Question for those who went to a popmart concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CherokeeRose

The Fly
at zoo station throwing a brick through a window
Sorry if this has been talked about before...but I just bought the popmart dvd (which is amazing) and I was wondering about the people who actually went to see it, did you feel close to the band, or did you feel like you were just at a big show with great music and a huge video screen? also, how do you feel about the elevation and vertigo tours? do you feel the intimate feeling is better?

I saw PopMart in the Seattle Kingdome. We felt very far away from the action, even with the giant screens.

I liked the Elevation tour (Tacoma Dome) much much better. It was a much more magical show. More intimate, a much better stage setup, and I felt they were on top of their game musically.

was blown away by the size and spectacle of the whole thing... but the show lacked any sort of intimacy. In a way it felt like I was at the movies..

i went to both Zoo TV and Popmart. all the gizmo's and flashy stuff just disappear when the band hit the stage. the music gets going and i didn't give a shit if a flying saucer landed in the stadium. that's why i'm glad for the DVD's, that way i get to see the other stuff i missed at the live show.

i saw popmart in San Antonio, the (now gone) Alamodome... we got there right before they started.. were at the "back" of the floor- very difficult to see... they entered from one side in front of us and then walked up the center aisle... people went nuts for that.. wished we'd known they'd be doing that... would have pushed forward sooner.

Early in the set we were able to move in closer- the show was not sold out and the floor did not seem full. The screen seemed smaller than the ones I see in the footage these 10 years later.. it was definitely one of their "off" nights. Michael Hutchence had just been found dead, and I think they were still getting the kinks worked out of their show. All this added up to an off night.

Didn't see elevation, but did see Vertigo (and ZooTV outdoors)- ZooTV felt grandiose and elaborate, but lived up to the stadium-sized ambition... Vertigo seemed more cohesive and purposeful, earnest and warm.

Well, I was lucky to attend a fine bunch of gigs of the tours you mentioned: in different towns, on various continents. But for every tour there is one general rule: You can feel more intimate, more closer to the band. This is only possible, when you "invest" (nearly) the whole concert day in preparing, meeting friends and queuing in front of the arenas/ stadiums – and you are able to be in the front section, close to the stage(s). This phenomenon is well known for the last tow tours, but it also was a fact during POPmart. When you were up front in the barrier cage, you could watch the moves, look at the faces' expressions, judge, whether now there were moments of anger, routine or pure fun. And you are circled by fans, who want to do the same – a lot of them unfortunately seeing it only as a big party now with more concentrating on their handy functions, calling each other during songs or heavy drinking beer and chatting loudly even during acoustic songs. Sometimes a kind of sad picture, that makes you feel nostalgic to the more 'holy' atmosphere these U2 concerts had, when there was more attention to what was going on on stage. Real intimacy now you only get on rare nights, when the crowd is right, behaves right, sings along as 'one' and the band rides this wave ...
Another negative point is: The closer you are to the stages, the more you lose he momentum of the (in all three cases) spectacular stage designs and effects. This 'whole picture'-view (with the band members much more far away) you can only get froom good seats, where you were higher than the ground crowd. I had the possibility on all three tours to enjoy this view, and it was very worth it, too. There you recognize effects and details, the get together of lights, screens, music and stage performance, that you lose up front. But you may have bad luck and might get disturbed by misbehaving fans, too, that might disturb your atmosphere. So you decide, where you want to go. It's not true over all, that 'only up front' is the place to be. And by the way: Guys, that come late, and think they are very clever to push forward to get to spaces, other fans do have, who have waited for ten hours or more, is pure aggression – something I don't understand at all for people, who claim to be fans of U2's music, lyrics and values ...

Last edited:
i was at 4 POPmart shows (Cologne, Nuernberg, Hannover, Belfast).
i always was circa 5 m distant of the b-stage. everytime i went to a POPmart show i was blown away from the very first moment the intro popmuzik came over the speakers....and then the band entering the huge stage...slipping into the great MOFO the big screen exploded...everytime a breathtaking moment...i will never forget.
best POPmart show i've seen was BELFAST...absolutely fantastic, very loud and emotional. highlight was a sportplan crossing the center of the huge lightdome during BTBS. the whole city of belfast was celebrating that day...
btw MIAMI was great live, the palms the storm and all the images on the screen. . i am one of the few who really like this unterrated song...
omg...they had big balls back in 1997 :rockon:

the elevation concerts were okay (cologne, munich).

the vertigo-tour (munich) imo was crap. i don't like the album and i don't like the concept of the tour. the stagedesign was a bad mix of styles...i wasn't amused for the first time :down:

Last edited:
I was at Popmart live in Mannheim, Germany.
I must say I felt really close to the band, and you know what? probably even closer than the Vertigo show I saw in Milan, despite I was standing in the first rows. All those lights seemed really to come over you, and they got mixed together with the songs and with them in a very intimate way, more than Vertigo. Many journalists and fans told that all those lights were killing the songs, but actually it wasn't so. I was feeling every song, singing along the whole time, watching the big screen and them at the same moment, and I got through every note. Popmart was a big success, despite Bono could have had problems. The fans had all great reactions on the songs, which is in the end what mainly counts, this means that they could make the right mix between the show, the songs, and U2

jacobus said:

the vertigo-tour (munich) imo was crap. i don't like the album and i don't like the concept of the tour. the stagedesign was a bad mix of styles...i wasn't amused for the first time :down:

Well, I was there and I LOVED it, more than Elevation. I haven't seen one single Vertigo concert that I did not like. If you hated the album so much, you should have stayed away from the tour. I'm sure some other fan would have been very happy to have your ticket.

I saw it twice, both times in huge football stadiums where I was almost as far away as you could get.

It was still awesome, I felt like the experience really did translate better in the dome (St Louis) than in the open air. At the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, it was just about the worst place in DFW you could imagine watching a concert, yet it was still very cool, and being so far away didn't seem to matter.

Elevation was just about the best pure concert I'd ever been to, excepting a rather poor setlist (all things considered). POPmart felt more like an event than a concert and I'd say it delivered. If I wanted to think hard enough, I could probably find some gripes but I was pretty much still a fanboy back then. My recollections of the entire concert experience, from traveling to the pre-concert partying, to the show itself were all pretty positive. Except for the douche in Dallas who got on stage and offered Bono some cocaine right in the middle of a song.

It was my first U2 concert, and I was 15 years old...so I was just thrilled to be in the same general area as the band, experiencing their music live and in person. Because of that, it felt very intimate to me. :D It was like a big party, with amazing hosts. :wink:

I saw Zoo TV once (Toronto), Pop Mart three times (Toronto x 2 and Vancouver x 1), Elevation twice (Toronto and Hamilton) and Vertigo twice (Toronto x2) and I can't really tell you which one was better...

For Zoo TV I was way at the back of the stadium and it was still awe inspiring, the amount of imagery and "interference" projected was like nothing I had ever seen before or since to tell the truth, one of my all-time favorite tours but the sound was not very good from where I was sitting...

For the Pop Mart shows I was in the stands and this was fine because of the stage design with the giant screen and the central sound design... I can't imagine what it would have been like close up. I really enjoyed Pop Mart, the spectacle of it all was incredible and Pop is one of my favorite albums.

I think my first Elevation show is my favorite though because I was in the heart; Bono laid down on the catwalk in front of me during UTEOTW and I got a high-five from Adam, it was such an intimate experience and it blew me away. I can’t even remember the set list to tell you the truth!

Vertigo was great too, I was on the floor (but never got into the ellipse :grumpy: ) and it was, in my mind, the next step up from Elevation: they kept the intimacy and added a better production.

If I had to rate the tours as tours I would rate them:

1. Zoo TV
2. Pop Mart
3. Vertigo
4. Elevation

But if I had to rate them based on my personal experiences at them:

1. Elevation
2. Pop Mart
3. Vertigo
4. Zoo TV

Last edited:
The Popmart Shows definately had a less intimate feel than the following tours. Thats largely down to the songs tho. With Elevation and Vertigo tours, you were drawn to the band and music more, whereas with Popmart, much like Zoo Tv, you were unsure where to look at times as there was so much going on.

I saw Popmart at Giants Stadium in Jersey, and our seats were crap. Show was great but not very intimate. I also saw ZooTV Outside, in Foxboro, with similarly poor seats, but I felt "closer" to the band in Foxboro if that makes any sense.

last unicorn said:

Well, I was there and I LOVED it, more than Elevation. I haven't seen one single Vertigo concert that I did not like. If you hated the album so much, you should have stayed away from the tour. I'm sure some other fan would have been very happy to have your ticket.

Good answer!

CTU2fan said:
I saw Popmart at Giants Stadium in Jersey, and our seats were crap. Show was great but not very intimate. I also saw ZooTV Outside, in Foxboro, with similarly poor seats, but I felt "closer" to the band in Foxboro if that makes any sense.

Because Foxboro was a fairly small and poorly designed stadium...now if only U2 would do a stadium tour again and hit Gillette, but I like the "intimate" arena shows.

I saw Popmart 9 times and it is probably my favorite tour. I have also seen every tour since Joshua Tree (except Lovetown). I liked Popmart better than Zoo TV because even though the production was massive, to me, there was more of a focus back to the songs over Zoo.

I had front row seats to Foxboro 2 for Zoo TV, and absolutely loved it -- even though it was a bit mind-blowing. There was a cohesiveness to the visuals, the songs, and the setlist that really worked. To me, PopMart (9th row, Foxboro 1) lacked that same cohesiveness. It was like the concept didn't really follow through in execution. Zoo TV may have been a bit heavy-handed in hindsight, but the experience of it was like none other. With PopMart, it felt like U2 didn't really know what it wanted to do. (And they probably didn't -- according to Rolling Stone, as of two weeks before the first show, "Still Haven't Found" and "Pride" weren't in the setlist and Paul McGuiness had to talk them into it.)

I saw Popmart in Montreal it was my very first U2 concert, i don't think it would have mattered to me how far away i was from the band to me i was just excited to be in the same building...lol ;)
I was on the floor i was kinda far...but i still enjoyed myself ALOT! :)

I saw them at Giant stadium twice...once on the floor and I was at the end of the cat walk to the side which was great and I guess because I was on the floor the stage was close enough.

The second time I was at the opposite end of the stadium, someone from the stadium came over and move us closer in the 100 section not too far from the stage so it all did seem close for a stadium.

coolian2 said:

As far as i know, the Alamodome still exists

ah, thanks, I looked this up and you're right- even though it is not far from me, I don't go there incredibly often... I had the mistaken impression that when the Spurs (NBA team) got a new "home," the Alamodome was demolished, but that's inaccurate. You've been there?

Cheers!

ZOOTVTOURist said:
Well, I was lucky to attend a fine bunch of gigs of the tours you mentioned: in different towns, on various continents. But for every tour there is one general rule: You can feel more intimate, more closer to the band. This is only possible, when you "invest" (nearly) the whole concert day in preparing, meeting friends and queuing in front of the arenas/ stadiums – and you are able to be in the front section, close to the stage(s). This phenomenon is well known for the last tow tours, but it also was a fact during POPmart. When you were up front in the barrier cage, you could watch the moves, look at the faces' expressions, judge, whether now there were moments of anger, routine or pure fun. And you are circled by fans, who want to do the same – a lot of them unfortunately seeing it only as a big party now with more concentrating on their handy functions, calling each other during songs or heavy drinking beer and chatting loudly even during acoustic songs. Sometimes a kind of sad picture, that makes you feel nostalgic to the more 'holy' atmosphere these U2 concerts had, when there was more attention to what was going on on stage. Real intimacy now you only get on rare nights, when the crowd is right, behaves right, sings along as 'one' and the band rides this wave ...
Another negative point is: The closer you are to the stages, the more you lose he momentum of the (in all three cases) spectacular stage designs and effects. This 'whole picture'-view (with the band members much more far away) you can only get froom good seats, where you were higher than the ground crowd. I had the possibility on all three tours to enjoy this view, and it was very worth it, too. There you recognize effects and details, the get together of lights, screens, music and stage performance, that you lose up front. But you may have bad luck and might get disturbed by misbehaving fans, too, that might disturb your atmosphere. So you decide, where you want to go. It's not true over all, that 'only up front' is the place to be. And by the way: Guys, that come late, and think they are very clever to push forward to get to spaces, other fans do have, who have waited for ten hours or more, is pure aggression – something I don't understand at all for people, who claim to be fans of U2's music, lyrics and values ...

glad you saw so many enjoyable shows!

wanted to clarify what I meant by 'push'; we didn't do it in an aggressive way; most people who've been to live shows are familiar with the "etiquette" - not everyone wants to be as close to the stage as possible, for reasons you wrote about... you can get a feel for when you're upsetting people and then stop.

it was a poorly attended show (relative to most U2 shows) and some of the crowd was not much into it and did not mind. ie the people who had camped out all day made up a relatively small portion of the crowd, it was nothing like waiting for the ellipse or the heart on the last two tours. We had a two hour trip each way, and camping out or staying the night weren't options for us... i remember getting home around 3am and having classes early that morning... agh! :crack: :yawn:

Last edited:
I saw PopMart Oakland (with Oasis as the opening act) for two nights, both from the very front row, right in the center. It was like sitting in the front row of a movie theater -- almost overwhelming.

I also went to the first night of the tour (Vegas), the first night of the European leg (Rotterdam), as well as the Los Angeles show. I was in college at the time, and totally broke, but I didn't care and had the time of my life!

:drool:

dr. zooeuss said:

ah, thanks, I looked this up and you're right- even though it is not far from me, I don't go there incredibly often... I had the mistaken impression that when the Spurs (NBA team) got a new "home," the Alamodome was demolished, but that's inaccurate. You've been there?

Cheers!

I'm just a stadium nerd :wink:

I am from Italy, and I saw Popmart in Reggio Emilia , huge audience ( more than 150.000 people..)
It was really an event, but in my opinion it was too big.
I have had the feeling , being at a Popmart show, that the band was somehow far from the audience.
I have also been at 1 Zooropa show ( first show in Bologna in 1993), at 1 Elevation show ( Turin 2001 , outdoor) and 4 Vertigo shows ( the two in Milan, then Rome and Nice) .
I think that for the ZooTV , Elevation and Vertigo shows the band was closer to the audience ; I mean that the feedback between U2 and the audience was better (obviously imo) .
Also I did not like too much the Popmart setlists.
I hope to be lucky to see soon U2 indoor in arenas ( til now , 7 shows and all in stadiums or open fields...)

I saw Popmart in Madison, Wisconsin, and was in the 16th row. It was a much better experience than ZooTV, where I was dead center across the field, but my view was blocked by an effing tee shirt stand they refused to take down during the show.

So weirdly enough, I found Popmart to be more intimate than ZooTV, since I was so much closer. I didn't get as good a sense of the overall visuals, but I had a grand old time. Especially when a few songs in, everyone in front of us sat down (!!!) but everyone behind us remained standing, so we could keep standing and had an unobsctructed view. Whoot!

The ZooTV show, I don't remember very much of the actual experience. I have the show backwards and forwards in my memory from watching/hearing so many bootlegs, but that Madison show was a blur.

Back
Top Bottom