

I sometimes feel like 90% of the music on the radio represents a city that has stopped expanding. It just builds on itself and feeds on its own waste. It's afraid to leave the security of its self-imposed boundaries. Some artists feel the need to take forays out into the unkown, beyond the accepted structure that almost everyone else is content to work within. I can't thank Radiohead enough for being one of those alternative bands.

I am so uptight.. :p

[This message has been edited by travu2 (edited 10-31-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom