Question for the Dubliners....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MixingBliss

The Fly
... Or anyone familar with Dublin.

Can anyone describe for me the three locations referred to in "Walk to the Water"?

What is the area near Summerhill like? Where is North Strand? (they're near each other, I think.)
What is the Royal Hotel like, and where is that?

Thanks much to all.

Rosa babe? You know this one?

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimson sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

Summerhill and North Stand are streets that run from the City Centre out toward the towns along the coast, like Malahide. Sunnerhill is a continuation of Parnell St and the North Stand is a continuation of Amiens St(runs past Connolly Station). The run sort of parallel until they meet near Clontarf and they join up with the Malahide Road. The are just typical city streets, businesses, churches,etc. Basically, if you were on the North side of the Liffey and heading toward Malahide, you'd probably be on the North Circular Road, go "past the lights at Summerhill" (the intersection), go to the North Stand Road, turn left, and head "on, onto the sea".

The Royal Hotel is in Bray, south of Dublin and isn't really that notable. It's on the main street into Bray and a few blocks walk to the Promenade and the seasie. When the song says "sea-facing" views, it means that if you are in a room at the back of the hotel, you room will be facing toward the sea. However, if you go up on the roof, you have a very lovely view of the Martello Tower where Bono and Ali used to live when they lived in Bray. So if Bono was the man at the Royal Hotel, he quite literally was looking thru her window, though from a distance.
It's been about ten years since I stayed there, but it seems they are now attracting business people. The pool looks nicer. If you were looking for a nice quiet stay, this is the place. It's near the DART to go into the city, Bray Head has nice cliff walks, and you can stroll along the Promenade. The main attraction would be that this is the town were Bono and Ali lived just before their children were born, and you can imagine what life would have been like, taking in a movie, shopping at SuperQuinn, the snooker halls, the pubs, etc.
Here's a link for a picture of the Hotel.
http://www.ehi.com/travel/ehi/ireland/dubltst.html

[This message has been edited by Bulow (edited 04-13-2002).]

Originally posted by bono_man:
Rosa babe? You know this one?

She literally lives there LMAO

------------------
Zooming in
Zooming out
Nothing I can't do without
A lens to see it all up close
Magnifying what no one knows
Never in company
Never alone
No car alarm
No cellular phone
- Adam Clayton / Passengers

"If Larry's gay, I'll be a man!" -Michelle-

LMAO!!!!

speaking of the devil...

oh well I do live in North Strand, just passing the traffic lights to Summerhill. God is my witness I didn't mean to have a cool U2 address, it just happenned to be quite cheap (and the north side rocks, lol). I nearly had a heart attack or something when I first moved in and took a taxi with all my stuff... the driver was a u2 fan and was listening to the b-sides, and lmao here comes Walk to the water when we he was turning left onto north strand...
redface.gif

I love U2 related coincidences
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom