Question for everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The authoratative view is ATYCLB is crap, Pop is beyond reproach, now relax and sleep easy in the knowledge that the wise one has made the matter clear.

Salome said:
I think the key word is discussion
I have no problem with any good discussion and that's why I have no problem with the threads by Basstrap and Michael Griffith which were mentioned in this thread

I don't like to create some kind of 'everything goes' mentality though
because continious bashing of a band on a fan forum can always be considered trolling

discussing both the negatives and positives about a band is being a fan of music

i will defenitely agree with that.

and i trust that if those extremes took place, that you'd do a great job dealing with it.

I must say, I'm a little surprised by the reaction (by a few people) to my "accidental" songwriting thread. For one thing, almost all of what I generally post regarding U2 is extremely positive. And the one minute I post a couple (what do I call them? They weren't even criticisms as such, more like theories on how the music writing has changed)...so the minute I post these theories, I get totally jumped on as though I've only ever posted negative threads?????

And for a second thing, except very recently (the last couple weeks), I haven't posted much on this board for the past few months because I've been travelling the world a bit. As such, I had no idea what things have been in constant discussion or what the "background" was. But I must ask: should it matter? My post wasn't an ATYCLB "bashing" thread, as as been said. It was nothing of the sort. There is more to life than cheerleading for some mysterious vision of what a U2 message board should be like! It's a discussion board. Topics get discussed. And that's okay. Goodnight. :)

i quite liked your thread, mr griffiths.

in fact, i came very close to posting my thoughts in it.

but the truth of the matter is,
the closer we get to the new U2 album, the more this forum scares me.

bonosgirl84 said:

Why does this forum scare you? (Don't be afraid, I don't bite...well, sometimes I do, but it's consensual and between adults...umm...never mind...)

It's a discussion forum. To have a discussion people must state their opinions. Therefore, everyone must opine. And differing opinions make for interesting discussions. Imagine how boring a post stating: "I love the new U2 album." and then 40 people replying, "Yeah, me too!" would be. woo hoo!

Question for U2girl -

Why is it okay for you to be so negative about people being negative?

beli, great question!

beli said:
Question for U2girl -

Why is it okay for you to be so negative about people being negative?

I already said all I had to say in this thread.

(there's been plenty of more negative threads than this one)

Last edited:
I guess it's inevitable that the very latest albums are the ones that get the most postings. They may be dead horses, but the earlier albums are even deader (pardon my mangled English), :)

I agree that continuous U2 love-fest can be tedious. But while anyone can express an opinion, opinions like "this or that U2 album sucks" with no elaborations are just as dull as people just saying "I love the new U2 album". There's nothing intrinsically valuable about negative opinions.

I dont think there's anything intrinsically valuable in an empty comment, but there can be value in a negative one. U2 aren't above criticism. And we're the people who know their music the best.

actually, I wanted to reply to this too

mikal said:

you have the right! don't click on the damn thread! LOL! if you're that scarred by criticism of an album, then honestly, i don't know what to tell you.

raping someone of their right to free speech is something i will never endorse.

I hope you see the irony of what you're saying, and I will never endorse the "anything goes" argument.

Angela Harlem: no one said U2 is above criticism. However things like what I mentioned before or "lame press pics" and "senile Bono speeches/speak when spoken to" and being embarassed about them (Basstrap thread) are something that is not really constructive - it won't kill anyone to have some more class in discussions. Or saying that because U2 made an album that you don't like, it is automatically a bad album - which is what often happens and there's not much value in that. U2 is probably even more critical of themselves than any of us anyway.

It's also hard to have discussions when most people seem to have their minds made up on U2's albums.

Last edited:
bonosgirl84 said:

bonosgirl84 - sorry for the late response.... Thank you for the kind words. I thought there was some interesting discussion in that thread, actually. :up: And I agree with you......lots of scariness on this forum! I think I even scare myself when I post here too often....good times though. I'm getting exceedingly excited for this new album. :ohmy:

U2girl, I really think it's pretty even on both sides in terms of constructive contribution or futility - for the 'for' and 'against'. The haters do seem to speak louder, but I suppose that is because an angry voice is remembered longer than one praising. And that isn't exclusive to an internet forum.

Do you really believe there can be useful and beneficial discussions on these albums? I ask sincerely. Lets use you and I as examples. You love ATYCLB and I hate it. That's no secret. To elaborate on simply hating it, I will also say that I find it bland and lyrically extremely weak. If I wanted to be constructive, I'd add though that I do think it is still 'good'. There is quality all through it. There are any hundreds of numbers of ways you can respond to statements like this and I couldn't even begin to predict them. But be it positive or negative, I wonder what anyone tries to do when addressing a particular response and using the precise same principle, and in the end still offering no more than just an opinion?

It is hard to have a discussion when everyone has made up their minds. But I guess that wont change any more than listening to someone's views will change anyone else's mind either.

There can be discussions, but it seems when it comes to POP and ATYCLB it's a bit like Free your mind where everyone is caved in on one side of the argument.

To me, constructive critisism would be elaborating why you don't like something rather than just saying "this sucks" - which makes it merely an opinion, not a fact. I'm just saying there's a way to say things. I also find it odd that music or any kind of art would upset anyone enough to make it a point to put it down.

What about Piss Christ? That was art and upset a hell of a lot of people.

The purpose of art is to express the emotions of the artist, and touch the viewer/ listener.

Neither the action nor the reaction are confined to generating joy.

Back
Top Bottom