Questions about U2's GOLD MFSL CD's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maoilbheannacht

Refugee
3 of U2's albums were issued in this now out of print format: The Joshua Tree, Unforgettable Fire, and WAR.

Its still possible to buy these albums used and some even new, but they are getting very rare. For instance on Amazon.com, there are only 2 used Joshua Tree Gold albums and 1 NEW Joshua Tree GOLD album. The one that is new still factory sealed is being sold for over $300 dollars. There is an Unforgettable Fire GOLD still sealed for as little $63 dollars. With the used ones, they still cost several dozen dollars and your trusting the seller about their condition.

So, does anyone actually own any of these GOLD disk reportedly made from the original master tapes for each album? What do you think of the sound in comparison to the regular CD? How special is it? What do you think of the huge prices for both the used and factory sealed CD's and do you consider it worth it to purchase it for the sound quality or is it something that only a collector could justify buying at those prices?

I could justify buying the gold CDs if you're either a collector, or you have a very good sound system.

Or if you're this man :hmm:
sq-mike-myers-is-goldmember-newl.jpg
I luff gooolllld

I found all 3 on E-Bay for between $55-$65 each. They are all an improvement over the regular releases but UF is outstanding. It really has a 'pristine vinyl' sound to it.

My wife bought me a used UF for Xmas once. I was thrilled and Eliv8 is right, it sounds amazing.

I also have a War copy and let a friend borrow my JT copy that I bought for $20...haven't seen it since :mad:

zoopop said:
My wife bought me a used UF for Xmas once. I was thrilled and Eliv8 is right, it sounds amazing.

I also have a War copy and let a friend borrow my JT copy that I bought for $20...haven't seen it since :mad:

So how does "WAR GOLD" compare to WAR? What is the main improvement of "UF GOLD" over UF?

Do you agree that UF is the best out of the 3 GOLD CD's in terms of improvement over the regular CD?

I have all three, and they were well worth the money I paid for them.
They all have vastly richer, warmer, deeper sound. They don't have the thin, stretched sound that I found so unbearable on the general-release CDs, especially on UF. As for JT, just a listen to Exit on the regular and then on the Gold will sell you on that purchase. It's a revelation.

biff said:
I have all three, and they were well worth the money I paid for them.
They all have vastly richer, warmer, deeper sound. They don't have the thin, stretched sound that I found so unbearable on the general-release CDs, especially on UF. As for JT, just a listen to Exit on the regular and then on the Gold will sell you on that purchase. It's a revelation.

Exactly what biff said! :yes:

I own all of these as well. They are a must for any U2 collector. The sound is fantastic.

Well, then the only other question is, would there likely be any difference between a "used" GOLD or one that is factory sealed? I know how beat up CD's can sometimes get, but most of the factory sealed ones are too expensive.

Maoilbheannacht said:
Well, then the only other question is, would there likely be any difference between a "used" GOLD or one that is factory sealed? I know how beat up CD's can sometimes get, but most of the factory sealed ones are too expensive.

There should be no difference unless it is in really bad shape. Also, a copy of the gold CD's sounds as good as the original.

Also, a copy of the gold CD's sounds as good as the original. - Eliv8

ARE YOU SERIOUS???

Wow! I am a poor University student but I have wanted the Gold master tapes for some time!

Is there anyone out there who would be willing to do a B&P for a copy of these if I send them some blanks???? OMG, that would save me like $200.00!!!

Just for personal listening pleasure, of course!!!!!

And if that isn't possible, anywhere online that they are reasonably priced?

Thank You!

^ I'm in the same boat as you, innocent_eyes!!
if anyone is interested in helping out, please email me inocntgrl012@yahoo.com. I have quite a few stuff that I'd be able to trade with you or anything like that.

btw, are they going to be remastering anything else any time soon?

I have the War gold disc and while the sound is better, it was not as drastric a change as I had hoped for. The primary reason I bought the gold disc is that it contains extended versions of 2 songs (Seconds and ...Like A Song) that are exclusive to the gold disc.

The Unforgettable Fire gold disc contains extended versions of Pride and 4th Of July, but I believe these are the same longer versions that appear of the pride 12 inch and cd singles. Can someone who owns this gold disc confirm that for me?

At the u2mp3s.com forums you can find flac versions of the three gold MFSL Cds

Thank you!!!!!!!!! SOOOOOOOOO MUUUUCH!!!

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

I grovel at your feet in awe of your supreme wisdom...or somethin' like that!

Out of curiosity...
If I burn these flac files onto a cd-r, will they play in my cd players, etc...?

Thank you again!

You need to download the flac frontend, with that your can convert the flac files to wave format and just burn them like any other audio cd. If you use nero, there is a plugin that allows burning the flac files as audio cds

No, iTunes is unable to play, burn flac files, as far as I know.

i have all three. the jt one i just downloaded today but i bought the other two off amazon and ebay. there might be a difference or it might be in my head. i dont know.

the jt file was flac and thats so it is lossless information from the original soure. download a flac program and decrompress it to a new folder, then drag the folder onto itunes. i just burned a jt gold cd.

^ with FLAC/wav files, do you think it matters if you burn at 32x as compared to 8x? would we be able to hear the difference?

Haha! I am making it my quest to own a copy of The Joshua Tree on one of the gold CDs, possibly the only way I could enjoy my favourite ever album ever more! :D

Followed closely by a purchase of The Unforgettable Fire and War of course...!

im gonna take my previous comment back. i gave the jt gold a proper listening on a recent road trip and it really is a great album. the standard cd really does mask a lot of whats going on. bullet the blue sky is a real gem. i now understand why the joshua tree is The Joshua Tree. i guess every one else had their first impression on a record player. the gold cd really makes this album shine, the edge is crazy and you can hear larry.

they really shouldve remastered achtung before they called it quits...

right, downloaded and burned the Joshua Tree. I'm really really worried about my hearing even more than i was before as i'm not hearing anything that different YET though I haven't listened to my old copy yet so hopefully I'll get the chance to listen to them both back to back and compare! can't wait til i have a spare two hours to do so :D

5 days ago when this thread started, there were multiple copies of Joshua Tree GOLD on Ebay, now there are none!:wink:

There were only 3 copies at Amazon.com, 1 for $175 used, one for $226 used, and one factory sealed one at $324.95.

The used disk at $226 dollars is now gone and the $175 used and the $324 factor sealed one are the only ones left.

Cask said:
At the u2mp3s.com forums you can find flac versions of the three gold MFSL Cds

Where in the forums can I find these?? I've looked and looked and can't find them...

Can you link the specific thread?

Back
Top Bottom