R.I.P. 1990-2000

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Screwtape2 said:
:sigh: When creativity was the goal...not soul.

That's actually a great summation...

Not that I find it entirely true. I think there were very soulful moments in the 90's and very souless moments in the 00's, and vice versa.

But I think it gets at the core of the motivations...

the only thing about the 90-00's complilation was the history mix.

favorite quote:
bono; "there's alot off music you can't play when you have a guy that looks like edge in your band."

larry; "i think i look cool. don't know bout the other 3, but i looked cool. i am cool."

kingofsorrow said:
the only thing about the 90-00's complilation was the history mix.

favorite quote:
bono; "there's alot off music you can't play when you have a guy that looks like edge in your band."

larry; "i think i look cool. don't know bout the other 3, but i looked cool. i am cool."

And the 25+ music videos that aren't terrible. :up:

I can barely watch an '80s U2 vid, save I Still Haven't Found..., Pride, Desire, and The Unforgettable Fire (maybe one of the funniest videos ever)

kingofsorrow said:

i was refering to the cd comp. not the video comp. the history mix DVD came with the 2-cd set.

Oh, okay. I have both and keep the DVD in the 90-00 DVD case.

Screwtape2 said:
:sigh: When creativity was the goal...not soul.

More like when creativity was the goal....not money....not being radio friendly mass consumer market acceptable

toscano said:

More like when creativity was the goal....not money....not being radio friendly mass consumer market acceptable

U2 has always been about money and creating music they like. It IS a business and it always has been. They just got to a point in the 90's where they had so much money they could do what they pleased and felt like they wanted to try some new things. They thought they would still be all over the radio and the biggest band at that point. I think they still can and were to a certain degree, but they like being one the biggest bands also. They are human beings. Its easy for us to judge when we are not in the situation or anywhere near the situation. I think they have done a pretty good job though of staying creative even when they became huge in 1987. I dont think there many if any fans that were presented with the same situation would have done much differently. But its easy to sit back and be arm chair artists on the internet and point out what you dont like about what they do. :shrug:

I liked this era of U2. I experienced it first hand. Its funny, but alot of the people that look back and say how great that was are people that didnt even experience it. I see that with the Zoo TV comments. Yeah, it was great, but it had drawbacks also. I think people get on these nostalgia trips when they didnt experience it because they want to now.

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:

I think I was a big 5 months old.

By counting on my fingers, I've determined I was 10 months old at the time.

I loved the tours, not a big fan of the albums.

phillyfan26 said:
I was almost a year old when Achtung Baby came out. :happy:

I was 15 yrs. old, but was too busy listening to Bon Jovi to care about a no hairspray and spandex band like U2. :crack:

KhanadaRhodes said:

don't feel bad, i still remember asking for achtung baby on cassette for christmas of 91.

so i believe that makes me better than you :wink:

:up:

I have fond memories of buying the cassette at the record store at the mall and listening to it on my yellow Sony Walkman (the ipod of the late 80's - early 90's :drool: ) on the ride home...

I think Achtung and Zooropa were part of their creative re-birth, obviously following the Rattle and Hum sellout accusations. In some ways I miss that creativity but who can fault what supposedly 'playing it safe' has brought. Beautiful Day, Fast Cars, Vertigo, SYCMIOYO, anyone?

And the Elevation and Vertigo tours were for me better than ZOO TV and Popmart because they were more connected with the audience.

Back
Top Bottom