Question: the U2-Pearl Jam relationship...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
I've heard a lot of "bits and pieces" about this relationship...that Eddie was a big U2 fan early on...that he totally disagreed with ZooTV, at the time when Pearl Jam were making it big...that now he loves the band again and has played tributes to them recently...that they have attended each other's concerts...

Not sure what is true and what isn't. If someone with the knowledge would please be kind enough to post some of the known history between these two bands, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks ahead of time!

I think it was before 1991, Bono gave Eddie Vedder tips on success, there was some type of relationship there.

Pearl Jam opened for U2 during 4 shows during the ZOO TV tour.

BonoEddie.jpg

That's a great photo of Bono!
I don't think he disagreed with Zoo Tv, at least I never heard about it, they played plenty of ZOO Tv shows.

Sorchia said:
Check out "U2 at the end of the world" by Bill Flanagan. There are several sections in the book that talk about Pearl Jam and Bono's thoughts on Eddie Vedder.

Can you please quote some of those paragraphs?

I would if I had the book with me!

I am being bad though, and posting this while at the cubefarm...aka I be at work!

I can tell you that Bono talks a lot about his take on Eddie and how he dealt with his celebrity. He compared Eddie's feelings on their success to the way U2 felt after JT was so huge.

Bono also has interesting takes on Axl Rose and Kurt Cobain. As well as a truly funny comment about Dave Grohl, whom I find to be a pompass ass :p

Then they can drop a giant Hewson/Vedder turd on Thom Yorke, and Thom can write a song on his drum machine and whine about it.

MrBrau1 said:
Then they can drop a giant Hewson/Vedder turd on Thom Yorke, and Thom can write a song on his drum machine and whine about it.

:laugh:

Inappropriate and semi-trollish, but still funny. :wink:

:laugh:

Zoocoustic said:
I've heard a lot of "bits and pieces" about this relationship...that Eddie was a big U2 fan early on...that he totally disagreed with ZooTV, at the time when Pearl Jam were making it big...that now he loves the band again and has played tributes to them recently...that they have attended each other's concerts...

Not sure what is true and what isn't. If someone with the knowledge would please be kind enough to post some of the known history between these two bands, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks ahead of time!

Yeah, you can find an online account of Eddie Vedder as a U2 fanboy, wearing buttons on his jacket and shit, apparently he met Bono back in the mid 80's, and Bono was really cool to him.

Anyhow, fast forward to ZooTv, Eddie felt like it was a bunch of B.S. and that U2 should be sticking to their guns, I figure he got the irony but thought it was sort of stupid for a band that was so important to be making such a mockery of themselves.

As was said, PJ opened for U2 on ZooTv in Europe (summer 92) on a few shows, basically got booed off the stage once but there was a respect between Eddie and Bono at least. I've seen Jeff pay them their dues and MIke was at that Irving Plaza show in 2001, fair to say those 3 are or at least were U2 fans at one time. I've never heard Stone say anything either way.

And yes, I think they were on stage together, both Bono w/Pearl Jam (Rockin in the Free World) and Eddie with U2 in Toronto on the last tour (Ol Man River). And they are playing together in Hawaii at the end of the year. Hope to see some collaborations.

theu2fly said:
I think it was before 1991, Bono gave Eddie Vedder tips on success, there was some type of relationship there.

Pearl Jam opened for U2 during 4 shows during the ZOO TV tour.

If I remember correctly they were in Italy, and Pearl Jam had a hard time getting the audiances attention.

djerdap said:

Can you please quote some of those paragraphs?

Here's a couple:
From U2 At The End of the World:

"The scene that they come out of has a lot of rules, actually," Bono says of Pearl Jam. "There's quite a code. Like with a lot of clubs, that can be quite rigid.
I do think Pearl Jam are transcendant of their scene..its an aftertaste of the sixties counterculture..
But I don't want to dis it because in Pearl Jam's case it a place of conviction and a place where they put the music first".

On Vedder, Bono says, "He's not a rock and roll animal, he's come up from a different place, a place that I prefer. He probably doesn't think he's got a mask and so he might not have figured the various mask of Zoo TV. But he has a mask, and that's okay because the important place not to be wearing mask is in the songs. That's where I live, and I think that's where he lives.
He [Eddie] is an odd character. I like him alot actually".

also after Pearl Jam had won the last of four trophies at the MTV awards:

He weighs MTV's moon-man trophy in his hand and observes, "It looks like Bono."
Bono is watching on his tv in Dublin, talking to Edge on the trailer phone. "What do you make of that?" he ask.
Eddie is suddendly wondering the same thing. Coming backstage Eddie worries that he might have hurt Bono's feelings. He finds Edge and apologizes, ask if he can have Bono's phone number so he can call and make amends and telling Edge to look into his eyes and know how sincere he is.
"I just hung up with Bono," Edge replies, deadpan. And, Eddie, he was crying."
Eddie and Edge stare intently into ech other's eyes for a few moments-then they both start laughing.. :laugh:
There's other stories of course, but you may just want to get the book.. It's really good..
I've gotten back into it again just going over these pages.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom