Question for them who think U2 are better song writers now...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think U2's music has always owed a lot to their melodies, almost more than the lyrics.

I really don't think hits like Pride, Streets, With or without you or One or Beautiful day would be what they are without the music.

:up: sneaky song comparisons by a certain member here.

Last edited:
t8thgr8 said:
before you start criticizing the man's lyrics, try figuring them out a little better. later

For starters, I was praising Last Night On Earth. So I don't get where your critisism is coming from.

Secondly our listenings of LNOE seem to be of similar thinking. A song that is trying to express the mental state of somone on edge who is harming themsevles. I don't quite get where we disagree.

Before you start criticising posts - try reading them first. later.

Saracene said:
I guess we'll just have to disagree. You obviously elevate the lyrics above every other ingredient of the song, while I think of them more as an equal to others and sometimes not essential at all.

I truly don't think we are that far apart on this one. I'm talking within the context of U2's songwriting. For me Bono has always been fairly consisten melodically since War. He has never really had a song where his melodies rule all over another (although JT maybe the best it isn't by much). So, really the only other major aspect IMO that has wavered consistantly is Bono's lyrics. Thus a great deal of how U2's songwriting compares now to then - is lyrical.

Saracene said:
Some music, yes. With artists like Nick Cave, I don't think it's possible to fully appreciate their music if you totally miss out on the lyrics. But there are many artists out there, some of them great, whose lyrics either aren't their strongest point at all or aren't their primary tool of communication. Many songs out there, including some of the classics, have lyrics that -are- completely superficial or simplistic to start with and whose main attraction is about something else entirely - vocals, rhythm, melody, production, mood, emotion, attitude, sex appeal, danceability, etc. etc. Are all of these aspects "superficial"?

It's not that I take lyrics over every aspect of the song, however when we are talking about songwriting it really is a key element.

However judging a song on "sex appeal" etc really is a bit like judging somone of the opposisite sex entirely on their looks. Sure it's done en mass - but I think everyone knows in the end it's a fairly redundant concept (eventually). Things such as danceability, production & mood to a point are really not elements of the songwriting process - they are part of the recording procedure. So yes judging songwriting on those things would be entirely superficial. However judging a song on those wouldn't be.

However on that logic I can appreciate Pretty Fly For A White Guy on the same level as say One. I totally dig the attidude, production, danceability, sex appeal on that track. Hell even the melody line is pretty damn catchy.

I know we live in a post modern mindset for things like this, sure. But seriously at some point we need to enter the bounds of reason. Songs like that don't/can't/shouldn't hold a candle to well written equally as melodic songs with thoughtful lyrics and meaning.

Saracene said:
Well I did specify that I was talking about the non-English-speaking listeners.

Anyway, I can easily imagine One, Streets, etc. sung with some other lyrics put to their melodies. I can't however imagine these songs changing their melody - they're what ultimately makes these songs unique and instantly recognisable.

I gather that. But as I think I said earlier - I can't really quite get my head around the idea of how the acceptance of songs by people who speak different languages, should be of any relevance to the quality of songwriting. But that might just be me?

Can you really imagine One having the same impact without the third verse? Can you imagine Streets without "I Want To Run... etc"? I really don't see how these lyrics can be disregarded so quickly.

the song is the song, so if it were in different languages and that changed it for you, it would mean that your disconnect with the song would be because of words.

what is the difference between a poem and a song?
why is Bono's Bob Marley induction speech not considered one of his greatest songs written?

You say Bono has been consistent melodically since War, how do you mean?

Do you mean he sings along with the song consistently?
His vocal melody is derived from the song itself, the music.
Even if he approaches Edge and says "da-da-da, this is how I want the song to go". The song will derive from that melody, which is ultimately musical. Bono changes his lyrics constantly in the studio. It is the music itself that dictates the song, not Bono's ever changing ideas.

U2DMfan said:
You say Bono has been consistent melodically since War, how do you mean?

The quality of Bono's melodies has remained fairly consistent since War. Some albums may be a shade better, others a shade worse. But the overall quality was the same. :)

Maybe we're missing the point. Maybe he considers them better song writers now because they actually show up in the studio with songs (or more complete ideas for their songs)... Just a guess.

It's like people misinterpreting the statement: "We don't want to be a travelling greatest hits show." What this means is they want to continue making music that is relevant and interesting as opposed to touring with a grab bag of old hits like the stones do these days.

Walk On, Stay, Peace On Earth, Crumbs, A Man and a Woman...

Probably the best lyrical thing they've done to date is Mercy, still waiting for it's release however. :|

Back
Top Bottom