Quick zoo question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J_NP

New Yorker
Yeah I'm a winner in number of zoo questions , people a quick one , help understand some things . I heard there was a Fox special of Zootv in the Outside Broadcast leg , tell me again please what was the concert ? Is this Special the same Thanksgiving Zootv special ?

Other I'm finding now more and more videos proshot of a so talked ZooTV DC concert , also from OB leg , was this shown on TV ? I'm watching now a amazing perf of UV , after Bono makes a call to the white house.

That video of Until live in best of 90s , was it taken from u2 archives or was shown before ?

Finally last question , that snippet of Desire in same dvd , from again OB leg , was it from the Fox special ?

1. Yep, the Fox special was shown around Thanksgiving 1992. Most of the material came from Houston IIRC.

2. No, the ZOOTV DC show was never screened on TV I don't think... In fact I have no idea why this was filmed. Not the best show by a long shot.

3. The "Until" live video was from Yankee Stadium (possibly Giants Stadium) in New York. I do remember seeing it on some music channels before the Best of DVD came out, so no, it wasn't "new" footage.

4. Yeah, that was from the Outside Broadcast special.

T

If it's the DC show I was listening/seeing I kinda don't understand why people here find it so boring , I mean sure I've only seen 1 song so far , but one thing it's probably the best versionf of Ultraviolet I've seen/listen so far , just mind-blowing .

It's not that I find it boring, in fact the way it's shot I have no problem with at all. It's just that the band were having an off night and it's a shame that a better show couldn't have leaked out.

Boring?!? What are you talking about?? that version of Ultra Violet is Amazing!!

that second chorus just takes flight and takes my socks with it!!!

is the rest of this gig available anywhere??

junkydog said:
Boring?!? What are you talking about?? that version of Ultra Violet is Amazing!!

that second chorus just takes flight and takes my socks with it!!!

That's what I'm talkin 'bout ,´a lot of people say the best version of UV is from Dublin , myself I prefer this one , so much passion and the electricity of it , it's a shame coz u hear something like this then u go the album version and have no choice but think it's slow and sad after u hear it live , anyway if the rest of the concert was like this , it could've only been a hell of a show

And Yes mate there's a pro shot dvd of this show.

Edit.: Did I say that the explorer is just :drool: :drool: :drool: Edge rocking UV with it :drool: These days is probably my best Exp song

Last edited:
tommycharles said:
It's not that I find it boring, in fact the way it's shot I have no problem with at all. It's just that the band were having an off night and it's a shame that a better show couldn't have leaked out.

I think the direction is terrible and add to that the band's seemed indifference and we get a poor visual show, but a decent audio one.

In other words, the audio bootleg sounds like a very good concert whereas the video of the performance leaves me cold.

tommycharles said:
1. Yep, the Fox special was shown around Thanksgiving 1992. Most of the material came from Houston IIRC.

2. No, the ZOOTV DC show was never screened on TV I don't think... In fact I have no idea why this was filmed. Not the best show by a long shot.

3. The "Until" live video was from Yankee Stadium (possibly Giants Stadium) in New York. I do remember seeing it on some music channels before the Best of DVD came out, so no, it wasn't "new" footage.

T

Are you sure the Fox Special was the Houston show? I had always heard it was mainly shot at the Yankee stadium shows. I havent looked at it recently so I dont recall for sure. Will be clear though on the Mirror ball man part which show its from as the interviewer guy goes out on stage at that point. I will have to check my bootlegs of both when I get home and see. Now the Outside Broadcast Radio show was primarily audio from the Houston show.

From what I have heard Zoo TV DC was shot for a possible Pay per view that never happened obviously. All Zoo TV shows were filmed though.

U2mixer said:

I think the direction is terrible and add to that the band's seemed indifference and we get a poor visual show, but a decent audio one.

In other words, the audio bootleg sounds like a very good concert whereas the video of the performance leaves me cold.

Hey mixer did u see that video of UV ? Check it out mate , I'm sure u'll have ur opinion changed at least for this song.

Blue Room said:

From what I have heard Zoo TV DC was shot for a possible Pay per view that never happened obviously. All Zoo TV shows were filmed though.

I'm sure everybody heard about all zoo shows being filmed and all , but now I ask how many get a pro shot with like more than 12 cams ? Like ready for a release or a PPV broadcast or somethin like it ?

J_NP said:

Hey mixer did u see that video of UV ? Check it out mate , I'm sure u'll have ur opinion changed at least for this song.

Bono's performance is good, nice and understated - it's just that it could've been shot so much better!
And that's why (IMO) the band 'most probably' withdrew this concert from any cable broadcast because of the bad direction which didn't capture the essence of a U2 show.

J_NP, if you watch the performances from the ZOO TV Outside Broadcast show (circa 92) or the official Sydney video, you get a truer feel of a U2 show and a U2 performance.

Yeah sure , the thing about the sydney video is the set list , which makes a totally different show like , there was the Achtung Zootv , and that was Zooropa Zootv , missed Desire , UV , the old encore plus other things .

Anyway I kinda agree with u that indeed could've had a better direction , but I'm used to Hamilton mate , I can have anything , specially when it's a live pro shot video of UV , dude I haven't never seen any before until I got the Stockholm show in torrents , but still this one I think it's better.

BTW this OB show u're talking about is a particular pro shot show , the special or you're talking about the tour leg in general ?

J_NP said:

BTW this OB show u're talking about is a particular pro shot show , the special or you're talking about the tour leg in general ?

The special.
It was interspersed with 'humour' and parody, but the live concert parts were/are excellent!

Too bad it wasn't a complete show , and it's curious that didnt include like the emotional songs of AB , like One , U V and others.

BTW I did watch Zoo Station , isnt the one filled with interferences and a guy in the backstage in the end of the song ? Anyway amazing , one of the best openings of zoo like in a victory vibe , the whole interferences and the sound of edge and larry in the backgr. awesome

the only zoo station i saw had horrible quality, does anyone know of a good quality zoo tv zoo station video?

Blue Room said:

Are you sure the Fox Special was the Houston show? I had always heard it was mainly shot at the Yankee stadium shows. I havent looked at it recently so I dont recall for sure. Will be clear though on the Mirror ball man part which show its from as the interviewer guy goes out on stage at that point. I will have to check my bootlegs of both when I get home and see. Now the Outside Broadcast Radio show was primarily audio from the Houston show.

You're right, most of the material was taken from the New York shows however, there was footage from a few other shows as well. During the climax of TTYAATW when B shoots the champagne, they show clips from about 5 or 6 shows.

The give away was the Satellite of Love performance. Definate a New York show. I was there.

Back
Top Bottom