Question regarding rarity of some CD Singles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bingo

The Fly
Just curious if any of you had any insights into how common or rare these particular discs are.

I finally found a great site today that had some info on them.

They are CD EP's/Singles I picked up a few years back.

Obviously, I can also help some folks out if they want something. :wink:

Just to make sure no one thinks I'm doing anything underhanded, I'm not selling these, nor am I selling or connected to the website I'm linking to. These are links to pictures only. I'm interested only in getting opinions on rarity and such for my own curiousity.

R.O.K.
http://www.u2wanderer.org/disco/view.shtml?images/sing006-02.jpg

Sunday Bloody Sunday w/remixes
http://www.u2wanderer.org/disco/view.shtml?images/sing012-06.jpg

New Years Day - Long Version w/live tracks
http://www.u2wanderer.org/disco/view.shtml?images/sing010-31.jpg

Unforgettable Fire EP
http://www.u2wanderer.org/disco/view.shtml?images/sing016-05.jpg

Thanks for any insights anyone can offer!

Bingo

Ebay has made these all fairly available -- at least these days. In years when U2 isn't releasing/touring, they get scarcer. And with the digital box/Best Ofs out there, the material is even more accessible. Unless you're a serious fan, I don't know why you'd want them -- other than for the sheer joy of owning their singles (which is why I collected them all a couple years ago).

Last edited:
Those are semi-rare CD singles. You can find them on Ebay and prices are around 25 US dollars. They are 1991 austrian/german editions only.

According to the collector's guide at atu2.com, U2 R.O.K. is current worth $16,
SBS remixes $15, NYD $10 and the UF EP $4.

I don't think any of them is all that rare...I bought them all at used record shops a few years ago and paid $10 for the CD's, $11 for NYD and $4.95 for the UF EP.

Great. Thanks for the info! I didn't know there was a collectors guide there. I'll have to check it out.

Appreciate the info. While I didn't think they were particularly rare, I was curious!

B

I love U2 cd singles! They're great to collect! Unfortunately, unless you would try and sell them to another U2 fan, they are not worth a significant amount of money worth noting.

Now U2 Promo cds on the other hand! There are some pretty pricey ones out there! I recently purchased a U2 Mexican promo cd that features 5 live tracks from U2 Go Home. At the $25-$35 range it still pales to some values found for other U2 promos.

Roland of Gilead said:
I love U2 cd singles! They're great to collect! Unfortunately, unless you would try and sell them to another U2 fan, they are not worth a significant amount of money worth noting.

Now U2 Promo cds on the other hand! There are some pretty pricey ones out there! I recently purchased a U2 Mexican promo cd that features 5 live tracks from U2 Go Home. At the $25-$35 range it still pales to some values found for other U2 promos.

Roland what did you think of that disk? I've been watching a few on ebay but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Is it worth grabbing?
Cheers
:shrug:

Bingo, the four CD Singles you mentioned I bought packaged together with the Pride CD Single in a very ordinary dutch music store chain. This must've been some 10years ago. Maybe even more. It was a couple of months after the three Joshua Tree CD Singles hit the shelves. At the same store these were also sold as a package. I need to check if I still have the original packaging, possibly titled JT3 or so. I think a lot fans own the JT3 , the 5boxset probably less.

BTW I am not a collector, I got the 5box set because I really wanted to hear Boomerang I&II and Bass trap, I purchased the JT 3 box set for Spanish Eyes. If you own Wide Awake in America, the 5boxset is a bit superfluous, but the JT3 is a must.

theedge111 said:
Roland what did you think of that disk? I've been watching a few on ebay but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Is it worth grabbing?
Cheers

I also got that promo recently. As a collector, I want to have all those official released songs. And this is the first time those 5 tracks have appeared on CD. Furthermore, it is the first time ever a live version of Elevation has been released (and the first time a live version of Out Of Control has been released since their March 1981 concert in Boston). As for the sound, it is the same as on the Slane DVD, just not in 5.1 DTS.

C ya!

Marty

Popmartijn said:

I also got that promo recently. As a collector, I want to have all those official released songs. And this is the first time those 5 tracks have appeared on CD. Furthermore, it is the first time ever a live version of Elevation has been released (and the first time a live version of Out Of Control has been released since their March 1981 concert in Boston). As for the sound, it is the same as on the Slane DVD, just not in 5.1 DTS.

C ya!

Marty

Cool so you'd recommend it then hey Marty?

Cheers

I grabbed that Slane CD off of eBay too. I just love that version of Out Of Control.

As Marty said, the audio is identical to the stereo track on the Slane DVD, except that each track is faded in and out.

The prices seem to have come down a little since they first came out.

I just had to have the Slane promo cd!

An official version of that Out of Control was worth it alone. It is an excellent sample of the entire show. Yes, I suppose you could burn the dvd if you have that ability. Personally, I don't. Besides, I just like having a U2 collection and this cd is quite affordable I think.

I sold all of my U2 singles a few years ago and was amazed at how much they fetched. The Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses disc (the one in the red/yellow cardboard case) alone got up to about $40. Pretty unreal for a bunch of stuff I bought at the mall in Topeka.

Roland of Gilead said:
I just had to have the Slane promo cd!

An official version of that Out of Control was worth it alone. It is an excellent sample of the entire show. Yes, I suppose you could burn the dvd if you have that ability. Personally, I don't. Besides, I just like having a U2 collection and this cd is quite affordable I think.

So its an official release hey? Not some cdr that these guys are burning from the dvd? I also have an awesome collection of U2 cds and have been thinking about adding this one.

Yes, it's an official promo from Mexico. It was given away to buyers who bought the album on the first day(s) of its release.

Cool i'm negotiating with a dude that i just bought the Sometimes Promo off of! Hopefully it'll be in the mail tomorrow.

Heh, sounds like I need to pick that one up too! Time to start trolling Ebay again!

Bingo

I am from Mexico, and I got that CD when I bought HTDAAB on a store called Mixup. It was available only with the first shipment of the album, until supplies last. It wasn´t a big deal for me, since I am not a collector and already had all the tracks on cd ripped from the dvd. But still, it is a nice bonus.

Popmartijn said:
Yes, it's an official promo from Mexico. It was given away to buyers who bought the album on the first day(s) of its release.

Interesting, I guess I remember hearing about it but I had forgotten. Does it have artwork from Slane or is it just a plain cover? I wouldnt pay $35 for it though. Thats a bit steep for 5 songs that I already have on DVD and CDR in the exact same quality.

Bingo said:

Heh. Indeed! Which one you going for?

Bingo

I was going to bid on item #3866871015 but the guy wants $10us to ship to me :lol:

Its all yours, i just worked a deal with a guy i bought the Sometimes Promo off of so i wont bid against you!!

Cheers

Blue Room said:
Interesting, I guess I remember hearing about it but I had forgotten. Does it have artwork from Slane or is it just a plain cover? I wouldnt pay $35 for it though. Thats a bit steep for 5 songs that I already have on DVD and CDR in the exact same quality.

It has custom artwork. Not from Slane though, but from a promotional picture for the new album. More info can be found on U2Wanderer.org:
http://www.u2wanderer.org/disco/pr151.html

As for the price. To each his/her own. You should see what the Excerpts From Rattle & Hum promo does, or the vinyl promos for The Best Of collections. And for me $35 isn't that much, as it includes shipping. Converted to euros it was about 26 euro, which is slighty above the price of a regular CD (which most of the time still cost 20 euro here for a new title).

Popmartijn said:

It has custom artwork. Not from Slane though, but from a promotional picture for the new album. More info can be found on U2Wanderer.org:
http://www.u2wanderer.org/disco/pr151.html

As for the price. To each his/her own. You should see what the Excerpts From Rattle & Hum promo does, or the vinyl promos for The Best Of collections. And for me $35 isn't that much, as it includes shipping. Converted to euros it was about 26 euro, which is slighty above the price of a regular CD (which most of the time still cost 20 euro here for a new title).

Oh, I know for collectors of the official items thats not a bad deal. My deal is more of if it has something I cant get anywhere else or has never been released, then its worth it to me. Like say they put all of Mysterious Ways from Slane on that disc. I would gladly shell out the $35 then.

Regarding the Rattle And Hum Excerpts, I was fortunate enough to purchase that for $20 WAY back at a record show. Even then I thought it was a bit expensive, fortunately I think the quality is a little better than the official Rattle And Hum DVD so it made it worth it to a certain extent. Plus the gatefold is pretty cool. But its not something I would purchase now if I didnt have it. Like I said, each their own. :shrug:

I saw a copy of that U2 R.O.K in HMV in Bath a couple of years back...and I thought i was some crappy unofficially jobby for some reason and passed the oppurtunity as I'd never heard the studio versions of the live material before...something I'm still iffy about is hearing a live version first, dunno why...just like to compare it to the studio version with ANY band...so..you know didn't get it...!

Then it was GONE next time I looked!! :(

Back
Top Bottom