R.I.P John Peel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

Refugee
A very sad day for music, John Peel died last night.

For those of you outside the UK, BBC Radio 1 DJ John Peel was a legend. Many of the great bands old and new would not exist if it wasn't for John Peel, his warmth and commitment to great music was second to none.

John Peel was the vehicle that took alterative, underground great music and bought it the ears of millions of people, including a young U2 listening tuning into their transistor radios in Ireland.

Earlier today Radio 1 played John's favourite song, The Undertones 'Teenage Kicks'. I had to play it in my car as loud as I could without blowing the speakers. It bought a lump to my throat. They followed the song with 'Vertigo', which not only stood up next to the greatness of 'Teenage Kicks' but sounded incredible. Even though I've heard Vertigo dozens of times, tonight it sounded like nothing else..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/

I listen to his shows..
I just wish there were more radio Djs like him.

I'd never really heard John Peel, since I live in the States, but I've been reading about him in the music press for close to 30 years now. And recently, I was reading an issue of Q, and it brought up "Teenage Kicks"...and how that was the song that would be played at Peel's funeral.

He sounds like he really championed new, fresh music.

I never heard of him until now since I live in the U.S., but it sounds like he did a tremendous service in promoting some great, groundbreaking music that wasn't getting much exposure otherwise. I wish there were more DJs like him today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom