Radiohead best band...Who the fuck are the add-wizzards that came up with this one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by melon:
Personally, I found their stuff before "Kid A" to be boring and overdone--yet another whiny Brit-rock/pop band consigned to fall apart after a handful of overhyped albums. Can anyone say "The Verve" or "Mansun"?

Melon

The Verve were a quality act...

Personally I really enjoy ok computer, and amnesiac is also a very good album- but not a rock album, i prefer to term it twisted jazz
biggrin.gif

I havent got Kid A, but from what ive heard it doesnt really ever try to provide sounds that are pleasing to the ears...

Originally posted by U2ME3:
that is great!!!!

how 'bout this?
drink.gif

~ME 3

Bottoms-up!!!

Where did Radiohead beat U2? If you mean the AOL poll, U2 wpn at 75%. Radiohead was 12%.

------------------
"You're dangerous...'cause you're honest"

Originally posted by U2@NYC:
Radiohead will always be an 'alternative' band, which is the term used these days to name bands which make music so screwed up that no one gets it.

Point in case being Zooropa. That album won a Grammy for Best Alternative Album. And it didn't sell that well as nobody got it.

Originally posted by DebbieSG:
Fine state of affairs Q magazine has created. What do critics know.

Not much, I agree with you on that rhetorical question. But then again, the critics did not pick Radiohead as Best Act In The World Today, the fans did. Voting was open to all readers of the magazine and visitors of the, publicly available, web-site. In short, WE didn't vote enough for U2 so WE didn't make them Best Act In The World Today/Best Live Act/having the Best Album. Why criticize Q and their critics when WE had the power to award them?

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

fugazi is the best band in the world.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Fugazi? Help!! I'm caught in a time warp!! It's 1991 again!! Save me!! Actually a lot of good music is going to be released in the next two and a half years. Save me when it's 1994.
Mostly kidding. Fugazi are pretty cool but this just goes to show how fleeting the alterna-darling label can be. Nobody talks about Ian and co anymore and if Thom and co don't get their act together soon they'll suffer the same fate.

BTW, Kid A and Amnesiac don't sound "weird" to these ears. They sound dull. There are a few moments on both records when what is wonderful about Radiohead shines through but there aren't nearly enough such moments to justify the hype. From what I can tell a lot of people who haven't listened to very much music hear Kid A and think that sort of thing has never been done before. It has, and it has been done better.

MAP

Celebrity weirdness mud rasslin:

Radiohead vs Bjork

Geez, that woman is weird.

------------------
~*Mona*~ the Shamrock n rolla!

"Most of our organization is run by women. We sort of work for them, really!" ~BonoBaby~

We live forwards. We understand backwards.

TURN EACH SONG INTO A PRAYER

Melon wrote:

yet another whiny Brit-rock/pop band consigned to fall apart after a handful of overhyped albums. Can anyone say "The Verve" or "Mansun"?

aside from the very rough generalization about UK rock pop acts, you also confound me with labelling Urban Hymes and A Northern Soul overhyped, A Northern Soul was far from hyped, it was pretty much a quiet affair, and Urban Hymes is a fine peice of work..yes, The Verve did fall apart but for most people they went with a bang and not a fizzle

Radiohead is U2's doppelganger. They're both just as good, just as inspired and inspiring. The difference is one is Dark, the other is Light. One is trippy melancholy, the other is spirituality. Radiohead just lacks the finesse that U2 has. I would say that Radiohead is very much an 'anti-' band while U2 is 'pro-stuff'. They are very much like twins (kids A, haha, lame joke).

A few good words about R'head: they sure do inspire me in my everyday life and art. I find Stanley Donwood's and Thom's doodles as moving as a Mark Rothko painting. I think Kid A is a fantastic album top to bottom*. Why? - mostly because it is cohesive and its themes are well brought out in the music and lyrics. Forget about how R'head were pushing the envelope with regards to this album; other people did this sort of shit already, say, Aphex Twin. The true achievement of Kid A lies in the reasons stated above.

foray

*I'm not as enthusiastic about Amnesiac.

Originally posted by Popmartijn:
Not much, I agree with you on that rhetorical question. But then again, the critics did not pick Radiohead as Best Act In The World Today, the fans did. Voting was open to all readers of the magazine and visitors of the, publicly available, web-site. In short, WE didn't vote enough for U2 so WE didn't make them Best Act In The World Today/Best Live Act/having the Best Album. Why criticize Q and their critics when WE had the power to award them?

C ya!

Marty

Thanks for the clarification, Marty, I didnt' know that was open to the public! Seems to be a difference in crowds' preference at AOL as compared to at the Q site. I would venture to say that AOL reaches a more "worldwide" audience than Q, but maybe they are more musically savvy. We fans could have voted more, but so could have Q readers. Who is their readership, anyway? Isn't is a younger crowd?

Originally posted by foray:
Why? - mostly because it is cohesive and its themes are well brought out in the music and lyrics. Forget about how R'head were pushing the envelope with regards to this album; other people did this sort of shit already, say, Aphex Twin. The true achievement of Kid A lies in the reasons stated above.
are you saying that Aphex Twin's albums aren't cohesive?

no track on "Selected Ambient Vol. 1" could have been on "Richard D. James Album" and no track on "Classics" could have been on "I Care, Because You Do"

in conclusion:
Aphex Twin albums
--> cohesive: yes
--> Thom York lyrics: no (but I don't miss them)

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000:
Fugazi? Help!! I'm caught in a time warp!! It's 1991 again!! Save me!! Actually a lot of good music is going to be released in the next two and a half years. Save me when it's 1994.
Mostly kidding. Fugazi are pretty cool but this just goes to show how fleeting the alterna-darling label can be. Nobody talks about Ian and co anymore and if Thom and co don't get their act together soon they'll suffer the same fate.

i have been a fan of fugazi since 1993. since in on the kill taker i guess. the new album that came out a week ago "the argument" is just mind blowing good.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

oh yeah, fugazi never cared for media attention, or any attention in general, if no body talks about them anymore, thats why they release their albums on their own labels, charge only 6 dollars for their shows, and release their cds for only 9 dollars. fugazi still have a huge following. really huge. their new album debuted at #1 on billboards heatseakers chart.

------------------

AOL subscribers can only vote once. I confess, I tried to vote more than once, but it wouldn't let me.

As for that definition of alternative music...I've been describing "alternative" music as that which would probably be on top-40 radio if hip-hop and rap didn't exist!

------------------
"You're dangerous...'cause you're honest"

Originally posted by Salome:
Why? - mostly because it is cohesive and its themes are well brought out in the music and lyrics. Forget about how R'head were pushing the envelope with regards to this album; other people did this sort of shit already, say, Aphex Twin. The true achievement of Kid A lies in the reasons stated above.
are you saying that Aphex Twin's albums aren't cohesive?

no track on "Selected Ambient Vol. 1" could have been on "Richard D. James Album" and no track on "Classics" could have been on "I Care, Because You Do"

in conclusion:
Aphex Twin albums
--> cohesive: yes
--> Thom York lyrics: no (but I don't miss them)

Nooo, I wasn't doing a radiohead/aphextwin comparison at all. My point was that: many people keep saying that kid a is great because it pushes the envelope, but I'm saying that I don't see this as kid a's triumph because other people have done this kind of music before, eg. Aphex Twin.

Btw, I don't think it's fair to compare AT's music to only Thom's lyrics. R'head's overall music should come into question as well. Say, what do you think of AT's latest record?

foray

because other people have done this kind of music before, eg. Aphex Twin.
foray

I disagree. You can definitely see the influence of artists like Aphex Twin, but all of Radiohead's music (with the exception of Pablo Honey) stands on its own. The songs of course are the result of past influences on the members of the band, but they don't rely on musical ideas by any specific artists who have made an album like "Kid A" before; they aren't using something someone has done before as a crutch. Your statement would definitely apply to a group like n'sync, but not to a band as creatively driven as Radiohead.

I do agree that pushing the envelope should not be the only reason "Kid A" and "OK Computer" are admired by so many people when there are other overlooked artists doing equally amazing things, but I think it does go hand-in-hand with that cohesiveness you mentioned, and should not just be dismissed.

[This message has been edited by travu2 (edited 11-01-2001).]

Btw, I don't think it's fair to compare AT's music to only Thom's lyrics. R'head's overall music should come into question as well.
true, but it speaks for itself that Aphex Twin by far surpasses Radiohead musically
tongue.gif

Say, what do you think of AT's latest record?[/B]
since I can't find it in the stores I will have to order it SOON!!!

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 11-01-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom