Question on a part on Miss Sarajevo.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad1

ONE love, blood, life
Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LO
What does it mean, when they sing 'Is there a time for East 17'?

Ever since I have heard that, I've been confused......

see, as Ukers/Irishers would remember there was a group called East 17 but they no longer around....but like, of COURSE thats got nothing to do with the song...
rolleyes.gif

.......me just confused as to what it means.......

tell me....................and I will kiss u.

biggrin.gif

thanks!

I always thought he was saying "is there a time to be 17"

That would make more sense in the song, I think.
smile.gif

oh........straaaaange

cause someone had in their lyrics, actually 2 pple had, 'is there a time for east 17'

and everytime I listen dead closely it sounds like east 17.....hmmmmm

u could be right ya know!

biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by mad1 (edited 12-11-2001).]

interesting. who are they?

lol

*never reads lyric sheets...just sings along to whatever she thinks the lyrics might be*

biggrin.gif

LOL Bullet!!!!!

Damn ur always the lad I want to 'run puddle' with!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

East 17 the group...LOL!!!!
Gosh they were good weren't they????

wink.gif

anyway the other line after (this just came to me) someone says its 'Turn to Mecca'...like wt*?
confused.gif

I taught it was 'Turn to make-up'

Basically saying is their time for all this beauty in the middle of a war!!!!!!!!!

i believe he is asking 'is there time for east 17' the same way he does about hair and makeup etc. he's referring to the spirit, for lack of a better word, of a beauty pageant contestant.
i believe east 17 were a throw away pop band at the time(i never heard much more than that about them either).

that's what i always figured anyway.

------------------
"I want to replace the bands in the charts now, because I think we're better." -- Bono, 1979

well really: is there a time for east 17 ??

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I've wondered about that line too...
If it's about that pop-group I find it really strange
confused.gif

I never really got to understand the lyrics from Miss Sarajevo completely, is it really just about a beauty-contest in Sarajevo during the war, or is it a deeper meaning to it?
I'm not really a fan of the idea of beauty-contests that's why I'm wondering.

[This message has been edited by U2FReAk (edited 12-11-2001).]

Originally posted by mad1:
anyway the other line after (this just came to me) someone says its 'Turn to Mecca'...like wt*?
confused.gif

I taught it was 'Turn to make-up'

I used to think it was "turn to make-up" also until I read the lyrics online...whoops! *lol*

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

"Turn to Mecca"... reference to Muslims?
the muslims were opressed (more so) in Bosnia, as you may remember.

Originally posted by U2FReAk:
I've wondered about that line too...
If it's about that pop-group I find it really strange
confused.gif

I never really got to understand the lyrics from Miss Sarajevo completely, is it really just about a beauty-contest in Sarajevo during the war, or is it a deeper meaning to it?
I'm not really a fan of the idea of beauty-contests that's why I'm wondering.

I've always interpreted the lyrics as refering to pastimes. You have this large population that is in the middle of a war, in the middle of suppression. Yet, they try to continue to go on with their lives, to bring some normality into it. Hence, organising a beauty contest. It's entertainment, it's superficial, but it's also a sign of going on with living amid all the chaos around them.
The lyrics also have as subject the youth/young women of Sarajevo. Thus, "Is their time for kohl and lipstick," "Is there time for curling hair" and "Is there time for East 17." Boy bands are a big part of life for many young girls, now but also then. Should Bono have written the song now he might have incorporated NSYNC or BSB or Westlife.

Anyway, that's my viewpoint

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

On the subject of East 17, you know the lead singer (i think he was anyway) Brian Harvey he was attacked with an axe today and is in hospital he had an operation, East 17 sucked Mad1, I rememerb they broke up when I was in frist year and my friend was crying and i shouted at her and said look its not as if its u2 breaking up so theres no point in crying over a silly boy band.....she neevr really spoke to me again..
confused.gif

------------------
And if you look, you look through me.

L'amore giunger
L'amore
E non so pi pregare
E nell'amore non so pi sperare
E quell'amore non so pi aspettare
miss_smith@emailaccount.com e-mail me :)
The perpetually handsome Mullen appears to have stopped ageing around the time of The Joshua Tree.
"It doesn't matter what songs we sing.
I'm a drummer. Chicks dig me." -Larry
Larry likes to play drums." - Bono
"Larry's always been noticed cos he's the pretty one." - Adam
"Bono, if you still haven't found what you're looking for, look behind the drumkit." - Boy George
A man so handsome, he will never be let sing in this group!"
-Bono, introducing Larry at Irving Plaza, NYC 2000

I know what is meant by the line "is there a time for east 17" and it comes straight from the horses mouth (Bono!)
He was asked this during a interview on Radio 1 and Bono said it relates to when Sarajevo was under siege and East 17 was the most popular group young people listened to,either on radios or tapes and I may have this bit wrong, but it was mainly when they were hiding in the hills to escape the shelling hence the line "is there a time for east 17"
Even though it doesn't come under the U2 banner its one of my fave lyrics that Bono has been involved in

Originally posted by bono-vox:
Brian Harvey he was attacked with an axe today and is in hospital he had an operation

this thread just took a very dramatic turn.

get well brian!
i don't know hwo the hell you are, but i wish you all the best!

------------------
"I want to replace the bands in the charts now, because I think we're better." -- Bono, 1979

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom